Thread: summer job

Default summer job

I know there have been probably a hundred threads like this but the search isn't workin right on my computer right now so I go ahead and ask anyways. I am currently a college student with FFI certification. Is it at all possible to go out west and fight wild land fires for just 1 summer? If so whats a good way to get started?

Default yeah

I also have the same situation.

i graduated my Firefighter 1 academy
    and got a 67 hour CDF wildland cert and a EMT-B cert

what are our chances of getting hired on a hotshot crew/ engine?

Default Summer job

Go to usajobs to look for the postions. You shoudl also contact the Forest Service offices in the areas you want to work. They are ususally very helpful

best to contact the local forest service office you want to apply to...develop a relationship with an FMA or AFMO

Does anyone know the entry level Fed GS pay grade for a hand-crew?

Default Gs?

does anyone know what GS pay grade entry level wildland firefighters go in as? any bump if your sent out as an EMT?

Forum Member

No bump for EMT or Medic. $24,499 as a GS-03 which is the typical starting place. Plus overtime and hazard pay during the summer. Depending on the summer depends on your ending salary. You can work anywhere from 200 to 1000+ hours of OT. So you can see how it fluctuates. If you want a job you need to have your application in yesterday. Most crews in CA have done hiring or are in the process.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

OP: Probably too late. Fire season technically already started (Climate wise)

MikeTheBlade: Dude, if you have the CAL Fire academy under your belt, you are almost guaranteed an interview everywhere. Did you apply anywhere?

Forum Member

Default Summer job at FD

Dear colleagues,

my name is Jakub Morávek and I am a voluntary fifefighter in the city of Chrudim in the Czech Republic. I study Security and Strategic Studies at Masaryk University in Brno. I would like to spend the summer 2009 in the United States. I am looking for a job for June and August and it has always been my dream to work at a fire department in the U.S.

As regards my prerequisites I have an international driving licence for trucks and trailers including fire engines and engineering licence for handling of fire and civil trucks. A have also a training in breathing apparatus and first aid and certificates in these.

I am aware of the fact that it is difficult for you to put me on the position of a firefighter. So I am prepared to do any kind of work at your fire department (washing hoses, cleaning the station or preparing the equipment and the engines for alert operations).

Please inform me whether you would be able to employ me for a summer job at your department.

With best regards,

Jakub Morávek
    Chrudim, the Czech Republic

Email: coudy150@seznam.cz
    Phone: +420723376827
    Web: http://sdh-chrudim.cz/

Forum Member

www.wildlandfire.com

Leave a post..someone should be able to help.

Jeff
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Thread Information