7 53.85%
  • Stihl 700

0 0%
  • Other brand

3 23.08%
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Partner 750, or 960 poll

I have searched and no thread for my question. My department is getting a new saw for Truck. The question is which saw Partner/Husqvarna 750, 960 or stihl. Currently run Stihl TS 400 as Vent Rescue, that's why getting new saw for vent.
    This will be Vent / Rescue saw. There are some people on department not as strong as majority.

Please PM or email any yeah, neahs or maintainince issues. This is for purchasing committee.
    Please keep limited to poll topic for posts.

Thanks,

(poll posted)
    Last edited by rescue84; 03-05-2009 at 09:27 PM.

My preference (which is the way our truck co. is set up, imagine that!!??)

- Partner K950A with the "Warthog" blade. Used for opening roofs of commercial buildings or simular situations.

- Cutters Edge Chainsaw is used as our first-out vent saw for most applications. Hands down the best tool out there (chain or circ saw) for opening roofs.

- Another Partner K950A is set up for metal cutting (security bars, metal doors, etc.)

We also have a Stihl TS400....makes a great boat anchor, wheel chock, also good to use as a weight for hot air balloons, etc.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

need more people to take the poll. thanks.

Forum Member

k950 is an alright saw. It gets the job done, its bigger brother the 1200 was awesome. Don't know why they stopped making it.

The key to having a functional fire service chain saw is to buynew chains. Re-furbs are cheaper, but they only replace the teeth that are missing or very far gone. So you end up with several brand new teeth and a bunch of worn teeth.

We have a cutter's edge and use re-furbed chains. I've taken a chain out of the box that had a bunch of teeth that were practically worthless, but passed the "re-furb" standards so they stayed on.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the current 950 is the old 1200. They still make a 1250 but it weighs 30 lbs and drives a 14 - 16" blade. We have an old 1200 and it is the same size as the current 950's. Check the manufacturers of both saw and blade that you want to use. Warthog recommends a 95cc saw, that is the K950 or Stihl TS700. You want the extra HP for a carbide blade for heavy cutting. You can get by with a much lighter duty saw for running abrasive wheels. IF you are considering Stihl, consider this handy warning from their website:

WARNING!
    Never use carbide-tipped, wood cutting or circular saw blades on cut-off machines. They can cause severe personal injury or death from reactive forces, blade contact or thrown tips. Never cut wood of any type.

Forum Member

maybe you have the 950cc saws labeled k12 or k1200 rescue saw. The 1200s we have look like this http://www.pscnewcastle.com.au/image...%20machine.JPG

the wimpy 950s look like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.gif

there is an obvious difference when you hold/cut with the two saws.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

maybe you have the 950cc saws labeled k12 or k1200 rescue saw
    We have 2 of those, we also have a 950 that we bought from an industrial supply house.. same saw, no fancy chrome or extra large pull handle (had to put our own tool holder on the handle). We also have a much older 1200 that is still the forcible entry saw on the Rescue. All 4 are pretty much the same size weight / size. For comparison, we still have the K-12 that was on the rig when I got on in the 70's. Guys borrow it for projects at home, still runs and gets the job done. The picture you had showed probably the current 1250 which looks like they configured it primarily for heavy duty cutting with the 14 / 16" blade and 30+ lbs. I could see having one of them on a tech rescue vehicle, but the 95 cc saw will cut anything else.

Forum Member

If your going to run a circular saw, bigger is better esp with some of the heavy blades out there.

I know of a company that was a carbide blade a on partner 600 and its a PIG

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

I take it that the large number of viewers agree with the pick of the 960. Could some give reasons for 960 over the 750. I know the extra power, but what are thoughts for the argument of weight of the saw. Yes it's only 5lbs more, but I have already been hit with the just get the lighter one.
    The other saw we are looking at now after recent demo is the Super vac rescue saw. Is there any one that has used both head to head. The Super Vac is 74cc but stayed head to head with the 750 and 960 cut times. There is big price difference.
    The presentation to the purchasing committee is end of March. Maintenance issues would be great for info, instead of just service techs. that could be bias.
    Blades: 14inch Tiger Fire tooth, and Chopper 24 t Carbide; already have Wart hog.
    Carbide primary with Tiger back up on Truck. Tiger with Carbide back up on Rescue.

thanks.
    Last edited by rescue84; 02-27-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger818 View Post
    If your going to run a circular saw, bigger is better esp with some of the heavy blades out there.

I know of a company that was a carbide blade a on partner 600 and its a PIG
    No, bigger is not always better. It's all in the blade's ability to cut (staying sharp) and moving the cut debris out of the way. Give me a K950A with a WARTHOG blade any day of the week and twice on Sundays and I will cut a trenchcut around the K1200 and three trenchcuts around any Stihl TS series circular saw.

Ya wanna go against MY Stihl with a Warthog? You're NOT gonna like the results!Hehe T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ya wanna go against MY Stihl with a Warthog? You're NOT gonna like the results!Hehe T.C.
    TC- are we talking circular saws here??? If so, then YES YES YES I will put my K950A with a warthog up against your heavy-as-a-boat-anchor Stihl any day of the week and twice on sundays. I will cut an entire trenchcut square around you and your boat anchor before you even have a 4x4 venthole breached with that heavy *** thing.

As I said, Stihl makes a fine chainsaw. But their circs? Boat anchor.. Wheel chock.....or they make great gravity bombs to toss at the command post.

I got a TS550 that was bought for me by the Chief while I was still doing truck work. A little heavy yes,but it's been a GOOD dependable saw.Done a s**tload of roofs and trenches.The BLADE makes the difference as long as the powerhead has nut enough to swing it.This saw doesn't quit,if you're trenching(and numbing it)it will DRAG you from one side of the roof to the other.Not many Partners around these parts even though they've been a FD standard for years. Mostly RED or Orange powerheads here. T.C.

Thread Information