Forum Member

Default What to wear for wildland job interview

Hi!
    My 18-year-old stepson is applying for an on-call wildland firefighter job here in Arizona. He passed the pack test and has an interview next Tuesday.
    What would be appropriate for him to wear?
    I say he shlould at least wear a pair of khakis and a nice button up dress shirt, but my husband thinks that a nice button up shirt and a nice pair of jeans and cowboy boots is acceptable.
    What are your opinions? Thanks!

Nan

MembersZone Subscriber

He is applying for a professional job. He needs to look the part. Therefore at the minimum he needs to be in a nice pair of slacks, button down shirt with a tie. A suit is better, but expense can be an issue for some due to the cost of a suit.

Again, this is a professional job even at the on-call level. Look the part and dress like a professional.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brownsquirrel View Post
    Hi!
    My 18-year-old stepson is applying for an on-call wildland firefighter job here in Arizona. He passed the pack test and has an interview next Tuesday.
    I say he shlould at least wear a pair of khakis and a nice button up dress shirt, but my husband thinks that a nice button up shirt and a nice pair of jeans and cowboy boots is acceptable. What are your opinions? Thanks!
    Nan
    Nan:

Question: Is simply slacks and a collared shirt ok?

Reply: NO! Be professional and look professional. If you want to be taken seriously it's time to step up and make the investment in the career you say you're looking for. Get and wear a suit. He will can wear it for other events and impress the ladies too.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, or yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white or off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Black is a little too formal, more for dances, funerals and being a star in the movie Men in Black. If black is all you have, wear it.

Don't: wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off.

This from Tom:

A while back, I had a hand crew test where the interviews were held within minutes after completion of the agility. The agency expected dripping wet and smelly candidates. I took along my suit and a few towels and I found a hose bib and washed up as best I could.

I put my suit on and went into my interview. As it turned out, the interview panel was most surprised that someone would wear a suit for a hand crew job. Needless to say, I got the job offer!

From time to time, I take classes held at various fire agencies. When those agencies are holding interviews and I am there taking a class, during breaks, I still see numerous candidates showing up in Levis, Dockers and shirts with no ties. No point in shooting yourself in the foot! The moral of the story is ALWAYS wear a suit! Wear a suit for any interview, no matter what the title of the position, unless you have been instructed otherwise. Best wishes.

Then this from Tofu:
    There's nothing quite like the look on a candidate's face when he enters the "holding pen" room where everyone waits to be called for their turn to interview, and realizes that he's the only one not wearing a suit.

Don't be that guy.
    From Wingnut:
    LOL!! I was "that guy"!!

I prepared so hard for my interview that I totally forgot to ask people what to wear. I just assumed slacks and a dress shirt would work. Wearing a suit never even crossed my mind!

Turns out, I was the only one in the waiting room not wearing a suit!! Everyone else was so GQ that I felt like I was sitting in a room full of investment bankers. I could tell everyone was looking at me like there was one less candidate to give them competition.

To make matters worse, my interview was rocky, and one of the captains proceeded to grill me relentlessly, and guffawed at all my responses.
    I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. It was definitely a psychological disadvantage to walk into a room full of slick candidates and then have to walk into the interview with an air of confidence. It was even worse waiting for the results thinking that I blew it by not wearing a coat and tie.

Candidates will tell me that I don't have a suit or the money to by a nice suit for my oral board. My advice. Rent one and look and feel like the professional you want to be.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I hate suits and never owned one until i was told to get one on short notice. I wasnt going to drop a few hundred dollars on a suit I had no idea what to do ... Then walks in my girlfriends brother who manages a bar he had all kinds of expensive suit and always looked nice Top notch... I asked him about his suits and he shocked me when he told me not all of his suits were expensive he said 3 or 4 of his suits came from the thrift store he said you would be amazed what youll find in there. he said he found 2 italian made suits that would retail for over 700 dollars and on half price mondays he got it for 34 dollars if you know what your looking for then gold is out there waiting for the trained eye check out the thrift store if money is tight

Forum Member

captbob is right dont wear brown or baby blue suits i recently went to final processing in chicago and let me tell you this they will tell you if you look rediculous so be safe and stay conservative you dont get any extra points if you wanna dress like a pimp

Permanently Removed

Its been said already- Dress professional, no jeans.

Me- I bought one nice suit, shirt and tie and been able to parley it for multiple interviews, wedding and a couple funeral. (I have since then boughten a very more suits and even more ties)

Chances are this is not going to be his first interview. I would buy a nice suit as an investment and have it for the next interview. The same goes for shoes and ties.

Add- Some advice from the US Presidents on ties- Ties of the US Presidents and what the colors mean.

And NO pins, tie tacks, Smokey the Bear, axes or flags on the suit. I know the Presidents have the flag, but not for a professional interview.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Forum Member

Default Ties

BOU....I had a mickey mouse tie and the board chuckled and said "Nice Tie". I was hired.That was in the "Old Days" of course...not recomended for todays boards.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    BOU....I had a mickey mouse tie and the board chuckled and said "Nice Tie". I was hired.That was in the "Old Days" of course...not recomended for todays boards.

Jay- That was back in the 70s...Come on man! This isnt a Brady Bunch rerun!
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-13-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Forum Member

Avoid red ties. Its a power color and can be taken badly in an interview.

Forum Member

I say he shlould at least wear a pair of khakis and a nice button up dress shirt, but my husband thinks that a nice button up shirt and a nice pair of jeans and cowboy boots is acceptable.

Nan
    I agree with your husband, Nan. I think that a nice pair of cowboy boots (preferably snakeskin. I like rattle snake myself.) with spurs and some wrangler jeans is perfectly acceptable attire to wear to an interview for a wildland firefighter position. Personally, I wouldn't wear a button-down shirt, though. A nice collared shirt with with metal snaps instead of buttons would be more appropriate. To really impress the interviewer, a string tie and a cowboy hat would complete the look. If he doesn't have a big belt buckle to wear, that would be worth the investment. Make sure your stepson knows to take off his hat before he sits down for the interview.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Hi!

Nan
    really now? i dressed better for a toys r us interview.

Forum Member

Listen to Bob and Cal...I give kids a hard time who come in with a suit and tie or some slacks on when they come to meet us for hiring interests, but in the end they are also the ones that get my attention that they want to be proffessional and are willing to work to show that. I'll hire a kid that shows up in a suit before I hire a kid that shows up in jeans and a t-shirt with their best friend with them. It is a job interview no matter which way you put it! Look nice and proffessional.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Default Wow!!

If it didn't just happen last year I would agree with you. I did do it in the 70's but it was done just last year and that's what brought it to mind. It made the candidate stand out from the rest. It brought back memories of when I was on the other side of the table.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information