Forum Member

Default To Have or to Have Not

Question, and i have got several opinions already. We currently have a 1975 tanker that we have not ran for the past year +. Is it better to have it on the list for the upcoming grant cycle or do give it away. It is beyond our budget to keep it running in an operable and safe manner.

I would like to know what the thoughts are.....

thanks in advance.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking at replacing it? Or are you talking about keeping it around to keep your fleet age low enough to try to get a different kind of apparatus?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If it is still owned by the department for title and insurance purposes it is still in the fleet. Being a 34 year old truck I'm sure that helps the age of fleet argument, which helps create a case for need both replacement-wise and cost effectiveness. Can't afford the repairs, can't afford a new one save for the grant buying you one.

Only way I can see scrapping helps is if it's the lone tanker, then you'd have none in the category which is the slightly higher priority since 'those with none or fewer of the type being requested is the priority'.

Thread Information