Forum Member

Default My First Call

My first real call was during day shift. I got my bunker gear on hoped on to the rig "I have all my essentials done mods 1,2, and 3" Just three of us a driver, officer and me as hydrant. It was a great experience!

Forum Member

Look bud, I'm a Junior Firefighter. Of course I want to dig into the action. But there is a time and a place for everything. While we are juniors our main job should be to LEARN. To learn how to be firefighters. Yes, there are some tasks that are ok, but getting on an apparatus and responding code to a call on your second day is a little rediculous. I first rode to a call almost 90% through my Firefighter One. That call was a gas leak, we responded non code. There turned out to be nothing there. Just a faint smell of natural gas. My point is, take your time. We have our entire lives ahead of us to be firefighters. My department allows me to do small brush fires, mva's ( usually support work ), structure fires ( no interior attack ), ect. But my goal is to learn all I can now in order to be a career firefighter. Just take things slow and learn, be safe. Alex.

Forum Member

I am a Firefighter now but when i was a Junior about 6 or 7 years ago my first call was a RAGING FULL BLOWN...........fire alarm activation at a warehouse wed go to about every week.
    Basically, Its all about breaking glass and kickin' *****

Forum Member

I am a senior member now but when i started I was 16 and was at the station and we got hit out for an accident with injuries. I had no formal training yet and I had been a member for maybe a week when I got it. Our SOGs for a junior is that you have to wait by the officers door and if the officer wanted that junior then they could let them on the truck so my officer at that time let me on. We got there and I laid down some oil dry and swept up the road of debris.

For everyone saying that Juniors and explorers shouldn't be on calls think of it this way. Would you rather be rolling hose. Like I said above it should be at the officers discretion. If its a call that doesn't seem fitting for a younger member then they shouldn't go per the officers. I learned a lot by just going to the scene and watching. Let me rephrase that, I am still learning every time I go out to a call. Something is different with every call.

Forum Member

I was a few months in after joining the explorer post I'm in now.. Anyways - We did our first Ride Along and the whole department(5 stations) was quiet the whole entire day, until about 4:30pm.. Tones went out and we got a wreck on the highway.. After that I didn't run a call for awhile even with myself riding 5-6 times.. Now, I've been an explorer for almost two years (October), and I have run at least 75-100 calls already.. Not a lot but as an explorer that's plenty =P
    Explorer and Junior Firefighter

Forum Member

My first call was a grass fire next to railroad tracks. That summer was very dry and the train came by and was sparking for some reason and caught the grass on fire.
    Not a serial killer but I do keep a sharp knife!
    MY VIEWS DO NOT REFLECT those of my department or county.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information