Thread: 2009 Fema

Forum Member

Default 2009 Fema

Has anyone ever got a Smart Board with a projector for training from FEMA ?

Forum Member

I think Crowley(?) fire department in Atlanta, Ks just recieved an official award in January. I may have the names crooked.

Forum Member

Default Local elec co-op foundation

We applied through our electric companys charitable foundation and were awarded. It was a much simpler process for the relatively minor award amount and there were no matching funds.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it was tied into the right project and justified, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't award such a project.

On a side note, have you looked at other options, other than the Smart Board? If you're the type of instructor that is up and is near the screen your projecting on, the Smart Board is a helluva set-up. If you do more stationary, out of the way type instructing, you might look at the Sympodium.

I've had the opportunity to use both and I tend to favor the Sympodium system, myself. You can do everything that you can with the Smart Board, but it's more of a monitor/tablet that you put in a podium, desk, or something similar that keeps you out of the way of the screen. A lot of it just depends on your instructing style.

Forum Member

Default 2009 AFG Idea

Hey Guys,

The chief of my department is pondering the idea of trying to get a tanker on the 2009 AFG. It would be replacing a 1980 Chevy Tanker, but with three other trucks in our fleet ranging in years from 2000 to 2008 I have advised him that idea would be a waste of a grant writers fee. Am I correct ? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bennett1181 View Post
    Hey Guys,

The chief of my department is pondering the idea of trying to get a tanker on the 2009 AFG. It would be replacing a 1980 Chevy Tanker, but with three other trucks in our fleet ranging in years from 2000 to 2008 I have advised him that idea would be a waste of a grant writers fee. Am I correct ? Thanks
    As a comparison, I got kicked out by the computer with trucks from '89, '90, '05, and '08 last year. The way I look at it is if you have the need, why not try? I'll be trying again this year since we've added a beater brush truck to the fleet ('85) and we're adding a second station. The brush truck drops our fleet age, but we still have the need for another engine for the new station, nonetheless.

I just now realized you said something about a grant writer's fee. Why aren't you guys writing your own, out of curiosity? Once you learn the tricks, the program's not that difficult. Then you're only out the time and effort.

Forum Member

Default Training Grant

I applied for training material that included a laptop computer and projector for our department in the AFG 2008, and was awarded. It is possible.

Thread Information