Forum Member

Default Cairns Pioneer SCBA

There may be conversation in the forums somewhere regarding this however, I could not find any. So I thought I would put this out there.

Is everyone aware of NIOSH pulling their certs on the Cairns Pioneer SCBA's? After Dec 31, 2009 these scba's will no longer be legal to use. Below is a paste of the letter. If you would like a copy of the letter, email me and I'll send it to you. Email is corylock@hotmail.com

Are there depts out there that have these packs? There are 4 depts in my county alone that have them.

Subject: NIOSH Respirator Approvals To Be Revoked
    NIOSH RESPIRATOR USER NOTICE
    Subject: Global Secure Safety Products, Inc. (formerly CairnsAir Inc.) Respirators will be
    listed on CEL as Obsolete and Certificates of Approval will be Revoked
    The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is issuing this notice to inform respirator users that Global Secure Safety Products., Inc. is no longer producing NIOSH- approved respirators or replacement parts and is not planning to resume production in the future. Global Secure Safety Products, Inc, stopped production of respirators in April 2008 and has ceased doing business.
    NIOSH intends to revoke Global Secure Safety Products., Inc. certificates of approvals on December 3 1,2009. These approvals are as follows:
    APPROVAL # RESPIRATOR
    TC-13F-0262 '3 100001-*, 3 100003-*
    TC- 13F-0263 3 100002-*, 3 100004-*
    TC- 13F-0264 3 100002-*, 3 100004-*
    TC- 13F-0265 3 100002-*, 3 100004-*
    TC-13F-03 18
    TC-13F-035 1 Sentry
    TC- 13F-03 57 Courier ESCBAISAR
    TC- 19C-03 12 Scout Supplied-Air Respirator
    Until December 3 1,2009, these respirators will be listed on the NIOSH Certified Equipment List (CEL) as being obsolete, meaning that the Global Secure Safety Products., Inc. is not presently producing these respirators and there are no plans for production to resume. Respirators listed as obsolete on the CEL can be used by the consumer where approved respirators are required as long as they can be maintained in original condition. Maintaining the respirator in original condition requires the use of original replacement parts and factory service as specified by the approval holder. Respirators which cannot be properly sewiced or maintained are no longer in an approved configuration and cease to be approved. As a result of the dissolution of Global Secure Safety Products, Inc. there are no authorized service facilities or sources of new parts for these respirators.
    Page 2 -Subject: Global Secure Safety Products, Inc. (formerly CairnsAir Inc.), Certificates of Approval to be Revoked
    NIOSH will revoke the approvals of these respirators on December 31,2009. Revoked status means that the respirators in question will no longer be listed as NIOSH-approved respirators. Once revoked, respirators bearing these approval numbers may no longer be manufactured, assembled, sold, or distributed as NIOSH-approved respirators. Furthermore, they may not be used where NIOSH-approved respirators are required regardless of the current state of maintenance.
    For more information, please call the Technology Evaluation Branch at 412-386-4000.
    Last edited by corylock; 02-16-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Member

They are OBSOLETED 12/31/09. They can be USED as long as they can be kept in ORIGINAL operating condition,the way I read the standard. As of the time they need parts or bench service is NOT available,then they must be retired.As it appears that Global is NOT going to support the product then yes,they are OOS as of 12/31/09 T.C.

Forum Member

Is anybody aware of available service for the pioneer pro SCBA? We recently bought some, summer of 2007, and my dealer is struggling to provide service. Are we hung with these packs?

Forum Member

See my post above.As I understand it they are being obsoleted with NO support as of the date above.Sorry,T.C.

Thread Information