Forum Member

Default Heavy Duty carry strap..

Any suggestions for a very heavy duty carry strap for a large equipment case?

I have a Pelican top loading case i carry that weighs around 20-40 lbs depending on the task. It has large carry handles on each end but no sling mounting points. I was trying to find a heavy duty Nylon type carry strap with either hooks or D rings on each end that using maybe same caribiners i could create a heavy duty strap. I have searched the net high and low and only come across fairly cheap straps used for camping and for luggage. All seem to either use plastic hardware or the cheap die cast junk which will fail under the weight i will be carrying. I went to my local fire store and they reccomended Fire Hooks Unlimited's Partner saw strap. They did'nt have one in stock for me to see, but at $15.00, i figured i had little to lose and ordered one. Based on the black and white picture of it, it looks like it might work. Anybody seen one in person?

The other suggestion they had which i know would be plenty strong enough is using a Gut Belt. Pricey for a shoulder strap application, but if it works? ill pay. But again, none in stock. In fact, they claim they are no longer made any more?

Anybody seen any other type of very heavy duty strap that can be had online without going the custom made route?

Forum Member

You can use a seatbelt you cut out during an extrication.
    FF/Paramedic

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

Check Rope Rescue items...... There are some Short Anchor Straps available that would be just right for your needs. The Straps have Eyes sewn into each end, and since they're rated as Anchor Straps, I wouldn't be concerned about weight loading or durability........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    You can use a seatbelt you cut out during an extrication.
    I thought of using webbing, but i don't know of any local places that can do realy heavy duty stiching.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Check Rope Rescue items...... There are some Short Anchor Straps available that would be just right for your needs. The Straps have Eyes sewn into each end, and since they're rated as Anchor Straps, I wouldn't be concerned about weight loading or durability........

Ill check that out, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Try R&B Fabrications. Good stuff at reasonable price. Several choices such as this 2" web

http://www.rbfab.com/item-details.cf...YWORDS%3Dstrap

Forum Member

I am not sure that I would want to lug around this case with a shoulder strap attached to it. I'd see if there was another way to carry it. You could modify a SCBA harness and wear the darn thing like a breather tank!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I am not sure that I would want to lug around this case with a shoulder strap attached to it. I'd see if there was another way to carry it. You could modify a SCBA harness and wear the darn thing like a breather tank!!

The case actually has a built in cart, so 99% of the time, ill be pulling the case behind me. And in virtually any instance where the case cant roll behind me (such as going over dirt, gravel or sand), ill simply carry the case by the top handle. The only time ill need to sling it is when i need both bands free, such as climbing a ladder or rough terrain.

This is the case:

http://www.pelican-case.com/1440-black.html

Forum Member

I got one of the Fire Hooks Unlimited straps from All Hands Fire. It is a pretty heavy duty strap, the snaps seem a bit cheap though with chrome plating already flaking off, but it does the job for now. So far so good.

MembersZone Subscriber

You could try a Google search for webbing. I'm sure there is a site that sells some. I was also wondering what you carry in the case and if you're dragging it through buildings during fires.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    You could try a Google search for webbing. I'm sure there is a site that sells some. I was also wondering what you carry in the case and if you're dragging it through buildings during fires.
    I have not had any problem finding webbing dealers. But like i said in the first post, i am trying to avoid going to custom made route as you need special sewing machines and know how to properly stitch heavy nylon webbing. Custom made would definatley be the way to go i know, i could have it made any way i want, but price is an issue right now.

The case was never intended to be dragged through any building while on fire. The case carries investigative tools and equipment used after an incident. But there are many instances where stairs and easy walk in access simply do not exsist. Climbing over walls, through windows and up and down ladders without some sort of a shoulder strap is very difficult and makes things difficult. I have tried and given up on Nylon bags of any type. They absorb liquids and odor and offer little to no protection against the inside contents.

Thread Information