Thread: Timeline

Forum Member

Default Timeline

I need some help in figuring out a timeline - here is our situation...

My husband is currently an Army firefighter stationed out at Fort Rucker on the Crash rescue medivac team. He has just under two years left in his contract and then we will be leaving Army life.
    Our question is - When should he start applying for jobs?? He really wants to find a position in eaither TN, MI, KY type areas (near our families) but we are pretty open to being able to go anywhere. He has FF 1 and 2, EMT basic and a few other FF courses. We are in the process of having those turned into Civilian certificates now. We want to really plan this out the best we can so that we dont miss out on important testing dates as we have seen some cities only offer them once a year. Any advice you can give would be great!

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    Our question is - When should he start applying for jobs??
    NOW! Some testing takes time from application to badge. Even if he just makes the list can put into a possible hiring down the road. Plus the more test you take the better you get a taking tests. So when the agency you really,really want to get hired on comes up you're ahead of the curve.

Is he an EMT? Possibility to have the military send him to medic school? All good to be able to take more tests. The main thing is to learn how to take a firefighter interview that is like no other.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I absolutely agree with CaptBob. I have been testing for 2 and 1/2 years and taken 10 tests and have not been hired yet and even so the length of the process from the time you take the written test to the time the recruit class starts can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 or 3 years. Also one additional point - if you start taking as many tests as you can now for departments that you'd like to work for you should be in good shape and even if you end up getting a job offer before you finish your 2 years of service some departments may allow you to defer and hold your position until you finish.

Forum Member

I've been pursuing this career for a little over four years now. In April, I'm starting an academy for a department to which I applied in February of 2007. So, two years and two months from application to first day of work. The hiring process for my dept. seems to take a bit longer than average, but still... apply now!

As mentioned, a department (usually larger departments) may let him finish up his military contract. Most people don't get on with the first dept. to which they apply, but military people do have advantages over civilians in landing firefighting jobs.

Forum Member

Wow! Ok, I didnt realize that some Fire departments would be ok with him not being able to start right away. There is a fire department in TN that we are really interested in that is hiring but we didnt figure he should apply.
    He did go to a civi school and he WAS a EMT basic. We just found out today t hat his certs have lapsed and that he will have to take EMT over again. This was not good news! He has his FF certs through the Army and we are working at changing those into credit at a civi college. He has three classes left to take and then he will have his Bach in fire science.

Because he works crash rescue right now (medivac) they are talking about having an instructor come out there and make them all EMTs so that would be a step in the right direction as long as they are credits the outside world will acknowledge. From what we understand it would be an instructor from the community college.

Thanks so much for all the info and the advice! This is a really exciting step!

Kristina

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    Wow! Ok, I didnt realize that some Fire departments would be ok with him not being able to start right away. There is a fire department in TN that we are really interested in that is hiring but we didnt figure he should apply.

Kristina
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from anyone throughout this journey was to "let them disqualify you - don't ever disqualify yourself", so it can never hurt to still apply. As many on this board have said, the process can take months... sometimes years, so it's never too early to throw your name in the hat!

Also, have him make sure that if the military is going to provide EMT that they include National Registry certification. Surprisingly, a lot of states don't recognize military-issued certs (at least they didn't for me and I had to retake EMT, TEMS, etc). If he has his National Registry card, he can most likely apply for in-state EMT licensure no matter where you guys end up (another great reason to get the National Reg cert).

Forum Member

Since he's just going to recert his EMT, look for an accellerated program in your area so he won't miss any upcoming opportunities.

Talked to a candidate that was in the hiring process when they discovered his EMT had expired. Cost him the job.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default good site

also check out ifpra.com. This is a good job posting site!!!

Thread Information