Thread: Stimulus bill

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stimulus bill

Ok.... Lets get it started in here...

Any ideas how this is going to transpire? Will it only be construction, or will in include some money for departments to get really minor stuff like RUNNING WATER? SEPTIC SYSTEMS? HEAT?

Surely no departments out there are like that.. Ok, maybe mine, and maybe the department next district to us that has volunteers to keep the wood stove stoked during the winter.....

I am not real sure how we would act with running water....

Forum Member

We have the running water taken care of, if the water that is pouring out of the bottom of our trucks counts. I know one station that still has gravel floors, because they cannot afford the concrete.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is as they have described other projects, you will have to have a shovel ready project that is ready to go. From what it sounds like you would already have to have approved financing as well, such as a tax or bond issue specifically for the project.

What ever it is we will have to act fast, most of the bill that I have read wants the money spent by the end of 2010.

Forum Member

What about the portion of the bill that removes the matching portions for hiring in SAFER

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I am reading, page 111, lines 6 - 12, it is called the firefighters Assistance program, and the money is available for modifications, building, and upgrading state and local fire stations.

250 million for EOC's.

6,000,000 for communications response vehicles.

But heck, there were so many versions, I don't know that this was the final one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12356349/H...onference-Text

MembersZone Subscriber

$210 million will be going to the AFG program for modifying, upgrading, or constructing fire stations. This is down from the original proposed $500 million. No grant can be more than $15 million and 5% can be used for admin expenses.

MembersZone Subscriber

What about the communications response vehicles, and the EOC money? did that make it through?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think we have to wait for the dust to settle and the final version is released. At one point $500 million was earmarked for construction. Then another version had nothing about construction, but the waiver for SAFER was added. Too much politics.

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely, but I would urge anyone that is going to try for any of it to start pricing now - the worse that can happen is this week we find out that something is not funded. Hmm I wonder what it would take to drill a well that could do 300gpm...

Maybe an apron - instead of monthly filling the ruts in the mud.

The mind boggles...

Forum Member

Default stimulus

If one had the engineering design and plans ready, and could secure the construction loan with in a week, would this qualify for stimulus funding?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Absolutely, but I would urge anyone that is going to try for any of it to start pricing now - the worse that can happen is this week we find out that something is not funded. Hmm I wonder what it would take to drill a well that could do 300gpm...

Maybe an apron - instead of monthly filling the ruts in the mud.

The mind boggles...
    I'm curious if they'll go for projects like this, or if the politics will sneak in and they'll build nothing but projects with six zeroes for big departments that'll get the politicians the publicity they want.

We're getting trying to find grant money to buy an existing building for a "new" station and have looked at expanding it (it's nothing but bays and an office, adding living quarters and a training room would be nice) and even building a second station out east. I'd love to be able to lock onto some of this money for either, or both, of those projects.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think "shovel ready" has gotten a bit overkill in this bill. Yes, they want projects that can be implemented quickly, but I think most of those will be the money that is going to the states for them to use, on things like roads, etc. Face it, it takes YEARS to even start to think about laying asphalt on a road project, planning, studies, engineering, right of way acquisition, NEPA studies, etc. They are going to want the big projects to be ready NOW.

The grant programs like we are used to are still going to take time, and I suspect that you will find the fire station grant will be done very much like the present AFG program, with some more issues being required to be dealt with, such as NEPA, local zoning, etc.

Almost ever line item ends up tied to the statement that the director of the agency (such as FEMA) will submit a plan for the expenditure of funds within 45 or 60 days to congress. I wonder how long that will tie things up?

The 6 million for commo vehicles appears to be for FEMA to acquire the vehicles for FEMA to use, not a grant program.

There may be some state funds that will trickle down, I am hoping that some of the state funds here will pay for a statewide radio system.

Catch- Politics sneak in? In such a non-political pork laden bill like this? What are ya thinking? Its sort of scary that whoever actually put that 15 million figure down on paper could even think about spending that much on a fire station.... Maybe 150 fire stations.... or 300 or more in the rural world.

I think this bill is going to take a long time for the dust to settle on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

If they really wanted to stretch the money, they'd get rid of that joke that's called "prevailing wage". Imagine what a guy could do with a couple hundred thousand without having to pay out considerably more than the average person for labor costs.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had totally forgot about that. Better double my pricing.

Forum Member

I wonder if this i going to be funded through AFG or funded through the States. I read that the stimilus director from NH was looking for firehouse projects... but the bill says AFG (not a law yet - President has not signed it). Since AFG is a direct grant program either this is going to be something new with new guidance documents and applications or it will be a new programs to the States with their system of funding. Either way, I guess it should be interesting. Think of the documentation there was for vent systems - and the needs for ADD and Historical Preservation work.

We got a project bid and ready to build in the 2 months (when the snow melts) to start.. but like everything there are cut backs... if we could fully fund the program great! But how? and what types of rules... our project will be done before the guidance document and then part of the goal of this program is to look at trying to spend the money in a timely fashion

... it should be interesting to find out... we shall see...
    ... no slights on AFG and it is great to see some fire money in the package...
    ... but I do not want to be the administrator that has to run a program like this from scratch... in a timely fashion... good luck to that individual.

--------------------------------------
    My guess is that departments that can put together energy saving and technology improvement infrastructure might have a better chance - it becomes a two-fer - an improvement and a cost savings so that money can be redirected to mission directed uses. But that is just a guess. But all the compliance issues should be interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by quaker49 View Post
    I wonder if this i going to be funded through AFG or funded through the States. I read that the stimilus director from NH was looking for firehouse projects... but the bill says AFG (not a law yet - President has not signed it).
    I suspect the answer is yes.

I think many states may make funds available through the state stimulus
    funds, seperate from the FEMA 210 million being discussed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke with a congressional office last week and they advised that Fire House construction funds would be delegated at a state level. As of Friday they did not have any additional information.

MembersZone Subscriber

4.2 billion per state average. Thats a couple of stations in the metro areas.

Not to argue, but that is exactly the opposite of what I was advised early this AM in an email from our grants person at our congress critters office. I don't really think they know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    If they really wanted to stretch the money, they'd get rid of that joke that's called "prevailing wage". Imagine what a guy could do with a couple hundred thousand without having to pay out considerably more than the average person for labor costs.
    Dream on. Waive Davis-Bacon. This bill is vote buyin/union payback bill.

Figure any project is also going to have to be architect designed and stamped by a professional engineer.

No way are you going to be able to get a few $k for materials to put up a station yourself. More likely are a few jumbo metro fire stations to grace the pages for Fire Chief's annual (in around 2012).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    4.2 billion per state average. Thats a couple of stations in the metro areas.
    Its 4.2 Million not billion.

It is not being given out to the states. Its in the bill that these are to be "competitive" grants. So most likely you will see it going into the AFG program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Billion, million, whats the difference among friends. A fat finger mistake.

Thats my understanding, it is going to be part of the AFG program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer

What about the SAFER Waiver? Has anyone heard is that going to apply to only the awarded grants in 2009 and 2010 or to any awards currently in the process of reimbursment?

Forum Member

Not sure what this means, but I went to our state Governor's web site this a.m. and sure enough there is a section there for apply for projects under this bill.

This web site also states that what they are actually doing is looking at what responses they get quickly and what different areas of funding are being requested.

In any event they have an application process to go through and a small 1200 word description area for project.

What does it hurt to go through the process? Any tool is better than none at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

It can't hurt a thing!

Forum Member

I checked PA's site and no info. Is there any truth to this in the Bill that was passed today? Been out of touch. My FBI brother in law was in and all I heard was how the Democrats are ruining the world. He couldn't get back to Langley quick enough!

We have a pole barn built in the 80's that was outdated when it was built. 4 single bays with 90 amp electric and bad HVAC, if you call it that. Looking to add on a bay with a meeting room and community room. We have our training and meetings in the engine bays. ANy ideas on what they are looking for? We have prints but not official ones. We could be ready to submit a request in 3 weeks and break ground withing 90 days. Any help from the gurus would be great.

Thread Information