Default Female...trying to start! :D

Hi everyone...I'll search on the board...so I won't ask how to get started...although I have a vague idea.

I'm currently in the health/fitness corporate field and...am sick of it. Something about becoming a firefighter really has been an interest of mine. Currently I'm in Houston; however I want to head back home (Chicago) or move out to NYC. I know both departments are VERY competitive and rarely test...but I'm still going to give it my all. Plus, being extremely strong (bodybuilder as well)...I think will hopefully help further my chances...we shall see! I'd love to hear from anyone who has females in their department or...is a female themselves!

Any insight would be great!

Forum Member

Thumbs up starting out

I am a female FF1 and wish you all the luck. I would recommend picking up the IFSTA and Essintials manuals and also look at taking a fire sciences course through a coll. Also try getting in at a lesser station first to get some time in then scan for openings in the larger services. If you want some real challenge you can hit in with a overseas private fireservice for some real intense time several of the gals from my house have done this. Best of luck an your welcome to chat anytime.
    Red

Forum Member

Greetings from Indiana and welcome to the forum.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Welcome

I am new on the forum as well. i am a volunteer in a great area just outside of Philadelphia Pa. I have been very fortunate to join a company that supports female firefighters. I have heard some horror stories. You sound strong hearted and that will be a benefit to you in the long run. Stick with it it is a great feeling of fulfillment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Eh there- welcome to the community! I'm not going to be able to help with the placement as I'm up in Northern Alberta, but just wanted to say that while the strength will be valuable it can be equally detrimental.

I suspect you're fitness is well rounded because you're in that field, but throughout the testing be prepared to switch to a more aerobic regimen. Being more of a bodybuilding / powerlifter hybrid of sorts myself I incorporated a rather intense cardio regimen to help me out with competition (combat challenge) a couple years ago. Someone's always going to be there to help you lift something... nobody is going to be able to breathe for you. I retain my strength but balance it out with charity stairclimbs and combat so it keeps me focussed on the complete package. I'm not as strong as someone who JUST lifts, and can't go as far as someone who JUST runs...

I've been on the forums for a few years now and I have to tell you you've absolutely come to the right place to talk to some unbelievably knowledgeable folks in all fields. The webcasts are also phenominal!

Hope to see you over in the health and fitness sections... I'm always eager to learn from the fitness folks on the job. Maybe I can pick your brain on a few things and in return perhaps I can return the favour.

Best of luck in your quest... We'll see you around in the forums!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Permanently Removed

There were two female athlete/body builder types on here earlier. One was in Playboy about 2 years ago and I lost contact with her. The other girl live in Canada and will still chat once in awhile.

If you want, I can give you her MySpace page. Please contact me via Private Message.

Thanks.

Thread Information