MembersZone Subscriber

Default Doing away with CPAT....

I was visiting with a department along the Mississippi Gulf Coast last weekend. Two of the firefighters I was visiting mentioned that they had heard that either Mississippi, or the entire fire service, was doing away with CPAT. I have not heard such a thing. Just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this? If so, why are they doing away with it? Seemed like a good exam to me.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe.

Permanently Removed

Did you check out the IAFF website by chance?

As far as I know the CPAT was developed in partnership with the IAFF. Its been challenged in court several times and continues to be a testing standard.

Me- I think its too easy. But then I also think its a move in the right direction for a standardized Candidate medium across the nation. It also saves the department and Candidates time, money and effort on multiple testings.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-18-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Iranfromthezoo

Kevin,

The MS fire academy is having issues with IAFF and stuff like that. They were no longer going to do it but require the individual dept to perform the test. But from my source at the academy they have worked the issues out. MS will not do away with the CPAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cato36 View Post
    Kevin,

The MS fire academy is having issues with IAFF and stuff like that. They were no longer going to do it but require the individual dept to perform the test. But from my source at the academy they have worked the issues out. MS will not do away with the CPAT.

I'll bet it was a dispute over the licenceing fee or stipulations that must be arranged with the IAFF.

FTM-PTB

Iranfromthezoo

It has to do with licensing. The Min Standards Board meets tomorrow about this issue and I'll give you more info when I get it.

Forum Member

I had a better physical test but the powers that was threw it out as "they wasn't getting the people" they wanted on the job. It was designed to be a firefighters test, which had been done by members of the department using all fire department equipment and appliances!!

Some of the HR folks never heard of firefighters ever hoisting anything before. Must have live in a cave all their life!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The problem I have seen lately around here with departments who use their own testing is that they aren't specific enough.

They don't release testing information soon enough, they don't explain it well. Their written explanation is outdated and etc etc..

The CPAT was easy as hell. The explanation and setup left no question though. It is also a great system because it protects the fire department from legal disputes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEeyore View Post
    The problem I have seen lately around here with departments who use their own testing is that they aren't specific enough.

They don't release testing information soon enough, they don't explain it well. Their written explanation is outdated and etc etc..

The CPAT was easy as hell. The explanation and setup left no question though. It is also a great system because it protects the fire department from legal disputes.
    We use to give out a booklet, providing applicants with what was expected and what was done. This showed each step with diagrams. Having said that we werenít going to take them by the hand and feed them this info. If they wanted to come by the drill school we would show them all the steps. Very few took time to come down; most applicants were firefighters elsewhere and knew the drill.

You can only do so much for them. You canít take the test for them either.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information