Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I'm sorry. But did I read that right? You are bragging about your english class and your grade? Please...

Note: Just so you dont think I'm being partial, I would say this to Kyle if he said something like this too. And would give him constant crap everytime I see him.
    LMFAO. I'd shut you up pretty quickly because you'd have no argument, in a way... Wana know how?
    I'd remind you I have a NORTHWOOD education.

Also... it would just be something else to add to your list of things to give me constant crap about...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

My first time out was back in November. I am 21 years old(so not quite as young as some of you that have posted) but there is nothing wrong with that. I was born into a firefighting family, so it was only a matter of time for me to get the bug. I am getting really close to finishing my associates in fire sciences and my firefighter 2 certification so I am pretty excited about that. /off topic Sorry.

At our department the "apprentice FF or Cadets" have the ability to ride along and observe but have to stick by the company officer and follow his command. Needless to say I have done so and enjoy soaking up as much as I possibly can before the big day where I am certifiable.

My first "run" was an EMS run where a 91 year old individual was hallucinating and needed to be taken to the hospital. My first fire was a duplex with a built on addition that caught fire. I was assigned to stick by the hydrant man to assist in pulling hose and then observe a fire scene. I have SOME knowledge of the job, but am no where near content with the knowledge I have. Each day you learn something new. I have been around the fire house all my life, just wish I paid attention as a teen.

One piece of advice for all Cadets or Apprentice or Explorers...... When ever you are on ANY type of run..... take mental notes of the structure you are in. Pick out any hazards or "abnormal" objects in the house, because you never know when you may be back during a fire. One house I was in had 100 slot machines on the 2nd floor, needless to say a MASSIVE fire load and definitely wouldn't want to be trapped under that.

Again sorry for going slightly off topic, it's my first post and I am just trying to soak up any and all information pertaining to this job.

Have a good one!

Forum Member

I wasnt bragging. thats pathetic. I was stating that my english was fine.

Forum Member

This is funny.
    You all need to grow up and stop coming into threads just to comment on someones grammar.
    If you're not here to speak on the topic, then get out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDVFDJnr View Post
    This is funny.
    You all need to grow up and stop coming into threads just to comment on someones grammar.
    1) You contradicted yourself.
    2) You seem to be among a small handful (of like 2 people) who have a problem with it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDVFDJnr View Post
    What is it your doing exactly?? Not speaking about the topic is one. Maybe you should take your own advice.

For the record, my first call when I was a junior was a medical. Got to the scene only to be turned around by the medics. Nothing special.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

My first call...some 13 years ago was a vehicle rescue.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

my first call was a PSYCH and this lady had O.D'ed on multiple pills of oxy cotton and a bottle of wine (those dont mix) after sheriff cleared the scene she went after sheriff with a T handle knife so they cleared it again. when we walked in she immediately calmed down and started repedetly calling me her sexy little fire boy...... yea and she didnt take vitals too well. Transport to hospital was even worse XD

Forum Member

My first call was on our second-out engine for a dwelling. We left immediatly after the first engine and we where heading to what would soon be classified as 2nd alarm! I was 14 . We approched from the opposite end of the street that the first engine was coming from. I got dropped at the corner with my hydrant bag and a piece of rope attached to 1000' ft of four inch. Ahah for a good two seconds i stood there and was in a sort of shock! I jumped into action flushing my hydrant and throwing on my adapter ( the normal procedures, you get the picture). After getting on my hose i heard my three blows of the air horn from my opperator and the call on my radio for water supply. I was amazed at how much all of my previous training was coming back and how thankful i was that i had that training ( even though i didn't always enjoy it). I continued on four about another hour and a half with my heart rate at a mile a minute. It was one of the most draining experiences, physical and mentally. I am so glad i joined the fire service!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    After getting on my hose i heard my three blows of the air horn from my opperator and the call on my radio for water supply.!
    you got a radio? wait, do you talk into it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    When I was an explorer and did ride alongs I always took the portable for the seat I was riding if it was anything more than an ems call or mva. A- it helps you know whats going on and B- if someone asks you to do something, such as hit and open a hydrant, it helps out with that

The only time you would speak into it is if someone called you on the radio, if someone gave you a task that involved talking on it, or if it was an emergency.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Yes we wore radios. Anyone on the truck had radios. When in comes to radios we treat them as a: speak when spoken to tool. You should be taught that the best form of communication on the fire grounds is, face to face. When i get the horn blow to tap in, i normally check with the operator because its much safer to make the possitive ID on where the horn came from.

Your explorers don't wear radios??

Forum Member

When I was an explorer and did ride alongs I always took the portable for the seat I was riding if it was anything more than an ems call or mva. A- it helps you know whats going on and B- if someone asks you to do something, such as hit and open a hydrant, it helps out with that

The only time you would speak into it is if someone called you on the radio, if someone gave you a task that involved talking on it, or if it was an emergency.
    well yea I carry a radio or pager when the FF isnt using it, but talking into it would be one of the worst things

Forum Member

well yea I carry a radio or pager when the FF isnt using it, but talking into it would be one of the worst things
    Maybe where you are, that is their policy. But you cannot make a blanket statement like that.

Like you will learn on here, people do things differently everywhere. Like I said, the only time a portable gets spoken into by an explorer is if someone either calls him/her on the radio, it is an emergency, or the explorer has been given a task that involves maintaining communication.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Maybe where you are, that is their policy. But you cannot make a blanket statement like that.

Like you will learn on here, people do things differently everywhere. Like I said, the only time a portable gets spoken into by an explorer is if someone either calls him/her on the radio, it is an emergency, or the explorer has been given a task that involves maintaining communication.
    yes I understand that.. it was more of a wow thats cool statement. not against it...

Forum Member

I take a portable on every run, no matter what it is, pending one is available for me to take. They're good to have for listening purposes as well as taking orders from firefighters/command. If you know how the communication wheel works, when given an order, you should respond back with something so the other end knows you got it clear. They're very good to have in the event of an emergency occuring.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Every seat in every piece or apparatus we have has a portable for that persons use. It is a must, we must wear our radio. It is a great tool if your working a hydrant or layin inch and three quarter or what ever, or when your working a line or humping some hose. It is especially good for staying in touch with your officer and advisor.

Forum Member

Default fire scenes

Our explorer post has just been issued 2 portables for use. Scince im the chief i get one and the asst chief gets one. We only talk into them when told a task and we just acknowlege the task. But we always have them for calls and drills.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EXPCHIEF5E18 View Post
    Our explorer post has just been issued 2 portables for use. Scince im the chief i get one and the asst chief gets one. We only talk into them when told a task and we just acknowlege the task. But we always have them for calls and drills.
    What if you or the assistant are not on the call then what portables do they use??

My first call was about three months after i joined. I had just gotten home from the station and my pager went off for a call of smoke in the area so i figured it was just a bull crap call and just ignored it. The first engine on scene was from my company and the reported a Strip mall with fire through the roof on sides 1, 2, 3 and 3 stores fully involvedi grabed my shoes and jumped in my car speed to the station intime to catch the squad car (the last vehicle left) and go to the fire. when i got there it was off, all the store were fully involved and every company in monroeville was there, in the end it took 8 hours to put the fire out and we had no injuries, so in all it was a good learning experience and some good playtime.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    What if you or the assistant are not on the call then what portables do they use??
    The Asst. Chief leaves his at the fire house. So if they had to they can use that one. Also on the fire ground they would most likley to be with a firefighter with a portable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuaworth196 View Post
    My first call was about three months after i joined. I had just gotten home from the station and my pager went off for a call of smoke in the area so i figured it was just a bull crap call and just ignored it. The first engine on scene was from my company and the reported a Strip mall with fire through the roof on sides 1, 2, 3 and 3 stores fully involvedi grabed my shoes and jumped in my car speed to the station intime to catch the squad car (the last vehicle left) and go to the fire. when i got there it was off, all the store were fully involved and every company in monroeville was there, in the end it took 8 hours to put the fire out and we had no injuries, so in all it was a good learning experience and some good playtime.
    Got an approximate date?

EDIT: Disregard. Found it, I think.
    http://www.mvfc1.com/
    But this says it was under control in under an hour. Two FF injuries.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 03-09-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

my first call wasn't much .... just an odor of gas i sat in the engine and didn't do anything... since then Ive been on three mva's two fires(one dwelling and one shed) a non emergency fire alarm and 3 medicals.... my station isn't very busy and when we do get busy i usually am not around ... i cant wait till my next mva because the officers let me do work ..(like sweep debris and spread absorbent).. my favorite call so far was my first fire....i will tell the story... cause i want to lol.

it was a hot June Saturday....me Lt.martin( favorite LT.) and Justin sitting on the bumper of the squad... my father just dropped me off at the station and he went up to royal farms to get some coffee.....two firebox tones went out for two different districts... then a third for box area 54-? the three of us looked at each other and immediately jumped up and ran to the gear. i grabbed my observer tag and hopped on the engine. i see my dad pull into the parking lot(i had already grabbed his gear and put it next to the engine...the drive was in the bunk building next door and he was already getting geared up my dad completed the crew and engine 211 was enroute... enroute engine 54 had smoke visible from a distance and on arrival found heavy fire and requested the working fire assignment..being my first fire i was so jumpy and excited i could barely hold it in
    i got to do nothing but watch but i will always remeber it

Gone.

My first ever call was a multiple fatality MVA, and it was my neighbors. I literally watched it happen, as a large, older Mid-90's Ford Explorer left the road and mowed them down as they stood in their yard.

Forum Member

I will add mine from several years ago...

1) Chimney Fire
    2) MVA were our new Utility was rear-ended by the vic's car.
    Travis F
    Lieutenant 29
    LCFC 29

Thread Information