Forum Member

Default Charleston, SC taking apps until Feb 23rd

Get in quick! This is all I know about it, if anyone else can fill us in with more details please do!

http://www.charlestoncity.info/dept/....aspx?nid=1748

The City of Charleston is accepting applications for the position of Firefighter until February 23, 2009. Applications must be received by 5pm to be considered. This position requires a high school Diploma (or GED) and valid driverís license. To remain employed all selected candidates must successfully complete the departmentís 16-week recruit class. Candidates selected for hire will be required to pass a post-offer medical examination and criminal background investigation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think we are looking to hire 25. There will be a basic written test, interview, and medical exam. The academy will be 16 weeks. Charelston is firefighter/cfrd. Applications can be printed off the HR website.

Forum Member

do they have any idea when the written test would be scheduled for? i know the web says that we will be notified after the 23rd, my concern is if i'm out of state and having time to buy a plane ticket and plan the trip...also, will we have to make 3-4 trips or will they put a few steps into one weekend to help cut the number of trips for out of staters?

i guess my fingers are crossed they will accept out of state applications, does anyone know any information on minimum requirements (certifications)....

thanks up front for any additional information

MembersZone Subscriber

The written test will probably be in March or April. You should only have to make 2 trips to Charleston, one for the written and one for the interview. If you get hired they usually set up the medical in your home state and fax the results to Charleston. You don't need any certs to get hired. There will not be any extra points given for ff1&2, emt/medic or vet.

Forum Member

I have put a call into the recruiter as I have many of the same questions you do as an out of state applicant. My budget is tight just like everyone else. I will post those answers on here when I hear back. I have heard good things about the area, but know little about the Charleston Fire Dept other than the tragedy that took place a few years back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Written

What type of test is it going to be? Is it the generic civil service or their own? Is the a packet of some sort to study and suggestions on what to learn?

Thanks in advance

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireCowboy1 View Post
    I have put a call into the recruiter as I have many of the same questions you do as an out of state applicant. My budget is tight just like everyone else. I will post those answers on here when I hear back. I have heard good things about the area, but know little about the Charleston Fire Dept other than the tragedy that took place a few years back.

Look forward to hearing these results...from Ohio, and in the same "Financial" tight ship... hope we can get it done

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug7899 View Post
    Look forward to hearing these results...from Ohio, and in the same "Financial" tight ship... hope we can get it done
    I talked to human resources this past Friday afternoon. Matt's post above also cleared up a lot of my confusion. There is no physical so there would only be two trips. I asked her how long a typical process lasts, and she mentioned it would be completed by May. I really like that. I'm not sure how long a drive you are looking at Doug. I know I'm looking at a 13 hour drive, but you can't get the job w/o applying. The gal at HR was a very nice woman, and seemed happy to answer my questions.

Forum Member

Just filled out my application. I will to scan and email tomorrow. For those who don't have a scanner, you can fax it in as well.....I'm not from the state of SC or the region. Out of curiosity, how many applicants is the City of Charleston expecting to apply?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireCowboy1 View Post
    Just filled out my application. I will to scan and email tomorrow. For those who don't have a scanner, you can fax it in as well.....I'm not from the state of SC or the region. Out of curiosity, how many applicants is the City of Charleston expecting to apply?
    I didn't know that you could fax it. I'm guessing it's just the fax number on the application, but do you know that you can fax it for sure? I'm from Milwaukee, so I was a bit worried as well.

I thought I heard that last time there were only about 35-40 at the written. I was told that someone got hired there from the department that I'm on now. He was hired before I started so I haven't talked to him about it.

Forum Member

Default This from charlestoncity.info

You may apply by mail, email, fax or in person.

Physical Address:
    174 East Bay Street, Suite 302
    Charleston, SC 29401

Mailing Address:
    174 East Bay Street, Suite 302
    Charleston, SC 29401

Email: HR@ci.charleston.sc.us
    Telephone: (843) 724-7388
    Fax: (843) 579-7505

Local ordinance requires that male applicants between the ages of 18-26 who seek employment with the City of Charleston shall submit documentation evidencing registration with the Selective Service System or documentation evidencing exemption from such registration.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who works in Charleston. He tole me that there were about 200 applicants as of last week. They are expecting more than normal, as most departments are, with the economy and layoffs. Good luck to everyone taking the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire3fighter0 View Post
    I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who works in Charleston. He tole me that there were about 200 applicants as of last week. They are expecting more than normal, as most departments are, with the economy and layoffs. Good luck to everyone taking the test.
    I just googled Goose Creek, SC and see you are within about half an hour from Charleston. I know you guys enjoy some pretty nice weather down there, but outside of the weather, how do you like South Carolina and the Charleston area?

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not too bad. Stays pretty warm most of the year. Charleston is a interesting place. Lots of history. Some pretty good places to hang out and have a good time. Downtown nightlife can get pretty crazy now and then but overall it's fun. It's actually only about 15-20 min to downtown. It's also only about the same to Isle of Palms and Folly Beach (both nice beach areas) and only 1.5 hours from Myrtle. Many areas are growing and there are going to be several oportunities for employment with a few other departments also. Not trying to take anything away from Charleston but if it doesn't pan out I do know that at Goose Creek we are going to be hiring about 8 this spring or summer. If you don't mind running an ambulance occationaly. Just throwing that out there. If you would like more info let me know. Good luck with Charleston though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just had my dad fax in my app. today. Excited about the opportunity to get to take the test. I have been to Charleston and it is a beautiful place ! Unlike some of the others I will probably be driving to the test because I live in Charlotte, N.C. Thanks for all the info yall have posted up here. I do have a question though.... is the written test like a civil service test or is it firefighter specific?

MembersZone Subscriber

i am interested in taking this test but i will be coming from NW ohio and just have a few questions, How is the pay compared to the cost of living? is it enough to be ok? i have heard these areas are often lower salary ranges and hard to live off of.

thanks

Forum Member

Default hiring how many?

I read somewhere that they just hired 12 recently so they will only be hiring another 12 recruits off this list...anyone know if this is true or will they be hiring the 24 off of this list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems to be a few fellow ohioans interesting in working in chucktown. I lived there for 2 years before moving back to ohio (why, I don't know). Charleston is an amazing city. Like my buddy Wentz, my only concern would be the pay vs. living expenses. Anybody got insight? Thanks!

Forum Member

Default From the job description

Definitley lower than what some of us midwesterners are used to, but on the flip side this sounds like an awesome opportunity. I don't know too much about the cost of living, but here is a tool from CNN to help out:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

Salary Range:
    Firefighter-HS Diploma/GED: $29,284.38
    Firefighter-Associateís Degree: $30,734.29
    Firefighter-Bachelorís Degree: $32,241.54
    Firefighter-Masterís Degree: $33,838.15

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire3fighter0 View Post
    It's not too bad. Stays pretty warm most of the year. Charleston is a interesting place. Lots of history. Some pretty good places to hang out and have a good time. Downtown nightlife can get pretty crazy now and then but overall it's fun. It's actually only about 15-20 min to downtown. It's also only about the same to Isle of Palms and Folly Beach (both nice beach areas) and only 1.5 hours from Myrtle. Many areas are growing and there are going to be several oportunities for employment with a few other departments also. Not trying to take anything away from Charleston but if it doesn't pan out I do know that at Goose Creek we are going to be hiring about 8 this spring or summer. If you don't mind running an ambulance occationaly. Just throwing that out there. If you would like more info let me know. Good luck with Charleston though.
    Just seen that goose creek has a listing for ff/medic? Is that open until filled? I am from MI with my FF/Medic and 4 yrs exp (poc) what opportunities are there for medics there (Goose creek, horry, pawleys)? I know that cost of living is cheaper so is that any way to justify the difference in pay?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Cowboy thanks for the link, that's a pretty handy calculator. I think I could trade the difference in pay for the sunshine and such a great city. Anyone know if there's a medic incentive or how CFD uses medics on their trucks. I know Charleston county handles the EMS but I wasn't sure if CFD supplied the staff or how that works. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

CFD is firefighter/first responder. We don't have Emt's or Medics on the trucks.

Forum Member

How many apps have been turned in so far?

Forum Member

Any word on test dates or exactly how many people applied?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt45 View Post
    CFD is firefighter/first responder. We don't have Emt's or Medics on the trucks.
    I would then assume there is no pay increase for being a EMT or medic then?

FF w/ a master's degree...$33,000. Ouch.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information