Forum Member

Default Baby aspirin for chest pain? Do you do it?

For the BLS providers out there do any of you administer or "assist" recommend, etc. 1 or 2 baby aspirin to a pt c/o chest pain? To me it seems like such an easy thing to do with little side effects. We dont carry aspirin in our bag. Just wondering what others do. Im not well versed on regional protocols and if EMT-B are allowed to but if we can administer nitro why not aspirin.

And while I am at it, for the BLS providers, what interventions do you carry?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Yep, we do it here in WI.

4 baby aspirin 324mg

MembersZone Subscriber

In our protocols too.

Forum Member

Basics can do it here in NW Ohio...... Used to be 2, but now 4 x 81mg ASA...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If you are going to give drugs please get a good SAMPLE. It is nice to rule out contraindications. I have seen it a lot where people walk in and shovel asprin in the second they hear the words chest pain. Do not forget the AED.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    In our protocols too.
    same here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    Im not well versed on regional protocols and if EMT-B are allowed to but if we can administer nitro why not aspirin.
    GFPD2005, did you mean to say you can "assist" with nitro if the pt. has a prescription or do you actually carry the med and admin? If you carry nitro then I'm with you and don't understand why aspirin is not in your protocol. Each region is different. We just received an expanded scope this year which included baby aspirin and epi pens but can only assist with nitro.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

god

Default Standing Orders for Chest Pain

Aspirin & Nitro for CP.

ASA: 4x81mg
    Nitro: 1 Spray sublinqually

May repeat Nitro

Forum Member

In our protocols also
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    If you are going to give drugs please get a good SAMPLE. It is nice to rule out contraindications. I have seen it a lot where people walk in and shovel asprin in the second they hear the words chest pain. Do not forget the AED.
    I do completely agree that a good SAMPLE is always a must. We've only got a few contraindications:

Aspirin allergy or aspirin induced asthma.
    Active GI bleeding.
    If patient has taken 325mg within 24 hours.

What do you mean "Do not forget the AED"?

Do you attach the AED to a responsive patient? Our protocols very specifically limit AED use. Here's the text: Use only in patients who are unresponsive, have absent or agonal respiration, and have no pulses over major arteries

Also, I forgot to add - we give 4x81mg.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post

Do you attach the AED to a responsive patient? Our protocols very specifically limit AED use. Here's the text: Use only in patients who are unresponsive, have absent or agonal respiration, and have no pulses over major arteries
    Notice...it says USE only in...doesn't say you can't take it with you.

You take the AED because the person is having CP, so if they are really having the CP they could go down at anytime you are doing pt. care. And they may even be dead before you get there, and you walk up to the house and then find a dead person laying on the floor. Then you got to run all the way back to the unit to get the AED. You should always take your jump bag, O2, and monitor or AED with you when you go into the house with somebody with chest pain, so you don't get caught with your finger up your *****.

And yes on the asprin. 325 mg chewed up.
    Last edited by tnff320; 02-20-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Sorry I meant assist.

We do not carry nitro, epi, oral glucose. Oxygen is pretty much it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    Sorry I meant assist.

We do not carry nitro, epi, oral glucose. Oxygen is pretty much it.
    Even first responders can give oral glucose. Aren't you suppose to have all the supplies that your scope of practice allows you to use? From what I know in order to call yourself a BLS unit you got to have everything.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Not sure what the legalities of that are in Illinois.

As for glucose I believe the reason we dont carry it is the relatively quick response time of the ALS ambulance. I would say we arrive on scene prior to their arrival 80% and they arrive usually a couple mins after. Their IV treatment for a diabetic emergency is much more effective.

I would think that it would be prudent for us to carry the baby aspirin as every second counts in a cardiac emergency.

I emailed our Regional EMS coordinator asking for the latest protocols so I can see what it recommends.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    Aspirin & Nitro for CP.

ASA: 4x81mg
    Nitro: 1 Spray sublinqually

May repeat Nitro
    Same for us in NE Ohio except we carry nitro tablets and also en epi-pen. Intubation for "motionless, pulseless, no gag reflex patients (ie. dead)". We just added CPAP this week for EMT-B as well.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Yep, in our protocols.

Forum Member

Default Baby Asprin

It seems you are located in Region 4 in Madison County and if so I know you can get a copy of the protocols from Anderson Hospital. I believe we are allowed to assist with baby asprin, epi, and nitro (must be patients prescribed drug though) and we do carry oral glucose. If you have an ALS rig close by I would recommend getting a good set of vitals, a good history and a list of current meds.

Thread Information