Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Diesel exhaust removal

Looking for someone to share their successful diesel exhaust removal narrative with me please. I have two successful grant narratives to share one for scba, air compressor, cascade, fill station, rit packs and tools. The other turn out gear, washer/dryer, lockers, and pagers. You can e mail me at ampaul@centurytel.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    Looking for someone to share their successful diesel exhaust removal narrative with me please. I have two successful grant narratives to share one for scba, air compressor, cascade, fill station, rit packs and tools. The other turn out gear, washer/dryer, lockers, and pagers. You can e mail me at ampaul@centurytel.net
    A copy has been sent.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just remember, FEMA has been much more stringent on exhaust removal grants in the past few years, and have focused on career departments with 24/7 staffing.

Quote Originally Posted by celsokid View Post
    Just remember, FEMA has been much more stringent on exhaust removal grants in the past few years, and have focused on career departments with 24/7 staffing.
    Not neccessarily. We got ours last year and we're strictly volunteer.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

For 2009 there have been changes to "Modifications to Facilities".

1) Structure built after 2003 are not eligible for funding.

2) Stations with sleeping quarters and occupied 24/7 are the highest priorities.

3) Exhaust extraction systems are a higer priority. (Meaning systems like Plymovent etc. will score higher vs. a system like Ward and wall mounted units will score lower).

A call/volunteer department can apply, they just recieve a lower score.

Forum Member

admpaul I shipped you a copy today, good luck.

Forum Member

Copy of ours also sent (requested by DragonFyre)

Jon

Default Not sure if ours is successful yet...

I put in for an exhaust removal system for FY 2008 and still haven't heard back, so I donít know if I have a good or bad narrative. I'm a tad bummed because we meet and exceed all the stated high priority criteria: structure built pre-2003, full time station staffed 24/7, shared public facility with other village departments AND the building is open to the public 7 days a week, for 14 hours a dayÖ all of which is well explained in my narrative. Hopefully we fall on the good side of the cut-off letters in the next few weeks.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Any evaluation points for wether turnout gear stored in appartus bay (fumes very bad for gear) vs stored elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Any evaluation points for wether turnout gear stored in appartus bay (fumes very bad for gear) vs stored elsewhere?
    I was told that's important to mention. That's yet another hat in our feather toward justification for a system since our bay is very small and the gear is stuffed around the trucks.

The waiting is killing me!
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

I have a successful application from 2007 - on its way via email.

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember this being discussed in another thread, but I can't find it. Anyway, here's a question for you guys that have a bit more experience with exhaust removal systems...

I'm working with our local EMS agency on an exhaust removal grant. The problem is, they're running all newer units with the new exhaust. What kind of systems are you guys using for these, as it's my understanding that Plymovent and some others will void the warrantee?

If you have any websites or links, I'd appreciate it. That way I can find some more info and dealer info.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were succesful in 2007. Volunteer with attached occupied village office 40+ hours a week and a community room.

I can tell you that this was a very frustrating grant to see to the close. We had some great customer service from our company that was awarded the bid, however it was a long road to get the bid awarded.

I can tell you that as with any grant, document everything you can and when you go to bid, the specs you use must be your own and not lean towards one company.

In case you have not gone to the FEMA workshop, they have it in the handout and the class that "if a vendor supplies you with bid specs, that vendor can not bid on the project". The workshop spent a great amount of time talking about vendor conflicts with department purchases and planning for purchases.

As a department we researched the type of system that we wanted and are very pleased with our end result, just make sure that the system you get is what you need, and seroiusly look at the customer service and maintence track record.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    That's kind of what I'm looking for, but I think that Plymovent is pretty much ruled out, as GMC avoids the warrantee if that kind of system is used on the exhaust of their 4500/5500 units.

I've heard the Neiderman (spelling?) system is OK for use with these trucks, as well as some others out there, but I'm having trouble finding any information, let alone dealer info, on any of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    That's kind of what I'm looking for, but I think that Plymovent is pretty much ruled out, as GMC avoids the warrantee if that kind of system is used on the exhaust of their 4500/5500 units.

I've heard the Neiderman (spelling?) system is OK for use with these trucks, as well as some others out there, but I'm having trouble finding any information, let alone dealer info, on any of them.
    Catch,

Here's a couple of links.

http://www.magnegrip.com/

http://www.nederman.com/Segment%20sites/Fire.aspx

Forum Member

Default Diesel exhaust removal

that talk about GM voiding warranties is untrue i have seen a number of vehicles attached to the Plymovent type system with no problems

Forum Member

lifeisfire, It is very true, we took delivery of two ambulances mounted of new Chevy 4500 chasis. We contacted Chevy direct and they told us that if we were to connect our ploymovent to it, the warrenty for the exhaust and engine is null and voided. I believe it has something to do with the turbo charger.

Forum Member

Default exhaust

How can that be it only sucks the exhaust sounds like GM dosent understand whats going on whats the difference between the other systems

Forum Member

Alot of it has to do with the new emission equipment. I'm not real sure why, but I know what Chevy told us. I have also been told the same thing from a couple of ambulance reps. But since we were told from the horses mouth, we'll trust what they say.

Thread Information