Forum Member

Default Close call during training

Had a close call during live fire training this weekend. During the third evolution the bale on the nozzle wouldn't open. The nozzle had opened just fine during the previous evolutions but during this one it felt tight. The team made entry located the seat of the fire opened the bale and then nothing. The instructor then passes his hand in front on the nozzle, notices this and has the team retreat to the previous room where the conditions allow him to check the nozzle. The nozzle operates for him and they try to make entry again. Once again the nozzle fails and they exit the building. By this time the fire has a good hold on two rooms and is encroaching into the attic. The backup team makes entry, finds the seat of the fire and makes a good knockdown rather quickly.

Lesson learned. Check and double check your equipment and always if you are on the back up line be ready because you may be used.

Notes on the picture. The firefighters on the roof are igniters and instructors. They had an additional line on the roof if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TheRook; 02-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Forum Member

figure out what the problem was?

Forum Member

just follow 1403 and it shouldnt have been close at all.

Forum Member

This doesn't make much sense. What make and model is the nozzle?

Forum Member

i agree the back up line did what it was supposed to, doesn't sound like a close call, sounds like things not going exactly as planned.

Forum Member

Check before entry? T.C.

Forum Member

now you see the purpose of that team standing outside the door doing nothing
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

The team made entry located the seat of the fire opened the bale and then nothing. The instructor then passes his hand in front on the nozzle, notices this and has the team retreat to the previous room where the conditions allow him to check the nozzle. The nozzle operates for him and they try to make entry again. Once again the nozzle fails and they exit the building.
    Door not chocked, line under door, clamped the line and therefore no water. That's my bet.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The nozzle was a TFT fog nozzle. It had been checked prior to entry, doors were removed so there wasn't any pinching off of the hoseline. I agree with nameless that it was more of a situation of things didn't go as planned versus a close call. Everyone went home safe and the backup team performed as warranted.
    Last edited by TheRook; 02-17-2009 at 10:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for posting Rook.

Sounds like the backup line in place did it's job. Question, did you replace the nozzle for the following evolutions, or fix it on site? One other possiblity was that the line was coiled somewhere and when the team moved forward, it kinked, and then unkinked as they backed out. Just guessing since I wasn't there. I'm curious if the nozzle was inspected/cleaned after this incident and what was found.

Forum Member

Yes, we replaced the nozzle with another TFT nozzle off the engine and it performed without incident. We took the nozzle back to the station after the burn was over and we noticed that the valve wasn't opening all the way when the bale was opened. We think that when under pressure the valve wouldn't open at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    just follow 1403 and it shouldnt have been close at all.
    Agreed. Just from the picture it looks as if this department needs to recheck thier process for live fire training.

That being said, glad everyone got out ok. There should never be a "close call" in training.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information