Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 Henderson, Nevada Fire Exam

Below is information for the Henderson, NV Fire Exam. Henderson is the second largest city in Neveda.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

Education, Training, and Work Experience

Graduation from high school or the equivalent. Must be 18 years of age at time of the written examination for this classification. United States Citizenship is highly desirable.

Special Requirements, Licenses, and Certificates

Must possess valid driver’s license from state of residence at time of appointment and maintain an excellent driving record. Must possess a current certificate as a Paramedic at time of the written examination. For candidates who do not possess a valid Southern Nevada Health District Paramedic certification, certification as a Paramedic from Southern Nevada Health District must be obtained within one (1) year from receiving provisional licensure. Must successfully complete the Henderson Fire Department Paramedic Internship within the time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment. Must successfully complete cadet academy within time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment, to include obtaining a State of Nevada Fire Fighter II Certificate.

NOTE: A 16-week Academy starts June 15, 2009. The City of Henderson shall have the sole discretion and authority to determine the level of training needed for candidates.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS/ASSESSMENT INFORMATION:
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
    1) Completed Employment Application
    2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire

OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
    Candidates invited to the written examination portion of the assessment process must present a valid picture ID such as a driver's license or state identification card and original current Paramedic Certification at the written examination check-in to proceed in the assessment process and be considered for a vacancy in this classification.

Candidates must obtain their written examination results between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Monday, April 13, 2009, in the Human Resources Office. Candidates with top scores will be scheduled at that time for the Oral Review Board interviews starting on Tuesday, April 14, 2009.

Candidates who hold a current and valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card issued by a licensed agency or confirmation of successful testing for CPAT on licensed agency letterhead, issued no more than 12 months prior to application date, will not be required to take the CPAT. Verification of original certification or letter will be required at written examination check-in.

Top candidates from the Oral Review Board will move forward to the Selection Interview process.

NOTE: IF LESS THAN A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED, THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE CLOSED.

ASSESSMENT DATES:
    Written Examination (30%)……Monday, April 13, 2009
    Oral Review Board (70%)…….. Tuesday, April 14, 2009 through Monday, April 20, 2009, or as needed
    Selection Interview………Tuesday, April 14, 2009 through Monday, April 20, 2009, or as needed

CPAT ORIENTATION, PRACTICE and TEST DATES:

Orientation and Practice Sessions are required to be offered but participation may be waived by a candidate by signing a waiver form at the written exam. (See hfdcareers.com for CPAT Candidate Preparation Guide)

CPAT Orientation ....Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:00 a.m. and Thursday, March 26, 2009, 1:00 p.m.
    CPAT Practice Sessions ....Thursday, April 9, 2009, 9:00 a.m. and/or 1:00 p.m.
    Official CPAT Test Date (Pass/Fail)…Thursday, May 14, 2009, 7:00 a.m., and as needed

CPAT Orientation, Practice Sessions and Test will take place at:

City of Henderson Fire Training Center
    401 Parkson Road
    Henderson, NV 89002

SELECTION PROCESS:
    The selection process will consist of an employment application package screening. The best qualified candidates will be invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, or oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment. Appointment is subject to successful completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), background investigation, psychological evaluation, physical examination and a City-paid drug and alcohol test. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. For more information about the City of Henderson Fire Department, please go to www.cityofhenderson.com/fire.

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any experience with applying here?

How many do they usually hire?

Thanks Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

I tested with them several years ago and recieved a job offer. I ended up going with a different department here in the valley. It was a very tough choice as Henderson is a outstanding department. They are very well run with a great group of guys. Henderson takes their medicine VERY seriously. They have some of the best medics in the whole valley. Be prepared to be tested very throughly on your medical knowledge. Also, I'd get ready for a oral board as well as a chiefs board. I found both boards to be challenging. Don't even think about using the same canned answers everyone else uses. Also, their physical fitness program in the academy is no joke. While I like to tease my Henderson buddies about not getting any fires I'll be the first to admit that IMO they have the hardest academy in terms of physical fitness. You will be hurting in the academy and had better be in shape before you get there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have they ever done lateral transfer before? Im coming from WI and just curious what my odds are? Do you know if Henderson is having any problems with the economy right now? Do they have any other businesses besides gambling? And where do most of the firefighters live?

Thanks for all your help, this is good info. It's a big commitment moving your family 2000 miles right now, I want to make sure that I get all the information before I spend the money.

Thanks Eric

Thread Information