Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Steel Cutting Circular Saw

What are your thoughts on steel cutting circular saw used for vehicle extrication? There was some discussion on the subject a few years back in the forums and everyone that had used one seem to feel that it would be a good addition to there tool kit. Is that still the thought?

The K12 circular saw is a useful tool in vehicle extrication. I personally am not a big fan of them because of the bulkiness and risk of projectiles hitting the patient or crew on the interior of the vehicle. With that aside, it is very efficient at cutting through most aspects of ther vehicle. I personally am a fan of the sawzall for vehicle extrication in combination with hydraulic tools because of the power, cutting force, and relative ease to use.

Forum Member

Used one in a training once, Worked well for the trunk and hood but when it came to the post there was alot of kickback.

Question

One of the guys I work with starting marvelling about a skillsaw with a special blade that apparently just kicked serious ***. It was a sparkless blade of some sort. I saw it on their truck but didn't get a chance to see it in use.

I'm not sure if anyone else has used such a tool? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

You mean like this ....

http://www.res-q-jack.com/Rescue-Saw/

Forum Member

We have the Evolution saw, does a great job on long straight cuts (like opening the side of a panel van) and, believe it or not, guardrails. There are little or no sparks with most of the metal shavings being caught in the saw itself.
    Disadvantages we found, 1. cannot easily or safely do a plunge cut because the handle on the blade guard is very small, and 2. the electric motor takes alot of juice to get going, definitely need a good sized generator and cord to run it. You also have to treat it like a saw cutting through wood and match the blade depth with the material or it will bind up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default metal devil

we use this saw, works real well, looks similar to the res-q-jack

MK Morse Metal Devil

http://www.metaldevil.com/index.html

Forum Member

We use a Milwaukee corded metal cutting saw. It catches most of the spark and metal material. Our limited budget puchased this about $350, if I remember correctly, blades are about $50. We haven't had to cut posts with it yet, but it cut hoods and trucks like butter. another tool for the arsonel.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192208_192137

Several unique considerations have to enter into the discussion anytime we're talking about these new smaller circular saws and doing vehicle rescue work.

1) Spark production and Spark protection. make sure you are OK with any sparks that are produced. i can guarantee you that with the new Advanced Steels that are much harder than the mile stuff we're used to, circular saws do Spark!

2) They do not do good cutting in a curve. Plan your cuts and go in a straight line. It's not you, it's the prinicple of the saw. They essentially go in a straight line.

3) Noise; Plan on it, Prepare for it, and Protect from it. It might be at an entrapment with a conscious patient that you can't use your new circular saw to cut that B-pillar at the roofline becasue the noise levels within the vehicle area where the Medic and driver patient are is so intense that the operation canont proceed. There isn't any way to really put a silencer on these saws. If noise might be a concern for a specific rescue you are doing, then have a Plan B ready just in case.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

we are going to try out this Dual Saw and see if it holds up like they say it does

Forum Member

Spark + Fuel = BOOM!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had the opportunity to play with Milwaukee's version and it's worked great cutting panels. You can get through a post, but it takes some work and know-how.

I'm working on getting one for my vollie department with our tight budget and even tighter board. I'm also using the reasoning that they work great when trying to remove metal panels on a metal building/roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department just bought one and it works great. Works on the hood, windshield, roof, and trunk. Works great when doing a roof flap. Not so good on post, has lots of kick back. Very few sparks. You need to be aware of not cutting to deep on the hood.

MembersZone Subscriber

just got the opportunity to use one during a vehicle rescue tech class and it was a nice tool. On the bus evolution we used it on the sides, top, and even seat posts, with very few sparks. I considered the noise equal to the sawzall. I would purchase one to be another tool in the tool box

Thread Information