Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue truck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue truck

Any help on putting in for a rescue truck??? Trying to replace beer truck we use now. Also we are looking to put one in for scba in smae year. Good..bad idea???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by deluge2 View Post
    Any help on putting in for a rescue truck??? Trying to replace beer truck we use now. Also we are looking to put one in for scba in smae year. Good..bad idea???
    If you are classified rural or suburban no real chance to get a rescue. A rescue is a Priority 2; typically only Priority 1 vehicles get funded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does the computer throw it out or can it still make it past???

I ask because we use it for heavy mutual aid. For many differnet uses and it does not fit in right now as it being an old beer truck. Hoping narrative would have a chance at making a needed project.

Forum Member

As Bugle stated above, if it is not a priority one item, you would stand very little chance of it making it through the computer scoring, thus if you do not make it past that point, no one will be reading about how many times you will use it for mutual aid. Maybe Brian or Kurt or some of the other knowledge here could advise if any make it past the computer. Several reviewers on here as well may be able to give some input on what they have seen, but then again, it is a national secret, so maybe they can't.

MembersZone Subscriber

When we were awarded ours this year, we were told we are the third department ever issued a rescue truck grant. We are also on the DC border in a very metro area. FYI
    "The light that goes around, even up-side down".

FH Mag/.com Contributor

2002 had the first (my department), and then San Diego in 2007 along with Hyattsville MD. Which is where Rotoray is from based on his post so I see he updates his Profile info as much as I do with NY being his state listed.

Rescues only make review if they're Urban, and not many since they are the lowest P1 out of all 3 classifications. The other P2 trucks sneak through into Peer every now and again but less than 10 total in 2 years means don't waste your truck app since as far as I've heard maybe 1 was a suburban rescue. You'll have to design the rescue capabilities into a P1 truck to have a chance.

I happen to know you can fit a LOT of equipment on a Rescue/Pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I happen to know you can fit a LOT of equipment on a Rescue/Pumper.
    Is a Rescue/ Pumper a priority one for suburban areas? If so, has anyone had anymore luck with these versus asking specifically for Rescue Trucks?

What about a combination Haz Mat/WMD/Rescue/Wildland/Foam Response vehicle? What would priority would that fall under?

What is does your population have to be to be considered "Urban?" I have a population coverage of 50,000.

We need a Rescue truck...but if we have to ask for a rescue/pumper, fine. How would you work this?

Thanks in advance.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No such thing as a rescue-pumper in AFG, it's a pumper that costs more because of rescue features. Have to be competitive for a pumper to even attempt.

Population density is over 2000/square mile for urban, and the open space stuff counts also. Check your old AFG apps, it says what you picked and whether or not they agreed with it.

Your all-hazards truck is a Priority 2 or 3 for all categories.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    No such thing as a rescue-pumper in AFG, it's a pumper that costs more because of rescue features. Have to be competitive for a pumper to even attempt.

Population density is over 2000/square mile for urban, and the open space stuff counts also. Check your old AFG apps, it says what you picked and whether or not they agreed with it.

Your all-hazards truck is a Priority 2 or 3 for all categories.
    It'll be the first time I've written for this department. Last year they put Urban, BUT they only listed the city limits as their population amount--which is only 13,000. However, a rescue truck (or pumper with rescue features) would be used in the county because we run all county JAWS and any other special rescues. The grant writer was not familar with the AFG and didn't take into account the county population, the number of commuters to work here in the city, the people traveling by on the interstate and other major highways, etc. Our resident population is around 35,000 with daytime population at 50k easily (this is just a guess but probably a low one).

With all that said, I don't know if the AFG people accepted the 13k population as an URBAN population or not (I seriously doubt it). But we didn't get the grant, so maybe mislabeling it had something to do with it. We certainly do not have 2000 people per square mile.

Thanks for your reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReb22 View Post
    It'll be the first time I've written for this department. Last year they put Urban, BUT they only listed the city limits as their population amount--which is only 13,000. However, a rescue truck (or pumper with rescue features) would be used in the county because we run all county JAWS and any other special rescues. The grant writer was not familar with the AFG and didn't take into account the county population, the number of commuters to work here in the city, the people traveling by on the interstate and other major highways, etc. Our resident population is around 35,000 with daytime population at 50k easily (this is just a guess but probably a low one).

With all that said, I don't know if the AFG people accepted the 13k population as an URBAN population or not (I seriously doubt it). But we didn't get the grant, so maybe mislabeling it had something to do with it. We certainly do not have 2000 people per square mile.

Thanks for your reply.
    How big of a "rescue" are you needing? When we did our brush/quick attack, we managed to get in a rig with quite a bit of storage space, so it serves as our "rescue" (Squad is what we call it), plus it has the tank/pump and everything we need for brush, or even vehicle fires. We also have a lot of ISO's "Service Company" equipment on it (pike poles, 6 SCBA, etc).

Rescue-wise, we have our HRT's (cutters, spreaders, rams, two hose reels, and power unit), a rather large airbag set-up, struts, rotary saw, traffic control equipment (8 cones, four signs), stokes basket and LSB, and a variety of other stuff. When we start getting into rope/high-angle rescue, we should have enough room for that stuff, as well, as it's not full to the hilt.

I don't know if you have the need for a brush/quick-attack, but it's another option to get two trucks in one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    How big of a "rescue" are you needing? When we did our brush/quick attack, we managed to get in a rig with quite a bit of storage space, so it serves as our "rescue" (Squad is what we call it), plus it has the tank/pump and everything we need for brush, or even vehicle fires. We also have a lot of ISO's "Service Company" equipment on it (pike poles, 6 SCBA, etc).

Rescue-wise, we have our HRT's (cutters, spreaders, rams, two hose reels, and power unit), a rather large airbag set-up, struts, rotary saw, traffic control equipment (8 cones, four signs), stokes basket and LSB, and a variety of other stuff. When we start getting into rope/high-angle rescue, we should have enough room for that stuff, as well, as it's not full to the hilt.

I don't know if you have the need for a brush/quick-attack, but it's another option to get two trucks in one.

Exactly what I was looking to do Catch. I was a little discouraged by the thread until now. Do you have any tips on how to word it? My email is firefighterreb22@hotmail.com Thanks a ton in advance!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Only permanent resident population counts in the statistics for AFG computer statistics, seasonal and working counts in narrative. Regardless of where the truck would go it's only the first-due square mileage and other info that counts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Only permanent resident population counts in the statistics for AFG computer statistics, seasonal and working counts in narrative. Regardless of where the truck would go it's only the first-due square mileage and other info that counts.
    Okay. I'll remember that.

Our department runs JAWS all over the county, so as far as JAWS is concerned, the first-due area would be the county's square mileage stats, right?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, just city. since other FDs exist the stats are only local regardless of it being the only resource for jaws. running everywhere is a narrative argument.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly what I was looking to do Catch. I was a little discouraged by the thread until now. Do you have any tips on how to word it? My email is firefighterreb22@hotmail.com Thanks a ton in advance!!!
    I sent you a copy of the narrative for our quick-attack via email.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, just city. since other FDs exist the stats are only local regardless of it being the only resource for jaws. running everywhere is a narrative argument.
    Okay, thanks a bunch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I sent you a copy of the narrative for our quick-attack via email.
    Got it. And thanks again. You prob don't need any help, but I got two successful equipment narratives (written 2008); one for washer/extractor and a bunch of extra SCBA bottles; one for turnouts, SCBAs, thermal, and cascade; and a pumper.

If you have a need for any of these, let me know--I'm on the wrong computer tonight. I'll have them to you by tomorrow night.

Again, thanks a ton.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the size of the truck Catch22?? We are using a old beer truck and is sort of full.

Any help.....curt.mongeau@snet.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by deluge2 View Post
    What is the size of the truck Catch22?? We are using a old beer truck and is sort of full.

Any help.....curt.mongeau@snet.net
    It's not a big one by any means. It's built on a GMC 5500 chassis. You can see a couple of pictures of it here. I don't know if it'd hold a beer truck's worth of equipment, but it surprised me how much it held already.

I have to work an extra little bit after I get off shift in the morning, but I'll try to remember to drop you an email of my narrative either tomorrow night or Saturday.

Thread Information