Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 Cincinnati, Ohio Fire Exam

The City of Cincinnati is currently taking applications.

Go to the link below for complete registration info.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityfir...e_pdf35676.pdf

Fire Recruit Salary: $35,049 annually
    After successful completion of 24 weeks of paid training, promoted to Firefighter
    Firefighter Salary: $46,265 - $58,480 annually
    The City of Cincinnati is seeking exceptional individuals who desire a career as a Cincinnati Firefighter.
    The City of Cincinnati will begin taking applications for Fire Recruit in person on Saturday, February 7,
    2009 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at 805 Central Avenue, Suite 200, Cincinnati, OH 45202. Thereafter,
    applications will be accepted through February 27, 2009 at the same address, Monday through Friday
    from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or applicants are encouraged to apply online at http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/
    cityhr/pages/-4270-/ beginning Monday, February 9 at 8:00 a.m. through February 27, 2009. Written exam
    score ties will be broken by time/date stamp of application. An Exam Information and Study Guide will be
    provided at the time of sign-up (beginning February 9) or can be obtained off the internet.
    Note: The majority of the exam questions will be taken from the Exam Information and Study Guide material

www.fireprep.com will be putting together a prep package for this exam in the next 7-10 days

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Last edited by Cub2311; 12-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Forum Member

Is the oral examination a new thing? I don't remember that being part of the process when I took the test in '06.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    There is an oral exam on this test worth 30% of your final score. I am taking this again although I got top 10 last time and didn't get offered anything... Their 4 of 10 rule is the most laughable way to make picks...
    Just curious, if you were top ten how were you not chosen. Also, any information on previous recruitment... I.E., how many did they put into their last class. Number of applicants etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Just curious, if you were top ten how were you not chosen.
    Haha...that's something you'll have to ask CFD. I was top 20 in '06 and looked over.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    ... I was top 20 in '06 and looked over.
    me too, hence I no longer live in the state

Forum Member

Question

Hm. Thats messed up. So I take it this process is more about hiring minorities and making sure Cincy is Equal opportunity huh? I don't understand how you were not hired. I read somewhere their last process they put 30 in or something? If you were 10, or 20, whats the catch? Anyway, is this process just to establish a list? Are they actually going to pull anybody off of it or will it just rot and expire in two years. Heard they had budget problems, wouldn't make sense to hire...?

Forum Member

The oral examination was last used in the test given in the year 2000. It was questions such as, you see someone gambling in the firehouse, what would you do? You were graded by 3 people and they could only read to you the predetermined questions.

Another difference I see is the behavioral assessment. I am not really sure what that is perhaps another name for a psychological exam which they didn't do in the past.

As far as people being skipped over, that's Cincinnati's way. They have done that for as long as I have followed their tests. The last list, the number 1 person did not make the class. Whether they were offered and turned it down or were skipped I don't know. As far as skipping for minorities, I can't say they do or don't. The current recruit class had 29 total recruits of which 5 were minorities. Around 1500 applicants took the test. I wouldn't be surprised if more take this test with jobs so hard to find these days.

As far as the budget goes, they did cut out a recruit class that they were going to have this year(2009) and deferred to having one until the summer of 2010. This process should take a little longer than the last so I wouldn't think that a list would be established until the fall or winter. Currently because of the DROP program there are over 90 firefighters that have to retire in January of 2011. That is over 10% of the departments total uniformed personnel. This will be the first test they use to fill those 90+ vacancies. Now of course anything can happen with the economy and no one could get hired if things became that bad.

MembersZone Subscriber USMCFFighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    So I take it this process is more about hiring minorities and making sure Cincy is Equal opportunity huh?
    That's interesting........ Do you have some statistics on the make-up of CFD? Females, Asians, Hispanics, Black, Native Americans, etc. Since you implied minorities may be preferred, I'm thinking the Fire Dept. make-up will mirror the city demographics. If CFD's primary focus is strictly to be equal opportunity and not hire quality Firefighters their dept would resemble the statistics below. Wouldn't you say?

Here's the make-up of the city, statistics wise:

Race
    Black or African American 142,176 42.92%
    American Indian 709 0.21%
    Asian 5,132 1.55%
    Asian indian 1,472 0.44%
    Chinese 1,436 0.43%
    Filipino 403 0.12%
    Japanese 245 0.07%
    Korean 374 0.11%
    Vietnamese 558 0.17%
    Other Asian 644 0.19%
    Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 130 0.04%
    Hispanic or Latino(of any race) 4,230 1.28%
    Mexican 1,542 0.47%
    Puerto Rican 648 0.2%
    Cuban 220 0.07%
    Other Hispanic or Latino 1,820 0.55%

As a matter of fact, CFD came down to help us out during Hurricane Katrina. A stand-up group of Firefighters.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid View Post
    The oral examination was last used in the test given in the year 2000. It was questions such as, you see someone gambling in the firehouse, what would you do? You were graded by 3 people and they could only read to you the predetermined questions.

Another difference I see is the behavioral assessment. I am not really sure what that is perhaps another name for a psychological exam which they didn't do in the past.

As far as people being skipped over, that's Cincinnati's way. They have done that for as long as I have followed their tests. The last list, the number 1 person did not make the class. Whether they were offered and turned it down or were skipped I don't know. As far as skipping for minorities, I can't say they do or don't. The current recruit class had 29 total recruits of which 5 were minorities. Around 1500 applicants took the test. I wouldn't be surprised if more take this test with jobs so hard to find these days.

As far as the budget goes, they did cut out a recruit class that they were going to have this year(2009) and deferred to having one until the summer of 2010. This process should take a little longer than the last so I wouldn't think that a list would be established until the fall or winter. Currently because of the DROP program there are over 90 firefighters that have to retire in January of 2011. That is over 10% of the departments total uniformed personnel. This will be the first test they use to fill those 90+ vacancies. Now of course anything can happen with the economy and no one could get hired if things became that bad.
    Ah i see. Thanks for that info. Still confused about that whole "skip" thing. Just doesnt make sense that people ranked high, whether it being number one or number ten arent hired. Ive never heard of something like that. Anyway, thanks for the info. Didnt know cincy had a DROP program either.

Forum Member

here we go again lol.

Forum Member

Very dissapointed in the lung.....where are you ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Custom designed exam prep for the Cincinnati fire exam can be found at the link below.

Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/cincinnati_f...r_examina.html

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything?

Default just heard today

I just heard today I passed the written and scheduled for the physical test May 11.

Forum Member

how many do they take for the physical? my buddy got an 80 on the written and got asked for the physical.

Forum Member

I have the physical the same day. Last time they had the physicals right after the practice sessions, does that mean they are having two whole weeks of physicals before the 11th?

MembersZone Subscriber

i have mine the 11th too, pleasently surprised to be moving on.. my score wasnt as high as what i expected i would need to move on.

One question tho, does everyone that moves on to the Physical agility test now move on as a group or will only some move on to polygraph and oral and so on... and if only some move on does anyone have any idea what score the cut-off is?

thanks

Forum Member

The most consuming part (time and money) is probably the polygraph. The physical is scheduled sequentially from the best scorers to the worst. After the physical they will immediately be scheduling polygraphs for top scorers that also pass the physical. How many I don't know. I do know that last year, by the afternoon on the first day, they were already done scheduling polygraphs and those guys never did get a polygraph. Things will be different because they have added the oral that is worth 20%, so you can't say who got the highest score until after the orals are done.

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted (words needed for length)
    Last edited by XU2414; 04-17-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information