Thread: Puc

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Puc

Anyone have any input about the PUC???

Forum Member

Nice 1100 gpm pumper.

Forum Member

We are starting to get some delivered here on the Kansas side on the Kansas City Metro Area.

Engine 31 out of Leawood, Kans. is a PUC. She even has one of those Roto-Rays. Never seen one in person until I saw her parked at a grocery store in their district on my way to church one Sunday morning. Then about 3 weeks ago, on one of my rare days off form work, I got to set her repsonding to an EMS call.

http://www.piercemfg.com/DeliveryDet...1-ddfb166466e6

South Johnson County #2 out of Stillwell, Kans. I believe is about to take delivery of both a PUC Pumper and a PUC Ladder. Both on Impel Chassis. I saw them both this week at Conrad, the local Pierce dealer in Olathe, Kansas.

Ladder will run as Quint 84

http://www.piercemfg.com/DeliveryDet...5-8892ed061c2c

I am not sure what the assignment is for the pumper.
    http://www.piercemfg.com/DeliveryDet...d-f2e5cc1b80d6
    Last edited by MMFireBuff; 02-25-2009 at 11:59 AM.

seems to be increasingly popular with the career departments who have their pumpers on 10 year replacements. They say they seem like they will hold up for that timeframe. Not too keen on the topside pump panel option...looks like an "afterthought" that could cause injury.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have looked at the threads and have not seen much from people you have them. Would really like some input from anyone who has one or good input.

Curt

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink People using them help

We are looking at one for a future purchase I would also like to hear from people using them and what is up with NOCE 1100 GPM pump? Sow a demo and did not like the rattle at idle, rep said there was a dampner kit coming out to lessen noise.

Forum Member

Default What a coincidence

Ive spent most of this morning looking at a PUC that was here at our HQ. It was on a custom Contender chassis.

Of course the chassis is an entry level custom and as such wasn't all that impressive (we are looking at the Arrow XT), but we were VERY impressed with the body and the pump arrangement.

We've bought Pierce since the early 80's and have always been satisfied with the access for maintenance. But this rig had some access features that just blew us away. The transverse compartment above the speed-lays comes out with just two screws and with it removed our mechanic literally walked into the area behind the pump controls!

The 175" wheelbase on a full-sized pumper didn't suck either.

One of the FDs in my area has one PUC and has another on order. Miami-Dade is buying them as well. In fact, our Pierce dealer has 2 Miami-Dade rigs being readied for delivery and we are going to check them out Monday. They are on the Arrow XT which is what we want to see.

One interesting tid-bit. Word is Pierce does now have a Waterous pump that may end up as an option for the PUC if you have an issue with the Darley/Pierce model. Cant confirm that, but that's the word on the street...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

We are meeting with rep next week and will ask about that pump info. We have used hale for years. We just need a truck that can carry a good amount of stuff and do it well. We don't want it stuffed and make it an tough to use.

Forum Member

Not a big Pierce fan but I do like the XT cab. Much better than their other offerings in my opinion. Our neighbors just took delivery of a PUC(Casco E14),we'll see how it works out. So far,so good. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Arrow vs Veocity

We have looked at many arrows and velocity chassis, and there are a few things that are nice about the velocity, wider more comfortable seats, but the arrow is more traditional looking and better looking, anyone care to post some pics of some pucs they hace seen?

Forum Member

Default Puc

As TC Mentioned. We just recieved our PUC on a Velocity chassis. It has the new style mirrors and I like them very much. If you want storage space without making the truck too long than you will like it very much.Ours looks tall as we have 1000 gallons of water on board. The Pierce rep was up this past weekend and went over the pump, and the foam system. She will be in service saturday. I will get some pics posted this week.

Smile

The big deal with the PUC is how the pump is driven right? That's where they gain the space.

There's no tranfer case anymore and all that jazz.

Let me know if I'm wrong, but that's what I gathered from their ads.

Forum Member

silly question ... what is a PUC is it a truck chassis, style, or specific to pirce... and what dose it stand for.
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    silly question ... what is a PUC is it a truck chassis, style, or specific to pirce... and what dose it stand for.
    I know there's no such thing as a dumb (or silly) question in the fire service, and yours isn't, either. However, you may live to regret asking that one!

Some of the more "official" ones are "Pump Under Cab" or "Pierce Ultimate Configuration."

I'm sure some others will follow.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 03-03-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Forum Member

"Pumps Under Capacity",hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also see that e-one offers something almost close....anyone have any input on them?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    It officially stands for "Pierce's Ultimate Configuration," but as CE11 said, a lot of people know it has "Pump Under Cab."

The PUC is available on any of the Pierce cabs, although the Contender PUC is a little bit different from the Quantum, Velocity, Impel, and Dash. The PUC uses a completely different style pump house and pump installation, along with full-height, full-depth compartmentation all the way around.

The Quantum PUC we just got at work to replace our Quantum HDRP has only six cubic feet less storage space than the HDRP, but the overall length is four feet shorter, the overall height is a foot shorter, and the wheelbase was reduced about 30". It has not yet entered service, so I can't give a lot more comment about it's performance (pump capacity or otherwise).

And, they're not cheap....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

PUC = is what junior ff's do when they drink too much !
    :-]
    pierce ugly contest

Thread Information