Default Reasons why I think I won't get hired...

First, I want to say that this is an awesome website! I'm glad I found it while trying to find answers to some issues I think will prevent me from getting hired with a FD.

I'm 34 years old, been married for 9 years, and have two beautiful little kids. I am an EMT-B (since July 2008) and currently in Paramedic school (will finish July 2009).

I earned myself a DWI for being an idiot 10 years ago while hanging out with friends at a club and then driving home. I won't lie, that was not the first time I had driven home from a club after drinking, but after going through the DWI process (i.e. money, probation, community service, etc), it was definitely a wake up call. Trust me, its the most humiliating experience I have ever had. I figure I could have saved about $9,950 if I had just decided to let a taxi drive me home that night.

In 2003, I made a huge mistake trying to help my mom and x-step dad start up a transportation business. It unfortunately led to me having to file chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2006 due to me using my credit to finance equipment and other start up costs. Without too much detail, the business was going to pay me back plus interest and did great the first 2 years. My x-step dad decided drugs were a better choice than running the business effectively. It was all in the toilet from there.

The last dilema I have is I was recently fired from my bank job (October 2008). The reason on paper was "insubordination" for having a disagreement with a teller supervisor. The real reason I was fired was my manager and assistant manager were not "comfortable" with me leaving at 5pm so I could make it to class on time. They first said it would be ok, then decided it was not ok after school started. They said the only way I was able to leave by 5pm was to take a demotion to part-time and become a teller instead of a personal banker. It was a touch decision for me, but paramedic school was top priority, so I discussed it with my wife and we made the financial decision for me to take the part time position.

Still, when I apply for FD's and they ask, I have to tell them I was fired for insubordination which looks really bad. That just is not the type of person I am though, so I'm not sure how to effectively explain to them that I can take orders from my chief, lieutenant, or captain without any problems.

Thank you for your time reading this. Any comments, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

The truth is you probably won't be able to. If you can't follow the simplicity of a bank job without being fired for insubordination you would not last a minute in a firehouse where I work. You will never be able to verbally persuade a panel to give you a chance in their department in their firehouse when you couldn't make it as a personal banker. The only chance you have is to prove them wrong. The way to do that is to work a job for several years without any issues. Actions speak louder than words.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would try and get on a combination dept where they have volunteer and paid and work side by side with them so you can prove yourself and let them see that you are not a problem employee and maybe they will take a chance and hire you. Good luck with everything.

Forum Member

those are all reasons why its possible you wont get hired, but I think most of all is because you believe you cant.

Forum Member

The last dilema I have is I was recently fired from my bank job (October 2008). The reason on paper was "insubordination" for having a disagreement with a teller supervisor. The real reason I was fired was my manager and assistant manager were not "comfortable" with me leaving at 5pm so I could make it to class on time. They first said it would be ok, then decided it was not ok after school started. They said the only way I was able to leave by 5pm was to take a demotion to part-time and become a teller instead of a personal banker. It was a touch decision for me, but paramedic school was top priority, so I discussed it with my wife and we made the financial decision for me to take the part time position.
    So, you followed their wishes and took the part-time position....and then were fired for insubordination?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Permanently Removed

firerecruit2009- You’re in Medic school right now. So, you must pass Paramedic to get anywhere now. AMR in Las Vegas runs a lot of fire calls, needs Medics and a good place to start. Housing is a good buy right now as well.

Next, I would NOT get picky when it comes to a job, any job. You are not in the position to be. Get on as a private medic that runs with a muni fire dept. And do this for at least two years, get established and stable.

Next- Fix your credit if needed. I always tell people of the easy way to do this- Take $500 dollars and get a secured Visa card from Wells Fargo. You can easily establish and repair your credit and will have some money in an interest earning CD at WF. Here is the link.

PASS PARAMEDIC! Time is on your side. Fix, repair, get stable and hopefully the Medic card will take you some where.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Fire Chaplain

Or you could just buy Captain Bob's Miracle Elixer, and then you will get hired anywhere.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct. Your actions will most likely result in a background disqualification. Truthfully, any of the three mentioned would be cause for elimination.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

They dont have to hire you because of bankruptcy? How can bankruptcy have a negative effect in the way they you display or preform on the job. The only way i can see it hurting is if you are in some sort of upper management job where handling finances would come into play.

Forum Member

Your also a little old.
    FF/Paramedic

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by IACOJRev View Post
    Or you could just buy Captain Bob's Miracle Elixer, and then you will get hired anywhere.
    I did and it helped me dramatically in the promotional process. A high score says it all. Nothing wrong with getting help to better yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, a bankruptcy WILL ABSOLUTELY DISQUALIFY YOU!

You borrowed money and promised to pay it back. You did not. Somebody is still out the money that you borrowed. It may be a credit card company, a car dealer, or a mortgage company. A bankruptcy does not give you a free pass. You failed to live up to your commitment. It also shows that you are unable to live within your means.

There may be some allowances for a medical issue, or some other catastrophe.......
    Last edited by BCLepore; 02-23-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Your also a little old.
    woah! definetely not. age= life experiences, life experiences= what thier looking for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    woah! definetely not. age= life experiences, life experiences= what thier looking for.
    MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Memphis Firefighter/Paramedic

1. Must be a citizen of the United States.

2. High school graduate or equivalent required.

3. Candidate’s age must be at least twenty-one (21) years by the starting date of the Firefighter/Paramedic Class for which he/she is considered; and candidate’s age can not exceed thirty-five (35) years by the date of employment in this position.

Woah! He better get hired fast. Age is a factor down here.

They're is the contraction you were looking for.
    Last edited by TNFF319; 02-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Memphis Firefighter/Paramedic

1. Must be a citizen of the United States.

2. High school graduate or equivalent required.

3. Candidate’s age must be at least twenty-one (21) years by the starting date of the Firefighter/Paramedic Class for which he/she is considered; and candidate’s age can not exceed thirty-five (35) years by the date of employment in this position.

Woah! He better get hired fast. Age is a factor down here.

They're is the contraction you were looking for.
    thats just one department..I thought you were generalizing for everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is one thing that came up on the way to my academy the other day. Credit history, I dont know one person who hasnt been affected by the ecomomy in the last year. My business lost about 3/4 of its profits from the recession, my business card was canceled, went to collections. Car got repoed and I took all the money out of my IRA to pay my taxes and rent. Although Im not going to declare bankruptcy, and I will pay off my debit. My credit report is going to suck. I feel that these points shouldnt be an automatic disqualification. One thing that I like about the Feds is that you have to prove yourself as a reliable, honest ,hard working person. Theres no test to get in, no credit report, just determination. I guess Im just a fan of good ole work ethic

Thread Information