Forum Member

Default DJ's On their way

I knew it was coming...the dreaded DJ hit today. I don't feel bad though....we have been successful in the previous 4. I'm guessing I was real close, but does anyone have a successful narrative for a backup generator they would care to share? Just getting ready for the next grant period.

Thanks
    Joe Fireman

Assistant Chief

The people from FEMA must have read my rant in the other thread about vehicle exhaust and not knowing if I got my grant. Litterally JUST got my DJ for 2008. Oh well... on to 2009.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Forum Member

Just got ours after checking 1199 for the last 6 months, I need to cool off before I say somsthing I shouldn't.....

Forum Member

Damn, 2 minutes ago nothing, now,

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got hit with one of those darn things!

Forum Member

DJ for FV and FO here. So close but so far.

The letter indicated that they could not be more specific about the reasoning behind our score. Is this different than the earlier DJs where I recall hearing of being able to ask for more info from DHS?
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Forum Member

Just got my DJ as well. 3:09 PM EST.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face I hope their over

An EMS agency I helped on PPE still has nothing, I'm hoping for them that all the DJ emails for today have been sent. I will check again later tonight.

Forum Member

Just got my two. one for FO and one for FV.

Bad day to get one on Friday 13th...anyone else think thats ironic?

MembersZone Subscriber

Typically these DJ's are the ones that state a lack of compelling arguments in one or more components. Would usually state which area lacked. I'm assuming you got something different than that.

The computer DJ was the type that you could request additional info.

Forum Member

Full text of my DJ

Dear Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency
    (FEMA), thank you for applying for a grant under the Fiscal Year (FY) 2008 Assistance to Firefighters
    Grant (AFG) Program. As you are aware, the AFG is an extremely competitive program. In FY 2008, the
    Department received over 21,000 applications, requesting over $3.1 billion in Federal funds. This
    extremely high number of applications and finite amount of funding available resulted in many wor! thy
    applicants not being funded. I regret to inform you that we will not able to fund your AFG request
    for the FY 2008 program.

It is not possible for us to provide a detailed account of how each individual application was rated
    in the competitive process. However, we can tell you that a panel of your fire service peers reviewed
    your application. Using the information that you provided throughout your application, the panelists
    assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: 1) clarity of the project description,
    2) demonstration of financial need, 3) demonstration of benefits to be derived from the grant funds
    and 4) affect on daily operations. The peer review panel's scores indicate that your application was
    generally good and above average in all four elements, i.e., there was some information that was
    useful, but not sufficiently compelling to be considered for funding on its written merits. A full!
    description of the application review process is includ! ed in th e Program Guidance.

The work already done to support your FY 2008 AFG application could be a useful resource for any
    future requests for assistance that your department may submit. I encourage you to keep a copy of
    your application for your records. You may be able to use it as a reference for a future grant
    program, or even share it with your community as the basis for and outline of a strategic plan for
    the enhancement of your department. Please check our website often at www.firegrantsupport.com
    for information on the grant program and for future funding opportunities.

Your interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire
    service. The Department of Homeland Security will continue to work closely with fire service
    organizations to support the vital work of our nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry It just showed-up in the last two minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    An EMS agency I helped on PPE still has nothing, I'm hoping for them that all the DJ emails for today have been sent. I will check again later tonight.
    I guess they are still coming, I've checked about every three minutes for the last twenty minutes and now it's there!

Strange, this narrative was almost identical to one I did last year that funded round 2, now it is not a compelling argument in all four area's? It basically told the exact same issue and solution and had much of the exact same verbage?

Forum Member

Angry

Well DJ for us on SCBA replacement and Rit pack well I guess it is time to work on the 2009 and hope for funding in 2009
    Last edited by daniels627; 02-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Forum Member

Go ours just now for extrication tools. Aw well. At least the wait is over.

Forum Member

Question for the guys and gals who have received the dredded DJ's. Had any of you got your 1199a's, the 10 questions and sent this info back to FEMA and then still got the D@*_ DJ. Just wondering...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    I guess they are still coming, I've checked about every three minutes for the last twenty minutes and now it's there!

Strange, this narrative was almost identical to one I did last year that funded round 2, now it is not a compelling argument in all four area's? It basically told the exact same issue and solution and had much of the exact same verbage?
    How about having the exact same thing funded for one department and not the other? At this point they are running out of money. Anything that is DJ now made it past the computer and just did not score well enough with the reviewers to get funded. So that just means a little tweak here and there and it will be good to go for this year. Just remember if you get a DJ now your application did make it to PR. So you did a good job! Just needed to be a little better.

Just goes to prove what Dad said to be true "you cant win them all"

Forum Member

Are all the DJ letters like OsbornFPD's because we got one just like it. I guess the real question is if you got a letter like that is there a need to wait it out or just concentrate on 09?

MembersZone Subscriber

What would you wait out? Its over. Time to go to 2009.

Our letter read just like the one posted, except our vehicle DJ said our existing fleet makeup did not justify a new tanker. (5k air force refueler and a Deuce and half tanker?)

Forum Member

Got DJ for brush truck. Really knew it was a long shot. Have too many trucks on iventory. Worth a try.

Forum Member

Yup just got ours. 2 years in a row making it this far, Just wish we could get over the hump. Sounds bad to say but we had alot more structures and vehicle fires last year so maybe that will put us over the top for '09.

Forum Member

Angry DANG! Just got my dear john

broke my streak of 4 in a row!

Forum Member

Just got ours in the last 10 minutes for fire ops. 8 sets of turnouts with escape harnesses for newer interior personnel, essentials training leading to FF1 testing, and TIC to support operations. Hit the big one with a new engine last year so I am not going to complain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Just arrived well lets get a round to comiserate with, DJ for Regional and for a RIT grant.

Forum Member

Default Dj for foam trailer

just got mine too..........

Forum Member

And ours as well. Second year in a row we were turned down for SCBA. Guess I'll just hope that our 15 year old, non-compliant units make it another year. In our application, I'm not sure what part of old, non-compliant and falling apart, peer review didn't understand. Its going to be a long weekend....

Thread Information