1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    14

    Default Psych test prep: Does it pay off??

    Hey guys. I about to take the psych test with Seattle FD and I curious about the prep books that they sell on the internet.

    Do they really work or just a waste of money?

    I want to be prepared for every aspect of the testing vase but I'm really nervous about this.

    I hear that 1 of every 2 firefighters fail this test because they were "too" honest.

    Any insight or helpfull suggustions would be much appreciated...

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default psych test

    I just got hired and recently took a 4 hour long psych test. I wasn't sure if I would need a psych test prep book either, after reading that 40% of firefighters fail their psych test on a certain website. However I decided against it, and passed. You might as well answer the questions honestly, just be aware that they are very repetetive and are checking consistency within your answers. Don't psych yourself out!

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    It depends on how crazy you really are. If it is a matter of telling the voices in your head to be quiet, your probably okay. If your regularly conversing with them, the book probably won't help.

    The fire service, making people crazy since 1859.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    115

    Default

    hard to say, i've taken two now for my current and former department and they very vastly different.

    If possible, your best bet may be to stop by a station and talk to someone that works for the department and has gone through the testing process, preferably a relatively new employee that has recently had the test so that they could give you the most accurate description. most people will tell you to just be honest, but that isn't neccesarily the issue with the psych, especially if you already passed the background.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I took it in December of 2008. I was a very lengthy test (about 2-3hrs). The questions are common sense question so there is really nothing to be worried about. Being honest is the right thing do to because if you're crazy then let them know because you'll be helping out people in dier situations and you can't a crazy person doing that. On the flip side, if you are a normal person and your honest...then it'll show.
    Just be prepared to see lots of reworded questions. Go with the flow and don't try to read into the question deeper than what it is. You shouldn't be on one particular question more than a few seconds. If so, then you're probably reading too deep into it.
    I wish you well!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    The number that 40% of candidates fail the psych is a complete crock. I challenge Captain Bob to provide documentation to prove this. I guarantee this is absolutely false. It's a scare tactic to sell more products. (it got you thinking)

    I guarantee he will not be able to produce any legitimate documentation to substantiate his point.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    It depends on how crazy you really are. If it is a matter of telling the voices in your head to be quiet, your probably okay. If your regularly conversing with them, the book probably won't help.

    The fire service, making people crazy since 1859.

    It's perfectly all right to talk to yourself... it's when you start asking questions, then answering in a different voice that raises red flags.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Thanks guys. I appreciate your advise.

    I'll reply again after this weekend and let you know how it turned out.




    Also, for jeremie. When you took the test, was it the background packet, employment interview, and psych test all the same day??

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    sweetpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I just recently took a psych test for the department I got hired at and it took about 2 hours.

    I think the best course of action is to just answer honestly. I figured, if there was something wrong with my "psyche", then I don't belong in this line of work.

    The people who review the psych profile after you test are trained pros who will know if you're lying or not.

    So, if you just answer truthfully, I don't think you'll have any problems. The problems start when guys want the job so bad, they're willing to lie or do whatever they can to get the job.

    I personally took a very laid back approach and got hired almost immediately. Go figure.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcguffee View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your advise.

    I'll reply again after this weekend and let you know how it turned out.




    Also, for jeremie. When you took the test, was it the background packet, employment interview, and psych test all the same day??
    Man, I'm sorry I didn't get back with you but my psch testing was not done on the same day as the interview; however, my very thorough medical evaluation was done on the same day. Altogether it took about 4-5 hours. But it was all well worth it! Plus, I had been so sick a couple days before that so I was really nervous. But all went well.

    How did it go with you?????

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremieisaiah View Post
    Man, I'm sorry I didn't get back with you but my psch testing was not done on the same day as the interview; however, my very thorough medical evaluation was done on the same day. Altogether it took about 4-5 hours. But it was all well worth it! Plus, I had been so sick a couple days before that so I was really nervous. But all went well.

    How did it go with you?????


    Good! I actually enjoyed it a little bit... Some of those questions are funnier then hell! "Do you like pink slippers?" "Do you like sucking on lolli pops?" lol

    Thank you all for the advice. It def helped. I was alot less nervous than I thought I was gonna be. I went in there just being me and felt I did good.

    Some questions had my head thinking but then I remembered that if your taking more than a few seconds on a question than your probably thinking too much...

    Thanks again guys!

    Bring it! (the interview that is) lol

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcguffee View Post
    Good! I actually enjoyed it a little bit... Some of those questions are funnier then hell! "Do you like pink slippers?" "Do you like sucking on lolli pops?" lol

    Thank you all for the advice. It def helped. I was alot less nervous than I thought I was gonna be. I went in there just being me and felt I did good.

    Some questions had my head thinking but then I remembered that if your taking more than a few seconds on a question than your probably thinking too much...

    Thanks again guys!

    Bring it! (the interview that is) lol
    Congrats man! Sounds like you're just one step closer to that badge. I'm less than 1 week away from my first day of orientation. I actually can't believe it's really happening. I'm about to be a firefighter! That's coo. It only took about 1 month for them to send back my psych/medical eval.
    You'll have to keep me updated on how you do. Let me know if you need any interview tips.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Congrates to you man! You have to let me know how the recruit class goes. I'll def keep you informed on my progess. Hopefully I'll be in your shoes one of theses day!

    If I have any more questions, Ill let you know. Thanks.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    I recently took a psych test with a large city department on the East Coast.(you might know which one if you read the hiring forum) I'm not positive that any preparation would have helped much. I had nothing to hide. I will know the results in a week or so, but the same day they had me sit down with the psychologist since I was from out of town. She told me that after looking at all of the results, only one red flag came up. The question stated. "I do not get angry easily." I put false. I actually just ended up either reading the question wrong or filling in the wrong circle. Since that was the only instance, she already assumed that it was most likely a mistake and said that it was no problem at all. So I'm feeling pretty good.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I actually have my degrees in clinical psyc, and my advice to you would be to just be yourself, and don't stress. They are right, that 40% figure is a bunch of ****.

    Basically, that test is just to weed out those that are significantly mentally ill or sociopathic I'm sure. If you are a relatively normal person (whatever normal is), you'll be fine.

    Besides, you can't really "study" for a psych test, or not be you and somehow fake the test. It is simply not possible to fool a trained examiner about who you really are because everything you do/think comes from guess who... you. =)

    So, if you aren't a pyro, psychopath, schizo, etc., or have some significant personality disorder, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you get rejected due to a psych test, they are probably doing you a favor and keeping you out of trouble. So, either way it's a win-win.

    patrick

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwaugh View Post
    I actually have my degrees in clinical psyc, and my advice to you would be to just be yourself, and don't stress. They are right, that 40% figure is a bunch of ****.

    Basically, that test is just to weed out those that are significantly mentally ill or sociopathic I'm sure. If you are a relatively normal person (whatever normal is), you'll be fine.

    Besides, you can't really "study" for a psych test, or not be you and somehow fake the test. It is simply not possible to fool a trained examiner about who you really are because everything you do/think comes from guess who... you. =)

    So, if you aren't a pyro, psychopath, schizo, etc., or have some significant personality disorder, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you get rejected due to a psych test, they are probably doing you a favor and keeping you out of trouble. So, either way it's a win-win.

    patrick
    So, Patrick, you've taken and passed a fire agency psych evaluation test with an interview with the psych doc?

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcguffee View Post
    Good! I actually enjoyed it a little bit... Some of those questions are funnier then hell! "Do you like pink slippers?" "Do you like sucking on lolli pops?" lol

    Thank you all for the advice. It def helped. I was alot less nervous than I thought I was gonna be. I went in there just being me and felt I did good.

    Some questions had my head thinking but then I remembered that if your taking more than a few seconds on a question than your probably thinking too much...

    Thanks again guys!

    Bring it! (the interview that is) lol
    jmcguffee have you got back your results on your psych evaluation yet?

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    If they said that 40% failed because they lied or gave inconstant answers then it would be more believable.

    I've taken some pretty wild ones in the Army and some of the questions are just ridiculous.

    For the record, I passed it and I'm a loon. Not exactly certifiable but almost

    Be safe and bast of luck!!!

    R2

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    what are some typicle questions they ask?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    So what's up man? Have you gotten on a dept?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upcoming psych test
    By Stretch60 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
  2. Psych Test
    By jbsmart54 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
  3. Here are some pointers from my Psych Test
    By Scot45 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 09:49 AM
  4. Psych Test
    By hickman1698 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 02:41 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register