Default Paramedic school in Illinois question

I am about to start calling hospitals for paramedic school applications, but do I need a sponsor from a private or fire department to be accepted in?

The school would not start until August, so I could jump on with Superior before the class started if I needed to, but do you need a sponsor?

Also, what is the interview process like for paramedic school? What kind of questions do they ask? What should I expect?

TY

Forum Member

I'm not sure I can help you since I don't understand the "paramedic schools at hospitals" part? Around here, paramedic programs are typically through the colleges since the area hospitals are not the ones providing the ambulance service. I suppose a hospital can and will host a course but I believe it is a profession normally taught at and through the college level which would require contacting your area colleges for class availability and schedules. No fire deparment or EMS affiliation is required to enroll in college for a paramedic program. Hopefully maybe someone with a little more knowledge about the subject can give you a better answer than me.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    I'm not sure I can help you since I don't understand the "paramedic schools at hospitals" part? Around here, paramedic programs are typically through the colleges since the area hospitals are not the ones providing the ambulance service. I suppose a hospital can and will host a course but I believe it is a profession normally taught at and through the college level which would require contacting your area colleges for class availability and schedules. No fire deparment or EMS affiliation is required to enroll in college for a paramedic program. Hopefully maybe someone with a little more knowledge about the subject can give you a better answer than me.
    x2..

Only requirement that needs to be out of the way before you go for your paramedic is having your basic license.

MembersZone Subscriber

All the ones you are referring to are hospital based with a college offering credits. While sponsorship helps, it is not necessary.

Forum Member

Default Paramedic class

I am currently enrolled in the Paramedic Program through SWIC but it is taught at Anderson Hospital in Maryville. The requirements we had we just to pass the entrance exam, have documented proof of 1000 hours on an ALS Ambulance, and a current EMT-B and CPR card. We weren't required to be sponsored by any service although there is only one in our class not currently with a private or public service. I don't know where you are located but what I did was go around to depts and ask people where they thought the best medic program was taught locally and 95% recommended Anderson (loads of clinical time and a very intense program) Good luck, we are almost 2 months in and it is a big commitment!

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't need to be sponsored, but you will have to arrange ride time with an EMS service. I think we have four students registered with us right now.

Thread Information