Forum Member

Default So what tools are out there to do this? Charleston

"Firefighters should learn from the Sofa Super Store fire to honor the lives of the Charleston nine, says Gordon Routley, who led the report into the tragedy.

Gordon Routley told a session at Fire-Rescue International on Saturday it is "critically important" that firefighters apply the recommendations his team drew up to their own departments where needed.

"If there's anything we can do to honor these nine firefighters, it's to teach our firefighters and ourselves not to let the same thing happen to us," he said."

I want to take the lessons learned at Charleston Fire and bring them home to my department. We want to apply what has been learned and try to prevent a simular tragedy, does anyone know of any powerpoint presentations that were made from the Phase 2 Routely Report or about charleston in general? Id hate to have to re-invent the wheel, but am willing to do so if one doesn't exist.

I am also looking for downloaded videos of on scene activity, I have several links to John Pundt Video, but lack the computer skills to turn them into a file I can use and store... (this would also be helpful)

I am going to start building this presentation now for Weds drill, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help or leads you can provide,

Joe Schwab
    gunsnhoses1@gmail.com (feel free to e-mail me any program you may have developed)
    Last edited by Stopdropnroll; 02-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Forum Member

Really? Has no one has seen or heard of a powerpoint that shares the lesson learned in Charleston.

Well then... I am now committed to building this program based on Phase 2 and NIOSH reports, I'd be interested if any one has any photos that are not the same one all over Google Images.

When I read the story of Charleston Fire and the 9 men, I was enthrawled in the story. I have read every report cover to cover, listened to the radio tapes, found every article, tried to see what really happened there...

I want to make this presentation real and do these mens lives justice by putting on a good presentation that drives these points home. I want to honor these mens lives by sharing the story... any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Stopdropnroll; 02-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Forum Member

NIOSH really does not apply to the fire floor. If we were able to escape, or be in contact with someone who knew the way out, or that the building was going to collapse, or if we turned our head left or right that it would knock our facepiece off and died would we continue to operate?

It is all smoke and mirrors.

The real lessons from LODD's are the ones that could have been prevented, Charleston did not seem to be. Apparatus accidents, equipment failures, things that can be prevented through design are what should be taught and corrected. Sadly, Brother's are being severely injured and killed from these same things at a rate of 100 a year and we still fail to change our ways.

Stay Safe.

I failed to mention proper manning.
    Last edited by jonnyirons2; 02-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stopdropnroll View Post
    Really? Has no one has seen or heard of a powerpoint that shares the lesson learned in Charleston.

Well then... I am now committed to building this program based on Phase 2 and NIOSH reports, I'd be interested if any one has any photos that are not the same one all over Google Images.

When I read the story of Charleston Fire and the 9 men, I was enthrawled in the story. I have read every report cover to cover, listened to the radio tapes, found every article, tried to see what really happened there...

I want to make this presentation real and do these mens lives justice by putting on a good presentation that drives these points home. I want to honor these mens lives by sharing the story... any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Little grammar problem there.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from Charleston. There were the poor management decision, a chief who lived in the 1940s, the lack of training, the failure to progress wight the rest of the fire service.

Other than the NIOSH report and the reports form CFD I'm pretty much sure there is nothing else. If nothing else, the CFD sofa store incident provided fire departments with excellent backup as to why they need to have stuff and do things. It's good to see someone trying to put the lessons learned to good use such that 9 lives were not lost in vain. Then there are those who rely on tradition.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from Charleston. There were the poor management decision, a chief who lived in the 1940s, the lack of training, the failure to progress wight the rest of the fire service.
    And there is more than a little grammar problem in YOUR post.

Fire departments nede to "have stuff and do things"??

What the hell does that mean?
    Last edited by jakesdad; 02-15-2009 at 10:56 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well................

Joe, I certainly didn't skip over this thread as unimportant or off base. Despite being in a fairly Urban area and being real busy, "Charleston" hasn't had a big impact on how we do business. Not to be snide about it, but we already were way ahead of many places in Safety related matters. Our Tactics are designed around safe entrance and exit procedures, strong Accountability processes, decent Staffing, and more. A lot, actually most, of the Training that we do is provided thru the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute of the University of Maryland. Look them up at www.MFRI.org They have a wealth of information, including "Downloadable Drills". You might get a lot from them, and like all Training in Maryland, it's free.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    And there is more than a little grammar problem in YOUR post.

Fire departments nede to "have stuff and do things"??

What the hell does that mean?
    Simple, what stuff do you need? What things do you need to do?

Need more staffing per rig? How about the move to LDH? Need better and more training? here ya go. Point is, use the tragedy to your advantage. Administrators have all kinds of studies to back them up, do the same thing.

Forum Member

To clarify,

Both reports asked us learn from and teach the lessons learned to our own firehouses, but other than the 200+ page reports, I am seeking any other support materials to do this...

Joe

Forum Member

Take it upon yourself to be the first. Take the specific points that you could easily fix at your own department and present them. Then actualy do something about the problems you pointed out.

Once you have exhuasted all those options, start on the problems that you yourself couldnt fix on your own i.e. admin issues, etc.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Other than the NIOSH report and the reports form CFD I'm pretty much sure there is nothing else. If nothing else, the CFD sofa store incident provided fire departments with excellent backup as to why they need to have stuff and do things. It's good to see someone trying to put the lessons learned to good use such that 9 lives were not lost in vain. Then there are those who rely on tradition.
    I did not know we had to have a degree in English grammar to post on here.

Thread Information