Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    well yea I carry a radio or pager when the FF isnt using it, but talking into it would be one of the worst things
    I take a portable on every run, no matter what it is, pending one is available for me to take. They're good to have for listening purposes as well as taking orders from firefighters/command. If you know how the communication wheel works, when given an order, you should respond back with something so the other end knows you got it clear. They're very good to have in the event of an emergency occuring.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Every seat in every piece or apparatus we have has a portable for that persons use. It is a must, we must wear our radio. It is a great tool if your working a hydrant or layin inch and three quarter or what ever, or when your working a line or humping some hose. It is especially good for staying in touch with your officer and advisor.

Forum Member

Default fire scenes

Our explorer post has just been issued 2 portables for use. Scince im the chief i get one and the asst chief gets one. We only talk into them when told a task and we just acknowlege the task. But we always have them for calls and drills.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EXPCHIEF5E18 View Post
    Our explorer post has just been issued 2 portables for use. Scince im the chief i get one and the asst chief gets one. We only talk into them when told a task and we just acknowlege the task. But we always have them for calls and drills.
    What if you or the assistant are not on the call then what portables do they use??

My first call was about three months after i joined. I had just gotten home from the station and my pager went off for a call of smoke in the area so i figured it was just a bull crap call and just ignored it. The first engine on scene was from my company and the reported a Strip mall with fire through the roof on sides 1, 2, 3 and 3 stores fully involvedi grabed my shoes and jumped in my car speed to the station intime to catch the squad car (the last vehicle left) and go to the fire. when i got there it was off, all the store were fully involved and every company in monroeville was there, in the end it took 8 hours to put the fire out and we had no injuries, so in all it was a good learning experience and some good playtime.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    What if you or the assistant are not on the call then what portables do they use??
    The Asst. Chief leaves his at the fire house. So if they had to they can use that one. Also on the fire ground they would most likley to be with a firefighter with a portable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuaworth196 View Post
    My first call was about three months after i joined. I had just gotten home from the station and my pager went off for a call of smoke in the area so i figured it was just a bull crap call and just ignored it. The first engine on scene was from my company and the reported a Strip mall with fire through the roof on sides 1, 2, 3 and 3 stores fully involvedi grabed my shoes and jumped in my car speed to the station intime to catch the squad car (the last vehicle left) and go to the fire. when i got there it was off, all the store were fully involved and every company in monroeville was there, in the end it took 8 hours to put the fire out and we had no injuries, so in all it was a good learning experience and some good playtime.
    Got an approximate date?

EDIT: Disregard. Found it, I think.
    http://www.mvfc1.com/
    But this says it was under control in under an hour. Two FF injuries.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 03-09-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

my first call wasn't much .... just an odor of gas i sat in the engine and didn't do anything... since then Ive been on three mva's two fires(one dwelling and one shed) a non emergency fire alarm and 3 medicals.... my station isn't very busy and when we do get busy i usually am not around ... i cant wait till my next mva because the officers let me do work ..(like sweep debris and spread absorbent).. my favorite call so far was my first fire....i will tell the story... cause i want to lol.

it was a hot June Saturday....me Lt.martin( favorite LT.) and Justin sitting on the bumper of the squad... my father just dropped me off at the station and he went up to royal farms to get some coffee.....two firebox tones went out for two different districts... then a third for box area 54-? the three of us looked at each other and immediately jumped up and ran to the gear. i grabbed my observer tag and hopped on the engine. i see my dad pull into the parking lot(i had already grabbed his gear and put it next to the engine...the drive was in the bunk building next door and he was already getting geared up my dad completed the crew and engine 211 was enroute... enroute engine 54 had smoke visible from a distance and on arrival found heavy fire and requested the working fire assignment..being my first fire i was so jumpy and excited i could barely hold it in
    i got to do nothing but watch but i will always remeber it

Gone.

My first ever call was a multiple fatality MVA, and it was my neighbors. I literally watched it happen, as a large, older Mid-90's Ford Explorer left the road and mowed them down as they stood in their yard.

Forum Member

I will add mine from several years ago...

1) Chimney Fire
    2) MVA were our new Utility was rear-ended by the vic's car.
    Travis F
    Lieutenant 29
    LCFC 29

Forum Member

I had two structure fires, a still alarm, a medical call, and one liquids spill at an accident. Of the two fires, we were the third company in on the first and turned around upon arrival(considering the first truck on scene was stationed half a block away). The second structure fire however was a working 1 alarm fire. I did a back lay with the new fire fighter and we grabbed the 5 inch. I was pretty pumped to say the least

My first call. I was down stairs watching tv and I had yet to be given a pager, I heard 2 engines go by my house I was like what the hell so I go running up stairs look out my winow and see a giant plume of smoke coming from what I found out to be a 2 alarm fire, so I run to the stairs and yell as loud as I could FIRE!!!!! it came out high pitched and my dad gone running through the house trying to find it then figuring it out that I got a call to go to my mom gets ready to drive me there I grab my gear ran out of the house and went there had the squad truck pass us then followed it to the fire. I was excited and so hyper. So I then get air tanks set up and then tagged in then about a hour later we were really low on air tanks so I ran to the OIC to let him know we were nearly outa full MSA bottles then got yelled at by him for running on fireground and in gear then yelled at by 4 others lol and to this day I haven't ran on fireground.

Forum Member

My first time out was today, and MVA right at the intersection of where you go into my neighborhood. No one was seriously hurt. No extrication was needed either. I knew who 2 of them were, and had people calling me asking their condition. I got to direct traffic and learn how to fill out an incident report. Then the same night we got a false alarm about smoke in the vicinity of my high school. A gas station a mile away got robbed just after the call came in. I figure who ever called it in attempted to tie up the police.

Forum Member

Thumbs down English teachers?

Now everyone on the forum is an english teacher?

MembersZone Subscriber

my first time out was for a stove fire at my girlfriends house.
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Unhappy

I guess maybe its different because I'm an explorer and not a junior but at my station we aren't allowed to go out on calls.

I was 14 my first time out and a drunk driver had flipped has car on a flat stretch of road. When we arrived they had flipped the car back over and all we did was watch the cops give out a DUI. Since then I have been on lots of wrecks and multiple structure fires.

Forum Member

My first call was right after I got out of school on a Monday. Our weekly truck checks, work sessions, etc are on Mondays, so I headed to the fire house to start working. We got an automatic alarm at none other than the school I had just left.......

Forum Member

My first call was a dud. we were all down stairs watching tv and the tones went off. dispatch got on the radio and told us the address and said the caller stated that there was smoke in the area. i rode out with the first due engine out of are station one, we arrived on scene and nothing was showing, they told me to stay in the truck which i did cause it was my first day, we also had are snorkel respond. after the guys did there investigation and we talked to the person who called it was just a guy burning out in the parking lot.
    since than i have been on countless calls, i even went to a motel fire which was pretty cool, it was my first time seeing a fire tornado.
    but now even though im still a cadet they let me in on all the action except interior firefighting

i think its amazing that your dept lets you go on calls when you are 14.. in my state you must be 15 to only do non hazardous tasks at the fire ground, you must be 16 to ride on the truck, also if you are under 18 you can not go on MVA or EMS calls

Thread Information