Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Unhappy Reduced Manpower

I work in the UK at one of the General Motors manufacturing plants as a Team Leader in the Plant Protection department. We are all industrial fire fighter who are also Trauma/Medical trained. We also look after their security.

Due to the financial problems that GM are suffering they have in their wisdom decided to cut our man hours. I am now expected to respond to fire related incidents with myself as the incident commander and two others fire fighters.

It makes me feel that all future incidents are suicide missions. Interior incidents wonít happen as I canít apply the simple two in Ė two out. The only fires where we can effectively perform our trade safely are external car, skip or portacabin fires.
    All the management can see is the savings they are making. Me. I have a duty of care to my men. Their safety is my No1 priority.

I need some of your experience and advice on how I can go forward with this. If need be, some ammunition so I can present a water tight case for the protection of my team.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1961 View Post
    I work in the UK at one of the General Motors manufacturing plants as a Team Leader in the Plant Protection department. We are all industrial fire fighter who are also Trauma/Medical trained. We also look after their security.

Due to the financial problems that GM are suffering they have in their wisdom decided to cut our man hours. I am now expected to respond to fire related incidents with myself as the incident commander and two others fire fighters.

It makes me feel that all future incidents are suicide missions. Interior incidents wonít happen as I canít apply the simple two in Ė two out. The only fires where we can effectively perform our trade safely are external car, skip or portacabin fires.
    All the management can see is the savings they are making. Me. I have a duty of care to my men. Their safety is my No1 priority.

I need some of your experience and advice on how I can go forward with this. If need be, some ammunition so I can present a water tight case for the protection of my team.
    i know i wont be any help, but i have dealt with manpower cuts before, and sometimes, do what you have to do to keep your boys safe. when the "big one" happens and you can't do anything about it, make sure you are justified in your actions (2-in-2-out, etc) and it will be on them. most organizations like that are reactive, not proactive. to be proactive on your part, look at your response, and hit the books. see what the regulations say that are required for a fireground operation and start there. if the plant has its own regulation that contradicts thier actions, thats a very good start. hope that helps.

good luck and stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Mark, that sux. Sorry to hear about that.

What has been your man power response in the past?

Did you need the manpower you had on scene?

How are you paid (and your guys) - salary, per call, per hour?

Do the responders have other jobs in the facility or are they strictly response?

These are some of the variables the bean counter is looking at so understanding why they made the decision and educating them on the reality of emergency response will help you prove the error w/o hurting your guys or burning down the plant.

Be safe and good luck, R2

Thread Information