Forum Member

Default Simulating Entrapment for training

I am setting up a RIT/Mayday training and would like to make it as realalistic as possible. To that end I wanted to have the downed fire fighter be in some thing simulated entrapment but was not overly difficult to apply. I wanted the RIT to have to use it tools to release the trapped FF. I was thinking maybe using and old garden hose or clothline to simulate wire that the RIT would have to cut. I was wondering if anyone else has used something else.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bristolf36 View Post
    I am setting up a RIT/Mayday training and would like to make it as realalistic as possible.
    We had an excellent RIT/Mayday drill a few years ago where we had crew get trapped in the basement. RIT was activated, located a location above the crew, cut a hole and then using a the crews hose line that was passed up, did the "lift" out of the basement on the hose line.

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Entanglement Prop

I just did a part of a RIT class where I used chicken wire fencing with scrap wood nailed to it in a random pattern. I then laid the firefighter (myself) on the middle of it and rolled him up into it. I thought it worked pretty well and so did the guys.

-Flip Fierro

Forum Member

at school we just get a few guys to jump on him after going over a "teeter-totter". I worked well enough

Forum Member

Old bits of romex and phone wire can be strung between studs in a wall that the firefighter attempted to breach. If you want to be real nasty, put in a pipe that needs to be cut, or some of that old wire conduit made of the spiral metal ribbon. That stuff is tough to cut with wire cutters and when pulled can untwist and leave ribbons with very sharp edges exposed. That might be better for a discussion portion of the training though. Wouldn't want turnouts to get cut up. Whatever you do, be careful.

Forum Member

I just did a drill this week and I used some old snow fence

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an HVAC guy that gives us scrap plastic vent. We cut slits into the plastic and pull the wires apart and use them for entrapment. Not only is it cheap (he gives us the scraps for free), it's stuff that isn't easy to cut or break, and it's the stuff we stand a good chance of getting tangled up in.

Thread Information