Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy The Fire Department Is Going To Be Mad At Me

Ummm...eerrrr.. OK

"Singing" Pyromaniac Suspect

Woman caught after singing about fires in the Wawa
    Updated 11:52 AM EST, Wed, Feb 11, 2009

Police say a 19-year old woman purposely set 7 fires overnight in Drexel Hill, Delaware County.

The song goes something like this: “The fire department is going to be mad at me.”

Police say 19-year-old Amanda Gessner set 7 fires within a couple of hours overnight.
    Upper Darby police say the woman who sang that song inside a local Wawa is the same 19-year old woman who set 7 fires overnight.

Her singing was caught on the store’s surveillance camera.

Police say she’s the classic example of a pyromaniac. They say she showed up at previous fires and took pictures.

Amanda Gessner was arrested Tuesday and is charged with 7 arsons. She told the judge she was mentally ill and needed help.

Police say three of the fires set overnight were set at homes on Blanchard Rd., Lasher Rd., and Childs Avenue. in Drexel HIll.

A family of four lived in one of the homes and they all got out ok.

Police say they DO NOT think Gessner has any connection to the Coatesville arsons cases.

Forum Member

whats a wawa

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    whats a wawa
    Well now that all depends. Depends on if you're from Canada, in which case a "Wawa" is the home of the Grey Goose, Wawa, Ontario.

If you're from further south a ways then its a mis-pronounciation of "water".

If you're from even further south, then its a gas station and coffee shop, something like Macs or 7-11.

whats a wawa

Its all of the above as well as a special effects pedal used by guitarists.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

What's the saying about the mentally incompetent and the correlation between their existence and job security?

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Well now that all depends. Depends on if you're from Canada, in which case a "Wawa" is the home of the Grey Goose, Wawa, Ontario.

If you're from even further south, then its a gas station and coffee shop, something like Macs or 7-11.
    On the other hand, if you go a bit further north, it becomes a "Pet-a"-wawa.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

Blasphemy! How dare you compare a wawa to a lowly 7-11? Haha, wawa is an amazing food store that's open 24 hours a day, and serves hot food, made to order, for the whole 24 hours. Very much the friend of EMS for the munchies after a 2am run, lol.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler View Post
    Blasphemy! How dare you compare a wawa to a lowly 7-11? Haha, wawa is an amazing food store that's open 24 hours a day, and serves hot food, made to order, for the whole 24 hours. Very much the friend of EMS for the munchies after a 2am run, lol.
    Good thing she didn't burn the wawa down!

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Agreed! I have spent many nights and afternoons posted at the Wawa when I worked my old EMS job. Plus they got the cheapest gas prices around...well for the most part....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

I agree Wawa is vastly superior to 7 -11 and many do not sell gas. It is home to a wonderful meatball sub available 24-7. I depend on Wawa for subsistence. Wawa puts Subway, Quiznoz, Blimpie, Etc. to shame.

Guess I got the point across eh?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

More importantly fresh coffee every hour of the day, every day of the year!

Wawa is without a doubt the best "convenience" store I have ever seen. Decent HOAGIES, soup, hot sandwiches, no sur-charge ATM.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

whats a wawa

a better version of 7-11 located in PA and NJ
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

whats a wawa
    You're not from around here, are you?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Teaching moment...

1. She is a "spree" arsonist, not a serial arsonist. The difference is a serial arsonist sets three or more fires with a cooling off period in between. A spree arsonist has no cooling off period.

2. Don't ever use the word "pyromaniac". Pyromania is a psychological diagnosis that is very complex and may be rarer than World Championship flags in Wrigley Field.

3. Pay attention to the crowd, especially during periods of unusual fire activity. If you begin seeing common faces, TELL SOMEONE!

4. Succesful investigations occur OUTSIDE the box, not inside it. If there are indications the fire may be incendiary, get officers out to the convenience stores, fast food joints and gas stations. This is where the urchins hang out.

5. Talk to your neighbors. Arson doesn't end at the town line.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thumbs up

Thanks George, there actually was a moment of "teacher" here. I have never heard the term "spree" in reference to arson cases and would never have associated it with what took place.

Your other points are great reminders too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    2. Don't ever use the word "pyromaniac". Pyromania is a psychological diagnosis that is very complex and may be rarer than World Championship flags in Wrigley Field. OWCH!!!!!!

3. Pay attention to the crowd, especially during periods of unusual fire activity. If you begin seeing common faces, TELL SOMEONE!
    Going along with comments posted in a fire photography thread located in the "Tactics" section, good buffs and investigators who are taking photos should always include a few indiscreet "crowd" shots whenever possible.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information