Thread: Stimulus bill

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hopefully since it's a new animal they'll get SAFER out of the way and then open this one. Stacked app periods reduce my sleep count, like right now with FP&S and AFG apps in the pile.

Forum Member

Just came across more info from the IAFF and IAFC in this piece- http://www.firerescue1.com/legislati...-need-to-know/

MembersZone Subscriber

In my opinion, any stimulus grant monies should apply only to those departments which have had to halt construction due to lack of funds. Then the focus should shift to those facilties that currently do not provide a safe working environment such as exhaust removal systems, safe breathing air systems, working plumbing etc..

Too many times grant money goes to who can write the best grant and "pad" what they already have. My community has received four grants in the last three years and they applied to those projects we greatly needed in order to provide basic service. We built a new station and zero grant dollars went toward it's construction. We had to raise taxes in order to build it. Grant money went towards SCBA and staff.

Let's identify the departments that need the basic essentials and get them the money to get the job done. Replacing any facility less than 20 years old right now does not make sense. If adding a facility, it should be justified with response times and staffing.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Basic essentials would be fixing stations already in place, not ones with construction started, depending on why it was started. Construction started and stopped means someone didn't properly plan the finances, whether not enough money in the bank or having the secure loans in place to finish the job. Wasting money by poor planning on the largest single investment a community can make in its fire department doesn't make it a grant priority. There are a ton of folks out there in trailers, stations without walls, 100+ year old plumbing, no HVAC and other issues like you mentioned that are direct health and safety needs.

Certainly if the station was being built to get away from those conditions then that's a viable thing to do but again planning is all part of the game. That IMHO would rank over someone adding a station for response times.

At least they're incorporating it into the AFG system to save some admin bucks and get most of the funds out in awards. Of course that means get the apps prepared now, won't be a surprise to see all categories of construction and cost-estimates, meaning get them all now.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree....except for the fact that there are some departments that did properly plan and still got reared because of budget cuts and stopping construction on a new station does two things for the politicians. First, they redirected the funds elsewhere to make up for shortfalls. Secondly, they "look" responsible in the public eye for stopping construction and "saving" the money.

I'm glad to see that the funding is included in the AFG program. The program along with SAFER have been fairly well managed thus far. Our state has several grant programs that fail or do not accomplish it's intended purpose because they are knee-jerk reaction funds.

Default Community Development Block Grants

Hi All,

If AFG does not control the flow of this money, and if your service area is outside a juisdictional area such as outside a city limit, then you will be subjected to LMI survey of that area and only after you pass 51%+ LMI limits can you qualify under a program called Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program which is under HUD.

As a Certified CDBG writer and administer in the State of Kentucky, I can tell you this money is already available for fire department buildings.

The only way you can apply is having your governmental agency: either city of county, apply for you as an applicant agent if you pass the 51% LMI test. This will tie up their CDBG program until 50% of the funds have been expended. Then the city of county can apply for other block grant funding.

If I can be of assistance, please contact me:
    Kathy Lewis
    Elite Grant Writing and Fundraising Services
    204 Meadowview Road
    Grayson, Kentucky 41143
    kathylewis4@hotmail.com
    606-474-7386 home

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Program priorities

Okay part of this post is to keep the thread fresh, I am trying to get an early start on the station grant process. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the program priorities might be?

I am thinking
    Shovel ready
    favorable cost vs benefit
    job creation (construction workers, designers, electricians, etc...)
    critical infrastructure
    environmental initiatives (ie solar, wind, geothermal etc...)
    code compliance (ie sprinkler systems)
    facilities occupied 24/7

If anyone has any other thoughts lets share!
    Mark

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thinking that it will be not too distant from current AFG related to construction stuff: cost-benefit ties into 24/7 occupation and code compliance. Every project we apply for should be 'shovel ready' anyway, save for their money to make it happen. That's buildings, SCBA, trucks, etc. Ready to go once awarded.

Don't see job creation making the list since cost-benefit goes to those doing labor in house or having labor donated. Especially since every job created costs more money and doesn't get work done on another station somewhere else. Environmental would be a plus in my book, any kind of sustainable energy plan should be included in any new building, grant project or not. One department I talked to the other week said they can do geothermal in the station for $80k (20k sq ft I beleive) and it will save over $20k a year in utility costs for AC and heating. Not too bad for a 4 year ROI.

Forum Member

Any idea if station remodeling or renovations will fit in this program? Could we finally fix the leaky roofs and bay doors that don't open?

Forum Member

Ryan, I can lend you a couple of guys to work on those bay doors that are not working, they just drive through them. Also had them to drive out of the stations with the high side compartment doors open. These leave a nice mark on the truck, and the building.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Ryan, I can lend you a couple of guys to work on those bay doors that are not working, they just drive through them. Also had them to drive out of the stations with the high side compartment doors open. These leave a nice mark on the truck, and the building.
    I know a department close by that drove out with the high side compartment doors up. I know exactly the marks you are talking about. In fact when we were putting together specs for the new truck a few years ago we were pretty convinced we were staying with roll up doors but we talked about cost briefly and I brought up this incident and we ended up staying with roll up doors because of that.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I would imagine that this will be all things construction since the bulk of the country doesn't need new buildings but renovations/expansions to fix issues like plumbing, roofing, etc. Adding sleeping quarters, restroom/shower facilities and the like will probably be in there.

Forum Member

The new mini has rollups, and I don't forsee any changes in the future because of the last incident. I like the new roll ups, they are much better than the old style, and seem to last. Ask me again in ten years.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anymore of this Station Stimulus Money?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Won't be any more on it until AFG is over if not longer. Only hole in app periods is July-October between SAFER and FP&S so odds are that's the time period we're looking at for applications. Obviously the work has to be done well before that, but no word on priorities and other goodies.

Forum Member

Default info from state of wi

I talked to my state grant rep and she said that the program will be administrated simular to AFG in the summer some time. More info to come once they figure out the details.

One this is for sure, your project cannonct have been already started.

Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoserbt View Post
    I talked to my state grant rep and she said that the program will be administrated simular to AFG in the summer some time. More info to come once they figure out the details.

One this is for sure, your project cannonct have been already started.

Good luck
    Define started...can not have broke ground or can not have talked to an architect and have plans done?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Construction contracts signed, bond approved for construction, etc.

If you can afford to do drawings up yourself and not have them as part of the grant costs then that should count for a few points in cost-benefit.

Forum Member

Default started

You cannot have started to dig or construct. I would think that plannning would be ok as long as you don't ask for the funds in your request. Much like you wouldn't ask for reimbursment for PPE you already purchased. Now that is the state of WI talking, might get different info from different states.

Quote Originally Posted by TVFD73 View Post
    From what I have been told so far, the States will each receive a certain portion of Stimulus Billm, with that money having allocations for specific funding areas which include fire stations.

In Ohio, go to the Governors web site and fill our the project summary, as I am told through this site and people connected to it, and other agencies within the State, they will have meetings scheduled to complete the request in full prior to awarding any grant request.

Have been told also that these will be competitive, but with the Stimulus Initiative, they are looking at agencies that are ready to so what is under their request in a short period of time, hence the word Stimulus, (shot in the arm).

I would however contact your local congressional people to inform them that you have applied for this and to seek their support in anyway possible.
    Where on the Ohio Governors website under the stimulus proposal do you apply. I don't see any area that would be fire related unless it's under the energy effeciency portion.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nowhere. AFG is going to run the station grant program.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be sure to check with your governors office. Remember, its not just a fire station - its also the ice skating warming house with a fire station attached. No, wait, its public restrooms for the park, with a fire station attached. Could it be - its a community center with a fire station attached. A maintenance garage for the town, with a fire station attached. I have proposals/ideas going in on various methods to achieve my goals. I mean, you have to have a good parking lot for people to use the walking park, and the extra benefit to the parking lot is my fire station can use it also!

Forum Member

Thinking outside the box, sometimes way outside the box.

Forum Member

just got an email about a webcast titled "Basics of Grants Stimulus" to be broadcast on April 8th at 3pm eastern.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

http://www.grantsoffice.com/ for those interested. Michael Paddock of Grants Office does these, helps to be backed by Cisco for webcasts and whatnot.

I missed the last couple myself, always on a plane or teaching my own classes, but there is good info for anyone that can watch.

Thread Information