Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    USAFCFR28
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Alarm Panel Keys

Does anyone know where you could purchase panel keys? i.e. Simplex...It would be nice to have a set of my own and not have to bring the whole Keyring...

Two words...

Knox box!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

USAFCFR28
    Firehouse.com Guest

Would be nice, but the city isn't gonna pay and neither are the people that own the buildings haha...

It can be made a City ordinance that any commercial building will be required to have a Knox box key safe.

We do require it... and the City buildings also have them.

I like to put the reasons for having a Knox box in the format of the Master Card commercial...

Knox box: $300
    Keys for Knox box: $15

Not having to cause thousands of dollars of damages while forcing entry: Priceless!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-11-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling correction... posted while nodding off!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are only looking for the cheap little keys for alarm panel boxes there is no need to require a knox box.

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree with and push for the Knox Box program.

Talk to some of the Fire Alarm installers in your area, most will have tons of extra keys and will be happy to get rid of a few. Of all of the panels in my area, almost all are taken care of by 5 or 6 different keys. Panel box locks aren't really meant to be super secure, only to keep people from poking around inside.

Ask some of your installers, most are more than happy to help the FD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

Knox box: $300
    Keys for Knox box: $15

Not having to cause thousands of doalllrs of damages while forcing entry: Priceless!
    That works every time. When businesses question us about them, we tell them that they can either supply us with a knox box and spare keys, or when their place is on fire we can use our own key to the city.(aka an axe or halligan)

I have always had good luck talking to the alarm companies that install/maintain alarms in my area.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Default Panel keys

We keep the two most common panel keys we encounter on our Knox box key ring on every rig. We requested them through our inspection division, and I believe they just got them from local installers and had multiple keys made.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFCFR28 View Post
    Does anyone know where you could purchase panel keys? i.e. Simplex...It would be nice to have a set of my own and not have to bring the whole Keyring...

when you're going out to grab lunch, take truck to Lowe's, get copy of the key made.

The Great State of Ohio allows for the Fire Chief or their designee of the Authority Having Jurisdiction to require a Knox-Box on places they deem the necessary both in new construction and retro-actively. Forward thinking in this neck of the woods is often scary but I think that we did well here. We have had moderate to good success with this as it is approached very much from the Mastercard angle of things with the customer in mind. While it is nice to have spare keys have you considered accountability of the key?
    "The one man engine company...tough as hell cause we have to be."

"What we have here is a Charlie Foxtrot of the Mongolian persuasion."

For those of you who are in jurisdictions that have adopted the ICC Code series, Section 506.1 of the Fire Code states:

“Where required. Where access to or within a structure or an area is restricted because of secured openings or where immediate access is necessary for life-saving or firefighting purposes, the fire code official is authorized to require a key box to be installed in an approved location. The key box shall be of an approved type and shall contain keys to gain necessary access as required by the fire code official."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFCFR28 View Post
    I've always had good luck with contacting the alarm company and asking for some copies. Had one company send me about 15 copies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    For those of you who are in jurisdictions that have adopted the ICC Code series, Section 506.1 of the Fire Code states:

“Where required. Where access to or within a structure or an area is restricted because of secured openings or where immediate access is necessary for life-saving or firefighting purposes, the fire code official is authorized to require a key box to be installed in an approved location. The key box shall be of an approved type and shall contain keys to gain necessary access as required by the fire code official."
    I agree 100%. Now you just need an FM with balls to standup to commisioner's who don't want to enact an ordiance because "it will cause the business owners money"!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    I agree 100%. Now you just need an FM with balls to standup to commisioner's who don't want to enact an ordiance because "it will cause the business owners money"!!
    Jeffy, you dont NEED an ordinance!!! If UG Twp has properly adopted the ICC Code Series, it includes the IFC. Figure out who the fire code official is and then have Cheefy go to them and request that they use 506.1 of the fire code to act! I would at least mandate it on all new construction. Existing is where it gets a little tricky. Now, where I am the Fire Inspector, the FCO mandated it. Buisinesses complain, but when I tell them what it costs to replace a set of commercial doors, they usually fall in line.

Additionally, I encourage businesses to key all their locks alike, so that they can get away with the small, "residential" model knox box- which will only hold 2-3 keys and maybe a floor plan if folded properly. It's only like 300 bucks. They usually agree to that.

When are we having lunch again?
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-06-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Forum Member

If you are just looking for street box keys, and even a lot of panel keys the cheapest place to find them is EBay. There almost always available. Unfortnatly there available to ANYONE.

Thread Information