Forum Member

I had two structure fires, a still alarm, a medical call, and one liquids spill at an accident. Of the two fires, we were the third company in on the first and turned around upon arrival(considering the first truck on scene was stationed half a block away). The second structure fire however was a working 1 alarm fire. I did a back lay with the new fire fighter and we grabbed the 5 inch. I was pretty pumped to say the least

My first call. I was down stairs watching tv and I had yet to be given a pager, I heard 2 engines go by my house I was like what the hell so I go running up stairs look out my winow and see a giant plume of smoke coming from what I found out to be a 2 alarm fire, so I run to the stairs and yell as loud as I could FIRE!!!!! it came out high pitched and my dad gone running through the house trying to find it then figuring it out that I got a call to go to my mom gets ready to drive me there I grab my gear ran out of the house and went there had the squad truck pass us then followed it to the fire. I was excited and so hyper. So I then get air tanks set up and then tagged in then about a hour later we were really low on air tanks so I ran to the OIC to let him know we were nearly outa full MSA bottles then got yelled at by him for running on fireground and in gear then yelled at by 4 others lol and to this day I haven't ran on fireground.

Forum Member

My first time out was today, and MVA right at the intersection of where you go into my neighborhood. No one was seriously hurt. No extrication was needed either. I knew who 2 of them were, and had people calling me asking their condition. I got to direct traffic and learn how to fill out an incident report. Then the same night we got a false alarm about smoke in the vicinity of my high school. A gas station a mile away got robbed just after the call came in. I figure who ever called it in attempted to tie up the police.

Forum Member

Thumbs down English teachers?

Now everyone on the forum is an english teacher?

MembersZone Subscriber

my first time out was for a stove fire at my girlfriends house.
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Unhappy

I guess maybe its different because I'm an explorer and not a junior but at my station we aren't allowed to go out on calls.

Forum Member

I was 14 my first time out and a drunk driver had flipped has car on a flat stretch of road. When we arrived they had flipped the car back over and all we did was watch the cops give out a DUI. Since then I have been on lots of wrecks and multiple structure fires.

Forum Member

My first call was right after I got out of school on a Monday. Our weekly truck checks, work sessions, etc are on Mondays, so I headed to the fire house to start working. We got an automatic alarm at none other than the school I had just left.......

Forum Member

My first call was a dud. we were all down stairs watching tv and the tones went off. dispatch got on the radio and told us the address and said the caller stated that there was smoke in the area. i rode out with the first due engine out of are station one, we arrived on scene and nothing was showing, they told me to stay in the truck which i did cause it was my first day, we also had are snorkel respond. after the guys did there investigation and we talked to the person who called it was just a guy burning out in the parking lot.
    since than i have been on countless calls, i even went to a motel fire which was pretty cool, it was my first time seeing a fire tornado.
    but now even though im still a cadet they let me in on all the action except interior firefighting

i think its amazing that your dept lets you go on calls when you are 14.. in my state you must be 15 to only do non hazardous tasks at the fire ground, you must be 16 to ride on the truck, also if you are under 18 you can not go on MVA or EMS calls

Forum Member

3rd month into my volunteer career (going on 3 yrs now), I was at the station for training (at the time only allowed to run calls if I was at the station when the tones went out). Tones went out for a structure fire to which we were 2nd due. Responded POV (we can respond POV and the engine and tanker were full this night) and proceeded to the scene. Upon arrival, stayed side-by-side with the Training Officer who showed me how hook-up the tankers to our engines to dump their loads and helped replace bottles and grab tools for the FF's. After the fire was under control, I was allowed to perform exterior overhaul with the rest of the crews. 75% percent of the house was lost to the fire, the gentleman who resided there was on oxygen which helped progress the intensity of the fire and even blew the front door of the house 30 ft out into the yard when one of the bottles of O2 ruptured. It was bitter cold that night (22*F at 10 pm in North GA is pretty damn cold), so everything was frozen, including gear.

Ah but what a night, still remember to this day the road of the incident..... Silvers Rd.-- nothing better than the first one, let me tell ya.
    Last edited by JR3115; 06-29-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Smile my first call

I ran my first call a few days after i received my gear and pager. We did a mutual aid for a kitchen fire, i missed the first due (yea, i have an 8 min ride to the station, on a good day) and rode out with lieutenant and a probie in chief's SUV. We got stuck at an intersection on the way, but we made it in time for overhaul, we helped pull insulation out of the attic, good way to spend the afternoon

Forum Member

I can't believe it was only a year ago and I was that immature on this forum. Sorry, and im glad to be back. Any more stories guys?

Forum Member

Smile First call

My first call was a tractor rollover into a creek with entrapment. Rode the command vehicle. Responded with a Tanker, 2 Engines, a Heavy Brush Truck and the command truck.
    Last edited by JuniorFF34; 01-14-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by theFIREkid05 View Post
    IMO, there's information that's neccesary to give and information that should be kept within the department's doors and members. The last sentence of your post is exactly that... It would be in your best interest, IMO, to take it out.
    If you need me to explain further, PM me. I don't think I should have to though.

EDIT: He took care of it and thanked me via PM for bringing it to his attention. I deleted his old quote...
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 01-15-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

My first official call as an explorer was an ill 87 year old. My first call while riding along during dayshift was a rollover on the expressway.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

well my first time out was when i was still in training and i was down at a station geting checked off on some skills when that company got a first due working fire. since i was training i had all my gear and uniform on so the capt looked at me and said " Kid get your $#!+ and get on the truck its time to pop your cherry!!!!!!" so my very first time down at a fire station was my first fire, and it was blazeing it ended up as a 2nd alarm and i was on the boster line most of the time.

Forum Member

as long as he is with reall FF i would find it fine for him to be out. He just needs to do what he is told.

Forum Member

This post cracks me up. All the people on here correcting grammar, and hijacking the post! hahaha...gotta love it! Well that was my RANT now on to my first call. My first call was a lift assist...how exciting. Once i turned 18 and was allowed to pack up; my first call was a structure fire.

I agree with the early posts that new explorers should not be able to go on calls. In our explorer post, you have to have 6 months on the post as an explorer I before you are able to take your explorer II test. There are written and practical tests, and you must be approved by the explorer advisor before you can become an explorer II (and get a pager). There have been a few minor exceptions to the rule along the way, but it all depends on the individual explorer's maturity and knowledge levels.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default First times w/ 3 different depts.

As an explorer, on my first department my first call was a CO poisoning in which an entire family became sick. 6 people transported to the hospital.

The second fire department I was a cadet/probie. (Basically I was a COOP student where we got paid to learn firefighting.) My first fire call with them was a 4-Alarm structure fire.

& the current department I just joined my first call was a structure fire in a vacant house.

Forum Member

I joined as a full member waaay back with I was 19.....first call I went to was a working structure fire in the evening.....rode there with one of the 'old timers' in his car (volly dept).....and I spent the better part of the night changing air bottles, losing skin off my fingers from the frozen attachments......and babysitting the portable tanks for the tanker operations.....

Forum Member

now i had been on the fire dept for about 2 months and they were pretty dead months for calls, but easter sunday came about and we were dispatched to an industrial building smoke was spoted so we went lookin for the fire. and it turned out to be in the dumpsters that are attached to the buildin if ne body knows what i mean. the fire was quickly extinguished and we went about our day with our familys and such then a car accident was called in im not goin into details but my cheif was tellin me that the wreck was the second worse thing hed seen since hed been cheif.

Forum Member

my first time out was about a year ago,and it was a out house on fire,i rode to the hall with my dad,i rode on command vehicle to fire had 2 pumpers there..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer Asst Chief Fern View Post
    I agree with the early posts that new explorers should not be able to go on calls. In our explorer post, you have to have 6 months on the post as an explorer I before you are able to take your explorer II test. There are written and practical tests, and you must be approved by the explorer advisor before you can become an explorer II (and get a pager). There have been a few minor exceptions to the rule along the way, but it all depends on the individual explorer's maturity and knowledge levels.
    Yea, thats what we do on our dept too. It actually works pretty well, and I guess it keeps us safe and makes us more use-able on the fireground than someone who would be allowed out on the first day they joined....oh well different depts just do it differently I guess.

My first call was after I had been on our dept for around a year and a half or so. I wasn't actually in the town at the time, but I heard us get paged out for a structure that was struck by lighting (it was real nasty outside...first thunderstorm of the year too) and with my dad being a firefighter, we both decided to respond. I ended up making it to the station just in time to make the last truck. By the time we got there they had most of the fire knocked down, but it was a pesky little bugger hangin out inside the walls. Despite it bein extremely wet that night, it was a great expirience in and of itself.

I actually just found a vid of it today on youtube! haha
    Check it if you guys want to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUeJh...os=3a69kAW2O_w

Thread Information