1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default Looking for a FF job? Cheyenne Fire and Rescue

    As of today, Cheyenne Fire and Rescue in Wyoming, has 38 applicants for our next test in June. We are an ALS department with 5 stations. Could be up to 10 openings in the next 2 years. Proby FF will start at $3650 a month. After 5 years a FF1 will make $4462. These are current salaries which go up each year with raises. EMT and College Degree are not required but points are given for cert. Deadline for applications is Feb 27. Here is the website announcement. https://www.cheyennecity.org/Documen...?DID=1672&DL=1 Please do not say that you read it on this site. Don't know if well get in trouble or not.
    Last edited by fire19981; 02-12-2009 at 03:17 PM.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    is there a way i can contact you if i have more questions?

  4. #4
    Early Adopter
    cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire19981 View Post
    Here is the website announcement. https://www.cheyennecity.org/Documen...?DID=1672&DL=1 Please do not say that you read it on this site. Don't know if well get in trouble or not.
    I know there are a lot of guys out there dying for a fire job, but I'm not sure I would want to work for a department where I might "get in trouble" for posting their job announcement on a Web site... Just sayin'.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Any pay credits given for those who are cert Fire I and II and EMT-B prior to application?

    I personally am not eligible, but just wondering all the same.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    I've been to Wyoming to teach about 4 times. If you are young, single and not afraid of a little adventure, this could be a GREAT job. I found the folks in WY to be as friendly and hospitable as anywhere I have ever been. It is also beautiful country. Truly the "wide open spaces".
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I've been to Wyoming to teach about 4 times. If you are young, single and not afraid of a little adventure, this could be a GREAT job. I found the folks in WY to be as friendly and hospitable as anywhere I have ever been. It is also beautiful country. Truly the "wide open spaces".
    I only got to pass through on my travel from Victoria to Washington, but I agree with George about the folks out there, and the countryside. And MtnFire would agree too!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I only got to pass through on my travel from Victoria to Washington, but I agree with George about the folks out there, and the countryside. And MtnFire would agree too!
    i agree i worked around that area for a few months. it really is incredible, and the people where great.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    I concur with the comments from everyone. Its a great city, also a great place to raise a family. Your cost of living is pretty darn good aswell. One thing, anyone from the South going up there, its quite challenging in the winter, heat exhaustion is probably not going to be one of your occupational hazards fighting fires in winter here.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Does Cheyenne Fire and Rescue run a lot on the Interstates there (vehicle extrication, etc)? If I am correct I believe I-80 and I-25 intersect in that area. Also, when you say you run ALS service, is that ALS engines or ALS ambulance? Thank you.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    115

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    Does Cheyenne Fire and Rescue run a lot on the Interstates there (vehicle extrication, etc)? If I am correct I believe I-80 and I-25 intersect in that area. Also, when you say you run ALS service, is that ALS engines or ALS ambulance? Thank you.
    A quick look at the departments website will give you quite a bit of information. Looks like they run als engine companies. No gut buckets in sight!

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    I know there are a lot of guys out there dying for a fire job, but I'm not sure I would want to work for a department where I might "get in trouble" for posting their job announcement on a Web site... Just sayin'.
    You never know how people will react thats why we put that in there. Its a great Department with a strong union. We run ALS engines. A private ambulance is contracted with the city to do all transports. Our last list had 24guys on it and it went to the bottom. You do get points for FF 1-2 and EMT. You will be required to live within 25 miles of the city limits for the first 5 years. After that it is 50. All new hires will go thru a 16 week academy. The cost of living is pretty reasonable. As of right now, we do not run the interstates, the vollies do. We are planning on taking over the interstates that travel thru city limits pretty soon. We also have a great training facility with a 2 story burn building and 5 story tower, that was built 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Fire1998; 02-17-2009 at 03:46 PM.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Sounds great, sorry I missed this.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire1998 View Post
    You never know how people will react thats why we put that in there. Its a great Department with a strong union. We run ALS engines. A private ambulance is contracted with the city to do all transports. Our last list had 24guys on it and it went to the bottom. You do get points for FF 1-2 and EMT. You will be required to live within 25 miles of the city limits for the first 5 years. After that it is 50. All new hires will go thru a 16 week academy. The cost of living is pretty reasonable. As of right now, we do not run the interstates, the vollies do. We are planning on taking over the interstates that travel thru city limits pretty soon. We also have a great training facility with a 2 story burn building and 5 story tower, that was built 5 years ago.
    I know that I missed this opportunity but I would kill to be down there. I'm gonna make sure and get to the next cycle.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire1998 View Post
    You never know how people will react thats why we put that in there. Its a great Department with a strong union. We run ALS engines. A private ambulance is contracted with the city to do all transports. Our last list had 24guys on it and it went to the bottom. You do get points for FF 1-2 and EMT. You will be required to live within 25 miles of the city limits for the first 5 years. After that it is 50. All new hires will go thru a 16 week academy. The cost of living is pretty reasonable. As of right now, we do not run the interstates, the vollies do. We are planning on taking over the interstates that travel thru city limits pretty soon. We also have a great training facility with a 2 story burn building and 5 story tower, that was built 5 years ago.
    Since this was 3 years ago, did they take over the interstates?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Wothin the city limits they did I have come to find out. The county fire districts and the ambulance service (AMR, I believe) run the interstates, US highways, state highways and county roads outside of city limits. The county fd's are primarily volunteer with one combination department.
    FF II, EMT, Fire Instructor I, Fire Officer I

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. City of Cheyenne is testing
    By Cheyennefire279 in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
  2. come test in cheyenne, WY
    By Cheyennefire279 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM
  3. Cheyenne, WY Fire Dept.
    By BJRubino in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 09:19 PM
  4. Florida--Polk County Fire and Rescue Gets New Fire Chief
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2002, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register