Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Oklahoma City

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oklahoma City

I know Oklahoma City is doing exams every month right now. I was wondering what people think of the process and who is pursuing a career for OKC fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is an acdemey starting in about 2 weeks some of the guyes i work with at emsa got hired. There will be another I heard in the fall they are trying to to get as many paramedics as possible trying to get all stations ALS. Also one of the majors told me they are going to try and over staff the all the stations. Iam guessing for when they try and bid the ambulance contract again. I know ocfd is mad that emsa is actully making a profit, When they respond to all the calls emsa does. ocfd is actully losing money going on all the EMS calls when you count man power, gas, and wear on the engines. I know we got handed a 50 page book full of ideas that TFD OCFD and EMSA and some of the DOCs and the new medical Dir came up with to make the EMS system more effective. Some of the ideas were Paramedic fly cars, or first responder fly cars Both great ideas. Also one was patient refusal starting in 2010 were going to be able to deny service to anyone we dont think is in need of an ambulance and has a ride to the hospital. Also another one was not having fire respond to BS calls like toe pain, headache, etc. But for that to work the dispatch will have to get better at triageing the paitents. I dont know how many times I resopnded to priorty 1 SOB calls that are BS and prioty 2 calls that turned out to be full arrest. Another thing that hinted to more of a fire takeover is it talked about getting rid of the system status management which does not work in OKC. I know it talked about putting the ambulance in the fire stations. OKC to is trying to put together a new proposal to take over service in the smaller areas like bethany, war accers, and the village which I think needs to be done. If a fire breaks out in any of those areas they have to almost always be mutal aided by ocfd. Another thing you can still get hired if your not a paramedic out of the last academy there where about 8 who didnt even have there basic which I dont understand. I think you should aleast have your basic. Anyways I hope I answered your questions.

Forum Member

Default Needing info on OKC Fire Employment

I applied for the firefighter position back in October 2008, and I was scheduled a test, but I was told by many people that I wouldíve needed my emt or emt basic, so I did not even bother going. When I called them about the test, they said that I could re apply in 2009, so I might do that, but I need to know what I need to do to better my chances at getting on. Anyone have any advice on that. Please let me know.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

OKC are hiring paramedics really hard right now. They hire basics too. I believe this last class hired mostly paramedics and a couple of guys without even a basic. You have a shot, you just got to score really high on your written exam.

I heard just a couple of days ago that OKC was actually on a hiring freeze for a bit. Not sure though. You should ask around.

Forum Member

thanks for the info. i really appreciate it.

Forum Member

Thanks,
    I would just hate to go through the emt basic class and not be able to get a job. i know the physical to get in is crazy, which is why i a working out now. and about the written exa, how can i find info on how to study for it? any info is good, i sure appreciate it. are you a firefighter or a paramedic. i would like to get into paramedic school, but i work during the day.

pfg777

MembersZone Subscriber

I just took the written last monday they said they are having two academys a year with about 10 to 15 each. They also said they call for cpat twice a year in march and september. So if I get a high enough score I should a call in sept to start the process.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, I am in paramedic school. It is very hard. You pretty much can not have a full time job and go to paramedic school. OKC really likes to have paramedics right now. They are trying to fill every station and every shift with medics. It is MUCH harder to get on if you do not have the paramedic beside your name. However there are still people that get on that do not even have a basic but they are few and far between and have a pretty good background of working and good life experiences.

Forum Member

do you know if a bankruptcy would hurt me, for my wife and i had to file at the beginning of this year. my employment history isn't that good either. i am sure it would hurt me, but i am not sure. i am thinking about getting into the fire core academy offered at the oetc vo tech in choctaw, but it doesn't start until jan 2010.

MembersZone Subscriber

what are the steps consisted of in the hiring process? coming from ohio would make it difficult to travel there alot to go through the process...

Forum Member

Process for OKC:

1)Apply for written. Application is kept at least a year. Just call or email the Dept to get info on applying out of state. They can probably fax or mail you an application. http://www.okc.gov/Fire/index.html

2)Written test given first Monday of each each month unless it falls on a Holiday, in which case it would be the second Monday. Written exam score is good for 1 year and can't be retaken within 12 months of your last test, so do well!

3) CPAT given twice a year now for those who score high enough on the written test. They are tenatively scheduled for Sept and Mar, but they are running "behind" this year already and the Sept one is actually in Nov 2009.

4) Oral review board (interview). Standard. Last time I had one there were two separate rooms with three high ranking members of the Dept in each room. You were asked about 7-10 questions per room and had something like 12 minutes to answer the questions and then ask anything you want.

5) Polygraph test.

6) Physicians physical.

7) Job offer.

Good luck! If you can afford a trip to OKC it's worth it to at least take the written and get your name on a list for a possible CPAT in the spring.

Thread Information