Forum Member

Default March/April Deployment

Anyone that might be deploying in March or April send a PM. Its getting here fast!

Forum Member

Talking

I had an interview with WSI on Wed. and I was told the HR department should be sending in the paperwork via mail soon. It sounded like they were planing on having us go at the end of March. I can not wait.

just had my interview. said it should be march or april. Did you get a definite date? Anyone else getting deployed? Any word on if they r cutting contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by lafrance4078 View Post
    Anyone that might be deploying in March or April send a PM. Its getting here fast!
    when is your date to deploy?

Forum Member

Talking Deployment to Iraq for Spring 2009

Hey I got my stuff in the mail from WSI. I am due in Houston April 20th. My buddy on my department here at home is to report to Houston March 23.

Forum Member

Question

Message Deleted
    Last edited by Hollywood126; 02-26-2009 at 06:54 PM.

message deleted
    Last edited by sturg2009; 02-24-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: message deleted

Forum Member

My offer packet should be here this week. Interviewed on Friday. From what I could tell, sounded like a mid March depolyment.

Forum Member

Still no packet. They say it is still being processed. Wish I just had a date so I could plan.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood126 View Post
    Hey I got my stuff in the mail from WSI. I am due in Houston April 20th. My buddy on my department here at home is to report to Houston March 23.
    When did you two interview? Just wondering how long it took to get your info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lafrance4078 View Post
    When did you two interview? Just wondering how long it took to get your info.
    My buddy interveiwed on a Mon and got his packet the next monday. I interveiwed on Wed and got my packet on Mon. Both interviews were during the same week and both packets came on the same Mon.

Check and make sure that your CPR card and NREMT MFR, or EMT-B/I/P are all valid for the 2010 year. If the expire before your one year is up then they will not deploy you. So make sure they are up to date.

The other thing I can say is make sure that you have the money ready for the Medical bills. They will reimburse you if you have itemized receipts. The few people that I talked to that have already been there said it would cost about $1,400 for the entire med test if you have no insurance. If you have insurance then it will be less but it depends on your plan and coverage. So be prepared for that. If you don't have the money ask if some one would loan it to you and write a post-dated check that they could cash after you have been over in Iraq for a month.
    Last edited by Hollywood126; 02-26-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Forum Member

Default Got it!

Just got my date!!!!!!!!!!!!! Report to Houston April 6th. Anyone else?

Forum Member

Default Wow!

I wounder how many groups they have going?

Forum Member

From the way Kris talked, sounded like a ton of them. So far between what you and I have seen,,,,,, at least 3. But I believe they will have at least two more than that. We'll just wait and see. I finished updating my POA, Will, and DPOA for Health Care today. They are all in order. Now just gotta start seeing some friends and family before I go.

***edit*** www.usstandardissue.com for unbeatable deals on Oakley sunglasses. This is straight from a store manager at Sunglass Hut. She says that they are cheaper than even she can get. I'm headed there right now. She said to make sure to get a pair with replaceable lenses. Said she's seen them come back from Iraq and are pretty much sand blasted.
    Last edited by lafrance4078; 02-26-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks bro. I was trying to find out where to get a good pair at.

Forum Member

I just went to the website and registered. You have to send a pic of your fire dept. ID so that they can verify your who you say. They say it takes up to 24hours to process. You then will be able to see the prices. The Oakley site also points you to US standard issue if you want their SI level of quality. Standard Issue. They meet or exceed US Gov. standards.

Forum Member

Hey Hollywood. Don't you have to complete all the medical stuff at home prior to Houston? I am unsure what you mean by $1400 for medical bills?

My buddy interveiwed on a Mon and got his packet the next monday. I interveiwed on Wed and got my packet on Mon. Both interviews were during the same week and both packets came on the same Mon.

Check and make sure that your CPR card and NREMT MFR, or EMT-B/I/P are all valid for the 2010 year. If the expire before your one year is up then they will not deploy you. So make sure they are up to date.

The other thing I can say is make sure that you have the money ready for the Medical bills. They will reimburse you if you have itemized receipts. The few people that I talked to that have already been there said it would cost about $1,400 for the entire med test if you have no insurance. If you have insurance then it will be less but it depends on your plan and coverage. So be prepared for that. If you don't have the money ask if some one would loan it to you and write a post-dated check that they could cash after you have been over in Iraq for a month.

Forum Member

I have been working on my med. packet all day today. Its a lot of stuff. I found the local Health Dept. to be the cheapest for the vaccinations. I just paid $125 for all of mine. And I had two of them already that I didn't have to get. HIV test is free at the HD as well. Most General Practicioners don't have the stuff to do the Pulmenary function test or type and Rh your blood. I just found out the hard way, by waiting in waiting room for 2 hours only to be told that they couldn't complete all of the things I needed. At least they didn't charge me for sitting there. I now have an appointment with an occupational health MD. Their office can do everything needed in the packet. I would make sure that whom ever you get an appt. with to ask them if they can do what you need done while your on the phone with them. I'm glad that my date isn't any sooner than it currently is. I'm not sure I could get everything done in time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trmcc27 View Post
    Hey Hollywood. Don't you have to complete all the medical stuff at home prior to Houston? I am unsure what you mean by $1400 for medical bills?
    Yeah I do have to have all the medical stuff done prior to Houston. I have to pay for it up front. I asked one of the guys that i work with that has already been there and he told me that it would be about $1,400 for all the test that need to get done. Like the doctors charge $300 just to take a Pulmenary function test. That is what I am talking about. My insurance will not cover that cost. I will find out the whole cost on Wed. That is the earliest time I was able to find a doctor to see me.
    Last edited by Hollywood126; 02-27-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Tests

That really sucks. I think the company should foot that bill for you up front. I am lucky cause I responded to the WTC on 9/11 and they give us a full physical every year at no charge. It includes blood work, urinalysis, chest ex ray and pulmonary function test at no charge. I just had it last month so I am good. I also give platelets and red blood cells on a regular basis so that takes care of the blood type and aids test as well. It is really hard to come up with that cash up front for allot of folks, especially in this economy. if you get pressed for cash let me know and i will help you out. you can pay me back when we get reimbursed. Good luck!
    trmcc27@gmail.com

Terence

Yeah I do have to have all the medical stuff done prior to Houston. I have to pay for it up front. I asked one of the guys that i work with that has already been there and he told me that it would be about $1,400 for all the test that need to get done. Like the doctors charge $300 just to take a Pulmenary function test. That is what I am talking about. My insurance will not cover that cost. I will find out the whole cost on Wed. That is the earliest time I was able to find a doctor to see me.

Forum Member

Well I think it is a good idea that you have to pay for the bills up front to tell you the truth. There are few reasons for this.

1. It keeps people honest.

What I mean by that is anyone can say they are in good shape and do not have health problems. If there were to show up to Houston and fail their medical then that is alot of money that the company could lose.

2. How many people say they are going to go to Iraq and get cold feet at the last min?

I know many people that have thought they were going to do it. Having to pay up front gives people the chance to really think about doing this. We all have our own reason for wanting to do this. Mine is for the Opportunity to serve my country doing what I love, firefighting. It is also an opportunity to travel to a different part of the world and experience new cultures. The thing I look forward to the most will be the R&Rs. I do not plan on flying home on them. I instead would like to travel Europe and see things that I may never have had a chance to see by working in the U.S.

I feel too many people here in the U.S. just see the money and think "wow that is a lot of money. I am going to do that." Don't get me wrong the money is very good but I feel that if your are just going over for the money then you may be going over for the wrong reason.

Those are just my thoughts. I understand that some people go for the money because it is a way they can support their family. I respect that. I am talking about some of the younger guys.

Forum Member

Default Right on

I could not agree more. You need to be doing this for more than the money or I believe you will be in trouble real quick. I believe that most if not all the folks over there or thiking about going do it for more than the money. It is however a nice paycheck for doing what we love. As for paying up front, I would just hate to see a good firefighter denied the opportunity because they cannot afford the up front costs. In the end both the candidate and the company loose out in that situation. Hope it all works out for you, best of luck.

QUOTE=Hollywood126;1039194]Well I think it is a good idea that you have to pay for the bills up front to tell you the truth. There are few reasons for this.

1. It keeps people honest.

What I mean by that is anyone can say they are in good shape and do not have health problems. If there were to show up to Houston and fail their medical then that is alot of money that the company could lose.

2. How many people say they are going to go to Iraq and get cold feet at the last min?

I know many people that have thought they were going to do it. Having to pay up front gives people the chance to really think about doing this. We all have our own reason for wanting to do this. Mine is for the Opportunity to serve my country doing what I love, firefighting. It is also an opportunity to travel to a different part of the world and experience new cultures. The thing I look forward to the most will be the R&Rs. I do not plan on flying home on them. I instead would like to travel Europe and see things that I may never have had a chance to see by working in the U.S.

I feel too many people here in the U.S. just see the money and think "wow that is a lot of money. I am going to do that." Don't get me wrong the money is very good but I feel that if your are just going over for the money then you may be going over for the wrong reason.

Those are just my thoughts. I understand that some people go for the money because it is a way they can support their family. I respect that. I am talking about some of the younger guys.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Forum Member

Default Info

Fellas, its great to get information from a ton of differant sources. It allows you to evaluate it all and then form your own opinion. Even a proby has good info every now and then that is worth taking a look at. That being said, please make sure that you do form your OWN opinion. With the intel that flys around here, it is very easy to take things at face value and then make poor decisions. I just spoke with the office... all I know is that the April 6th deployment is still on, and in no danger of being called off. Good luck to everyone else. I hope to see everyone in country very soon.

Forum Member

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do or what not to do, but to all who are considering an Iraq deployment you really need to think very carefully about the consequences of your choice...either way. We WILL BE pulling out, so the jobs will become harder to come by no matter what you are told here there or anywhere. Are you prepared to be sent home early....that should be the first question you ask yourself. If so then give em hell, if not than think about what is at stake before jumping in. And just a side note. As was stated in another thread here, the pickings will become slimmer and slimmer as time goes by, as will the salaries. WSI employment does NOT guarantee you even the slightest chance at a position with another company, so if you think going over for any period of time for WSI or most any company really, is going to open all sorts of doors, forget it..ex military guys will again get first crack, followed by guys who have the paper. You want into the contract world..well now that the gravy train is in the station you'll have to earn it just like back in the real world. Make sure that without fail you look before you leap...good luck.

Cogs
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 03-11-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Thread Information