Forum Member

Post Vehicle cost limits

Does anyone have ideas of the cost limits for different vehicles. I am primarily looking at a Wildland Interface Pumper. So far only 1 of 4 regional vehicle reps have responded to my requests for info & rough costs. If I at least new where the cap was then I could at least have some place to start and compare to.

Feel free to add any other vehicle costs limits as well, hopefully this will help more than just me.

Thanks to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would take an educated guess and say that there has not been a concrete limit set on interface pumpers. That being said, shopping around is the right thing to do because obviously the least expensive options will create the best cost/benefit. Factor in your call volume as well, if you are running 5 brush fires a year you will be less competitive for a large vehicle award than if you run 50.

Forum Member

brush trucks have been awarded at 125k, mini pumpers in the 145k range ,tankers seem to be at 190k, Class A pumpers from 250- 350 k. Each department has different needs and your pricing will differ from the next. Don't ask for a gold plated parade truck if a good quality truck will serve your purposes. The lower cost /benefit ratio you come up with the more favorable your scoring will be. Target $$$ is around $1.00 over the life of the vehicle according to the gurus at the seminar.

Forum Member

The primary use in my eyes would be as a pumper and doubling as a brush truck. We currently do not have a pumper and use a tanker to manage structure fires until mutual aid arrives. This is an issue for us as we currently do not have the water capacity and need our tanker to shuttle. A current rough number I got from a vendor was around 200k (little on the high side I think he said) give or take a little. Nothing fancy with the exception of foam, front monitor for wildland, 4 door, & 4X4. Anything else I can think of is required by NFPA. Is this number in the ballpark while I wait for the rest of the vendors to contact me?

Our C/B is higher than $1/person but we have only 300 residents in a 64sq mile district.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Bingo. Pumper is what you want to apply for. For vehicles, highest priority will be given to departments who currently have none, ranking above those looking to replace. And...pumper is Priority 1. And, a pumper is one of the most fundamental apparatus a department could request. The ability to use it on interface, MVA's, public service, etc--it becomes the "first out the door" basic piece of equipment.

Can you really justify sending an entry team into a fire with a 500 gpm pump on your only source of shuttling water? Pumper provides that, so the tanker/tender can drop a port-a-tank and roll, exactly like it's supposed to.

If you can score enough on the computer, you'd have my attention in Peer.

earl (my opinion only, your mileage may vary.)

Forum Member

Greenacres
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. This is how I want to propose it and hopefully it makes it through.

Thanks
    Mike MIDWESTCHIEF

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MIDWESTCHIEF View Post
    Greenacres
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. This is how I want to propose it and hopefully it makes it through.

Thanks
    Mike MIDWESTCHIEF
    Definitely go for the engine /pumper as you don't currently have one. Highest priority in the scoring matrix. Just make sure you can paint the whole picture for the reviewers in your narrative. The more functions listed for amulti purpose apparatus the better the scoring
    What are your call volumes for structure fire & rangeland fires? How often do you have to call in mutual aid?

Forum Member

MIDWESTCHIEF: 2007 award for a 2008 Wildland Urban Interface Pumper 4x4 4 door, 750 gal tank, remote wildland monitor, hrdra gen generator, 1000gpm Rosenbauer pump with fixmix foam injection, rear pump panel, 4 in seat SCBA mounts, IHC 530 engine, ladders, pike poles, axes, bars, spanners etc. Not everthing listed but you get the picture, Application was for $305,000 got reduced to $275,000 , final cost was Apparatus body $167,825 with a discount of $5,327 for payment of chassis when it arrived at the dealer lot, chassis cost $111,067. Total $278,892 the extra came out of our pocket.
    Heiman Fire equipment and Central States was the dealer we ended up with, no one else could meet the specs we wanted or they would not comply with the grant requirements which eleminated them from the process.

Forum Member

Currently we average 3-5 structure and 8-12 wildland over the last 3 yrs. We are currently set to have automatic mutual aid as we are lacking on reliable and sufficient equipment currently. We do get called for mutual aid but mostly for wildland. I would assume and talking with the neighboring depts, our mutual aid call volume will go up if we had an apparatus of this nature. The last couple years we have had the opportunity to work wildland fires which the state took control of, but have not been able to due to not having an dual purpose apparatus such as this. I know our call volume is low, population is low, and funds are even lower; but as we all know ff safety and saving as much personal property as possible is priceless. The vendor I got the 200 number from must be missing something in his rough numbers. This 275 which rescue54 got could be a huge hinderance on the computer part of the application.

Forum Member

rescue54: Could you email me your specs for this pumper, it's something to go off of if we would accidently get a grant. dantefiredept@hotmail.com
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Midwestchief-- What kind of terrain do you deal with? Do you have firm ground, or relatively soft, where you'll need 4x4? Are most of your grass/brush fires fairly accessible to a standard pumper?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if you need a true "Interface Pumper" like these.

If you have pretty firm ground and don't necessarily need the specialized features of an interface pumper, you might be able to get by with a standard pumper. To get a small front bumper turret with the ability to pump and roll, all you'd need is an auxiliary pump to run it.

Just a thought that might keep your costs down, and the cost-benefit where you need it to be awarded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Midwestchief-- What kind of terrain do you deal with? Do you have firm ground, or relatively soft, where you'll need 4x4? Are most of your grass/brush fires fairly accessible to a standard pumper?
    The terrain is firm in most areas but rough & hilly in a good portion of our response area. We would probably be ok with a standard pumper because we currently get by, but 4X4 would definately impact our ability to contain and control fires to smaller areas.

Thread Information