Thread: Duty Uniform

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Duty Uniform

I need to purchase some station duty pants that need to be dark blue or some variation of that. I know that Dickies makes a lot of uniform type pants, but their website has about twenty different varieties. I was just wondering what type of pants (model number/name) is most common among firefighters or what is the best/most comfortable. Thanks for your help.

Mack

Forum Member

not dickies, go to Galls uniform center

Forum Member

Ebelco or 5.11 Tactical

Forum Member

Elbeco EMS style here.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Red Kap makes a very durable very fade resistant trouser and it is of natural fiber. i have worn them for a couple years now and they have served me pretty well. The other advantage is that they are pretty available and do not cost a fortune. Additionally they are easy to care for.
    "The one man engine company...tough as hell cause we have to be."

"What we have here is a Charlie Foxtrot of the Mongolian persuasion."

Forum Member

haha I love it how we all give different ideas

Forum Member

I made the mistake of buying some of the dark navy blue dickies off the rack at Wally World (tried em on in the fitting room) Got them home, waited till the day I needed them (a parade) and tore off all the tags. Put em on, went to feed my uniform belt through the belt loops, and .....woops.......belt loops were not wide enough for a typical 1" wide leather uniform belt. Keep that in mind if you buy anything off the rack at a department store.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as they fit and they're not hanging down around your @$$ then I don't think it really matters. I've got a couple of young kids in the dept that we're constantly "reminding" that this is a professional organization and that first impressions are key. As for what I wear, I got a pair of Dickie's from a local uniform supply store and they fit much better than the ones from Wally World. WalMart sells shorts, but I found that the ones they sell are geared more towards the kids that want them to hang down halfway between the knee and foot. Again, found the pair I need at the uniform shop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22 View Post
    I need to purchase some station duty pants that need to be dark blue or some variation of that. I know that Dickies makes a lot of uniform type pants, but their website has about twenty different varieties. I was just wondering what type of pants (model number/name) is most common among firefighters or what is the best/most comfortable. Thanks for your help.

Mack
    I've been wearing the 874 model from Dickies for about 7 years now with no problems. As somebody else mentioned, the belt loops aren't quite big enough if you want to wear a 2" wide belt with them.

Not sure what the Walmart "issue" is about. The one's in my area sell the exact same styles that you can buy at other stores that sell Dickies. However, they didn't sell the darker navy color there, had to go to the Dickies Outlet to get them. Hard to beat 'em at under $20 a pair.

Forum Member

go with what'll match. If everyone is wearing dickies buy that, if everyone has a hard one for those cool "tactial" pants with lots of pockets get that.

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to wear Dickies and went to the NFPA approved 100% cotton. I'm not a big "do it cause NFPA says so" guy but after seeing one of our guys melt a pair of Dickies to his scrotum while welding, I'll opt for the expense of something non-polyester! Flying slag stuck to the pants and melted them in! F that! Maybe the bunkers will provide full protection, but I wouldn't bet my bits and pieces on maybe! Make them buy you something better.

Forum Member

Think of it as a layer of your PPE and keep away from polyester!! I don't care how much protection turn out gear gives if polyester was given to me I'd tell them to kiss my Dickie. Go with 100% cotton or nomex and don't skimp on safety...We wear Lion 100% nomex shirts and pants. Also 100% cotton t-shirts. A summer option is shorts also 100% nomex manufactored by Lion.
    Don't put fashon ahead of safety.
    Last edited by len1582; 02-16-2009 at 07:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    go with what'll match. If everyone is wearing dickies buy that, if everyone has a hard one for those cool "tactial" pants with lots of pockets get that.
    We ran into the matching problem with dickies. The same pants ordered at different times would be a slight shade different. Add in washing them in for a year or so and you could have three people with three slightly different shades of blue pants. Looked odd. We recently went to BDU style pants and we like them. Very comfortable, the pockets are nice. Not to mention they match our shorts in style, they're BDU style shorts.

Edit:

I don't know if you're going to get a "most common" type of answer other than "blue". That's an even more open ended question than "What is the most common hose type, length, nozzle combination for fire department preconnects?"
    Last edited by Fokker416; 02-16-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Aspen Mills make good pants.

Not trying to hijack, but has anyone found out about Flying Cross pants. They have a heavy metal in them that has been possibly linked to sick firemen???

Anyone?

Thread Information