MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question about Possible fraud

If a department states in thier narative that if awarded a ladder truck, that it will replace two older trucks and one utility vehicle, and they do not that can be considered fraud in FEMA'S eyes, correct?

I ask because i know of a department that was awarded a ladder truck, and in the narrative stated that they were combining one for three (as stated above), and know that the truck they are planning on only getting rid of two of the vehicles. There is an internal arguement that they are having that they do not have to get rid of all three just because it said they would in the narative.

I believe they are setting themselves up for a problem, but I am not in that department and can not get anyone to listen to me. Is there any specific wording in any FEMA document that I can point them to, to help avoid problems for them latter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cctrtlt2 View Post
    If a department states in thier narative that if awarded a ladder truck, that it will replace two older trucks and one utility vehicle, and they do not that can be considered fraud in FEMA'S eyes, correct?

I ask because i know of a department that was awarded a ladder truck, and in the narrative stated that they were combining one for three (as stated above), and know that the truck they are planning on only getting rid of two of the vehicles. There is an internal arguement that they are having that they do not have to get rid of all three just because it said they would in the narative.

I believe they are setting themselves up for a problem, but I am not in that department and can not get anyone to listen to me. Is there any specific wording in any FEMA document that I can point them to, to help avoid problems for them latter.
    When we got our grant to replace a 1974 model tanker, one of the conditions was that the old rig was to be removed from service. I'm almost certain that there was an additional condition that it couldn't even be transferred to another department.

We had to document what happened to it and how we knew it was permanently OOS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Per the FAQ's:

In my application, I indicated that my existing vehicle was unsafe and that I would remove it from service. What do I need to do in order to comply with this requirement?

The unsafe vehicle cannot be used in emergency service, thus it cannot be sold, donated, and/or given to another department. The unsafe vehicle may be traded-in, taken to the junk yard for scrap, it may be donated to a museum, relegated to farm use, or given to a training academy if the academy is not going to use it for drivers training (they could use it for training FFS on the operation of the pump). In order to assure that an unsafe vehicle is removed, we'll require the grantee to transfer title of the vehicle to any individual or organization that is not in the business of providing first-responder services.
    Per the Agreement Articles (award documents):

Article I - Project Description

The purpose of the Assistance to Firefighters Program is to protect the health and safety of the public and firefighting personnel against fire and fire-related hazards. After careful consideration, DHS has determined that the grantee's project submitted as part of the grantee's application, and detailed in the project narrative as well as the request details section of the application - including budget information - was consistent with the program's purpose and worthy of award. Therefore, the grantee shall perform the work described in the approved grant application as itemized in the request details section of the application and further described in the grant application's narrative. These sections of the application are made a part of these grant agreement articles by reference. The grantee may not change or make any material deviations from the approved scope of work outlined in the above referenced sections of the application without prior written approval from DHS.
    Last edited by onebugle; 02-20-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information