Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Number of Apparatus for Wires Down

I read the threads here: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...highlight=wire , but did not find the exact answer.

For a routine wires down call, where there is no danger to exposures, the public, automobiles, etc, how many apparatus stand by waiting for the power company after the perimeter around the area has been secured? Assume this is a single incident, and there are not numerous calls due to a storm.

A. None- it's the police dept's job
    B. A chief or officer's vehicle;
    C. One Engine
    D. Multiple Engines and Ladders--how many?

Forum Member

I'm trying to figure anywhere in my town that a wire could come down and pose no danger to anyone/anything. Their either in the street and/or someone's yard/sidewalk.

Normal response is 1 engine, 1 ladder. Block the area from either side.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Single engine. If they need more help they'll call for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Single engine. If they need more help they'll call for it.
    Same here, but I will add that IF the police happen to make the scene prior to the power company - I am leaving.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

I'll ask if they're going to stay and wait for the utility guys first. If so, it's thanks brother have a good day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Same here, but I will add that IF the police happen to make the scene prior to the power company - I am leaving.
    Ditto here.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

"Engine 11 is returning. Police on location will secure the area until the power company arrives."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Banned

If the wires are on the ground one crew stands by. If the wires are down but not on the ground then no one stands by. And if the wires turn out not to be power no one stands by either

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I'm trying to figure anywhere in my town that a wire could come down and pose no danger to anyone/anything. Their either in the street and/or someone's yard/sidewalk.
    In our district, we have large 1-10 acre lots where wires run through backyards and front yards. Often, a wire comes down in a tree in the yard, far from the home/driveway in the middle of the night. Contrast where the wire is down and arcing near a dwelling, car, or other structure or in the street. In either case, someone should stand my until the power company arrives, but in the latter case, more than one apparatus may be justified. In Pt. Beach, the lots are smaller, and most times, downed wires would be in the latter case.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And...........

We send an Engine, unless the Dispatch Center has information that indicates a greater response is warranted. We'll stand by if there is a Fire Danger, or if the PD is unable to assist us.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

single engine response. we don't get a pd response for wires down, so we always have to wait. although the other night we ran into another district for wires down and their district chief jumped the call, beat us there and canceled us.

Forum Member

We don't get called unless law enforcement needs a BRT. Then an engine and a brush rig.

Forum Member

I guess i am not seeing the point of fire department to respond to this call, unless there is a fire involved. PD will usually be there right away and really there is not much for FD to do, cant do anything with the power still on.
    IMO, call us when there is a a bigger problem. PD can park in the middle of the street and work traffic control all around. Now if they are down on a more major street, yes PD may need help with traffic control if they have other things going on also.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Back In Black

We respond and when I was Chief.... we'd clear as soon as police were ready.

If the power company doesn't think it's emergent enough to get someone there in 15-20 minutes, then why should we have that responsibility?

Why tie up an engine with 5-8 guys for 2 hours, when 1 cop can put out flares and hang out surfing the internet from his patrol car.

Also, the PO is getting paid, whereas, we are not.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We respond with two engines, block the area until utilities arrive, and generally stand around being bored until they scoot on in. Rarely, does the local law enforcement move on in to take our place. IF it was bad enough to start taking lines down, then they are usually occupied with MVA PD onlys. Yee Rah, we really LOVE to stand in the weather and shoot the S**t by the warm glow of a sparking power line...But I'm not bitter-hell no!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Yep, exactly what he says.

Forum Member

Just a rescue or car for routine "wires down". If the wires or pole or burning/arcing, thats different.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    ...Why tie up an engine with 5-8 guys for 2 hours, when 1 cop can put out flares and hang out surfing the internet from his patrol car.

Also, the PO is getting paid, whereas, we are not.
    I guess I'd rather my tax money paying the officer be put to use by him patrolling and answering other calls as opposed to him sitting at a wire down.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually send out our Suburban or Forestry (Pickup Truck). Generally, when lines come down around here there are other calls going on (Alarms, storm related calls, etc.) we can't see tying up a frontline piece for something we can do nothing about.

Forum Member

We will send an Engine or depending on the information from dispatch the Utility. We are a little different because the Village owns FD and Municipal Power Company. We have two linemen and they can let the Power Company know what is going on by radio or cell phone. We do not (nor do the linemen) do anything until the power trucks get there. (Plus we have three power companies that serve our Town... problem may not be ours.)

Having some knowledge on which wires are in which location on the pole is beneficial to getting the right people coming to fix the problem.

Working with them has helped us in the past. We had a structure fire with lines down and it was not our Power Company's area. Due to the safety factor and their working relationships with the other companies, when I notified them they buzzed a line truck to the scene to secure the line and make it safe until the other Power Company could get there.

Gone.

Depends on if they are arcing, in that case, we send an engine. If they are just down, we either send the squad or brush truck.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I guess I'd rather my tax money paying the officer be put to use by him patrolling and answering other calls as opposed to him sitting at a wire down.
    I guess if you have that much crime, then I can see your point.

I'd rather not see anyone have to sit at a wires down call, but like I said, the power company doesn't feel that it's an emergency or they wouldn't take hours to respond.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We only send a single Engine on a wires down call where there is no danger to the structure. Our power company is usually able to respond in less than 30 minutes if it's nothing major, if it is they normally step it up and get there pretty quickly. I also would much rather see an Engine sitting out there for a wires down than a LEO who can better spend his time patroling. The windows will still be there to clean when we get back to the house.
    Last edited by JCast141; 02-26-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by JCast141 View Post
    I also would much rather see an Engine sitting out there for a wires down than a LEO who can better spend his time patroling. The windows will still be there to clean when we get back to the house.
    I'm not being a smart ***, but why is the time of one public servant more important than the (insert your staffing number here) guys on the rig?

Besides, don't LEO's do traffic details all the time? Isn't that a big part of what they do in most towns?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well...........

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm not being a smart ***, but why is the time of one public servant more important than the (insert your staffing number here) guys on the rig?

Besides, don't LEO's do traffic details all the time? Isn't that a big part of what they do in most towns?

Our Police rarely do any kind of Traffic Work. they're too busy with Crime............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information