MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine on our regional. At least I got our water supply grant, though!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my last DJ's also!! Oh well, AFG's been good to us thus far.
    Regional communications.
    Extrication equipment.
    Vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Similar, But Different

we goat a similar DJ to the one earlier posted, with this addition.

Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores hig! her than the
    scores assigned to your department's applica! tion, we do not have enough funding to offer you an
    award at this time. However, your application scored well enough that if we identify any excess
    funding from unused administrative funds or if some of the applicants that have been offered a grant
    decline the offer, we may be able to fund your request. Be advised that if any excess FY 2008 funding
    does become available, it will be late in the Federal fiscal year. For example, last year we did not
    identify excess FY 2007 funding until August 2008. Therefore, we will not be funding additional
    FY 2008 requests until August or September 2009.

What is the chance or past history on these being funded?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my dj for turnout gear, confined space and ice rescue equipment, pagers, and foam items. I was rejected in the cost/benefit part for the lack of sufficiently compelling information, but my application was generally worthy of an award, so thats encouraging anyway but 1 for 2 this year not bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

firechief56 send me an e mail I will share a successful scba narrative. We had scba from the 80's when I applied in 07. ampaul@centurytel.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dshort32 View Post
    we goat a similar DJ to the one earlier posted, with this addition.

Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores hig! her than the
    scores assigned to your department's applica! tion, we do not have enough funding to offer you an
    award at this time. However, your application scored well enough that if we identify any excess
    funding from unused administrative funds or if some of the applicants that have been offered a grant
    decline the offer, we may be able to fund your request. Be advised that if any excess FY 2008 funding
    does become available, it will be late in the Federal fiscal year. For example, last year we did not
    identify excess FY 2007 funding until August 2008. Therefore, we will not be funding additional
    FY 2008 requests until August or September 2009.

What is the chance or past history on these being funded?
    There have been supplemental awards in the past. The chances of recieving an award all depend where you are in the pecking order; near the top a great chance, near the bottom not likely. Unfortunately, the AFG does not tell you this, which places you between a rock and a hard place. Do you let the current grant ride, hoping it will get funded, and develop a new grant for 2009 or tweak the current grant for 2009.

Either case has the possibility of losing out on a grant opportunity. If you are not funded with a supplemental grant, you still need that equipment. If you are awarded and tweaked the original for 2009, you lose a grant opportunity for 2009.

Tough decision to make.

Forum Member

Well I must say that it has been a fun wait!!! And I lie a lot!! Just found our dj for a brush truck. I also knew that it was a long shot. My department is very thankful for the equipment and tanker we have received thus far through this program. Time to start tweaking the narrative and pulling another joker out of the hat!! Weird thing on the email that came to my personal account. It says the email was sent at 11:16pm, but I found it around 10:45. Maybe this is a nightmare and I will wake up soon. Well good luck to the rest of you that received the dreaded dj. Lets hit the paper and be ready to wait it out again in a couple of months!!!

Forum Member

Got the last DJ today. Had got one for a brush truck in thecomputer scored round but had made it this far on a communications application. Not sure about doing it this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NCKSFIRE View Post
    Got the last DJ today. Had got one for a brush truck in thecomputer scored round but had made it this far on a communications application. Not sure about doing it this year.
    Don't let a DJ get you down and put you in a spot to give up. Learn from it, and others on here, and try, try again. I got DJ'ed three times on a pumper project before I got awarded a pumper/tanker in '05. Since I've recieved 4 awards, 2 of which have been trucks, for a total of more than $450K.

Persistence and learning from your mistakes, as well as others' success, are the keys to being successful.

Forum Member

Admpaul, would you be interested in also sending me a copy of a successful SCBA narrative. Or if anyone is interested in sharing a SCBA narrative, that would be greatly appreciated. Two years in a row I have made it this far and came up short. Getting so close but just must be missing something that isn't puting me over the top. My email is OECT15@ptd.net.
    Last edited by DepChief03; 02-16-2009 at 05:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got our DJ for our Brushtruck. It was a long shot. But - 7 for 9 is not bad for this year. Good luck to those still waiting. See everyone in a few months for the 2009 run.

Thread Information