+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
    Forum Member

Wow, sorry to hear they BS'd you Cincy. It may be their way of finding any excuse to reduce the list seeing as there have been 60 appeals.

On a side note, rumor is that the Police are going to go through this exact same process come next year (grant, retirees leaving and such).

Forum Member

has anyone had any good news come there way?

Forum Member

Another update for everyone. The city at this point has not accepted the grant. I do not know this for sure but it would seem if they accepted the grant it would have to be for all 40 positions. As of right now there have been around 20 separations from the fire department since the first of the year, so they would only have waivers for 20 of the 40 positions at this point.

Also the contract for Local 48 (firefighter's Union) expired May 31, 2010. Currently there is an ongoing process of negotiations. If the city were to accept this grant they would not be allowed to lay any people off for 3 years. They would lose their leverage in negotiations to threaten layoffs to negotiate cuts, so I would not expect the city to accept this grant anytime before contract negotiations are completed. That is probably still some months away from happening.

There are for sure 19 positions that will be vacated by February 2011 due to the drop and up to 21 depending on if the city hires the new Chief and one Assistant chief from the outside or not. That should give them the 40 positions needed to get waivers for the grant if they still wanted.

One thing everyone here should note is the present Chief is one of those positions. They have posted to hire a new Chief. I will post the link for the brochure of the position at the end of this post. If you scroll down the brochure and read under "opportunities and challenges" you will read the last item is to explore the feasibility of responding with smaller regional fire districts. This means they want the new Chief to explore making the 4 fire districts within the department smaller, in other words cutting companies. If this happens there will be no hires at all for some years to come. Good luck to all.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityhr/pages/-39547-/

Forum Member

carny this was not the good news i was looking for..... but thanks

Forum Member

i got an email today from the city saying that i had to go to the justice center between 9/13 and 9 /27 for my background check. just keeping you updated

Forum Member

I assume they are just taking fingerprints? Post up if there is anything more, or you learn anything new...

Forum Member

i got fingerprinted last week anyone else?

Forum Member

Yes, I also went in last week to be fingerprinted

Forum Member

The two individuals doing the fingerprinting mentioned they were supposed to have 89 people in for fingerprinting.

Forum Member

so is it going to be like 3 more months before we hear anything else again

Forum Member

Im sure it could depend on several things: city/union contract negotiations, new chief/old chief, wait for more openings to possibly accept SAFER grant... In reality, it'd be nice to know all 3 of those things prior to being hired anyhow.

Forum Member

Glad to hear they are still doing some things for you guys still in it.

It will be interesting to know what's going to happen with this class now with the talks of lay offs again.

I haven't heard the number yet, but for police it may be 144 to 275 as of yesterday's bureau meeting.

Forum Member

Anybody have any insight on what they may or may not do with the budget cuts and layoff talks going on. It looks like they hired a new chief. Has anyone that was fingerprinted awhile back heard anything? Was wondering if they would possibly create an eligible list from this process or cancel it all together. It appears that they pretty much went thru the entire process but with the possible layoffs I wasn't sure why they haven't cancelled it yet. I am assuming the safer grant for 40 recruits is also out? Just curious if anybody had any insight other than what's been in the cinci news lately

Forum Member

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityhr/pages/-35060-/

Woohoo, the list is now posted for all that hiring that Cincinnati is planning on doing! Short of a southern Ohio apocalypse, don't worry about typing up your resignation at your current position.

Forum Member

Kinda quiet on here. Anybody hear anything?

Forum Member

See previous post

Forum Member

I would like to congratulate all of those who took this test and are still eligible. The city accepted the safer grant to hire 40 recruits from this list. Perhaps some of you have been offered jobs and to get a physical already. The tentative start date for the class is in October.

Forum Member

Is there anybody still on the eligible list from the 09 test? Is there anybody still active on this forum that can provide any insight or feedback as far as a recent class or job offers to anyone from the 09 test? It is my understanding that a new test was administered in August of 2012.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by runner32 View Post
    Is there anybody still on the eligible list from the 09 test? Is there anybody still active on this forum that can provide any insight or feedback as far as a recent class or job offers to anyone from the 09 test? It is my understanding that a new test was administered in August of 2012.

They are hiring 40 people from the 2009 list. The class starts October 15, 2012. All applicants have already been offered jobs. Any new additions would be someone failing their physical or dropping out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information