Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Paramedic school

Are there paramedic schools that are not as time consuming as the academy type ones, so I am able to maintain a part time job?

Thank you!

Forum Member

where are you located? i went through at Southwest tn community college and worked full time. it is in memphis,tn and takes 15 months. MFD has been hiring paramedics steadily for 3 years. i don't know how long that will last though. There are other depts in the area that hire paramedics. some cross train, some don't.

MembersZone Subscriber

here in nw ohio there are several community colleges that offer the classes on a 2 day a week basis, each class is around 8 hours and the whole program i think takes 10-11 months with some breaks..

i dont know any medic programs that offer the academy style in this area..

hope that helps..

I am also going through the Southwest Tn CC. Everybody in the class has got a fulltime job, so it's do-able. But everywhere you take paramedic class is going to be time consuming. Not only with class and clinicals, but with studying.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Ditto, I'm going thru the local hospital and we meet 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday) for 4 hours each. But then you add in clinicals and whatnot and it does add up.

But, it's definately doable.

Forum Member

Here it's 10 months two nights a week and every other Saturday. Plus 130 clinical hours outside of that. But don't forget, you get out of it what you put in. Plan on spending a few hours every night you're not in class studying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NW Ohio

Hey, I am attending Sinclair Community College medic program. One of the best medic schools in ohio, its a very in depth program but it will only benefit you in the long run as a medic, if you can get through it. A lot of GREAT on hands training with a lot of very nice equipment to train on, including 2 sim-mans, and an actual medic built in a room. It's a 15 month program, only 2 nights (or days) a week, plus clinicals. There are many hospitals around the miami valley willing to help in the process. Just remember any medic program is going to be time consuming. Good Luck!

Permanently Removed

Default Ohio

Find the cheapest course, find the guys that went through the course get all the answers to all test questions from them, trust me if they are firefighters they have cheat sheets.
    As for the clinicals do just a few hours, double the ICU and L&D, Those dumb nurses dont know if you were there for 8 hours or 2 hours, as for like the phyc just walk in and say sign this. Have your buddy sign your book and sign his book (Ron Goldman) or (dirk diggler). No bodys going to bust you. I hooked up with a nurse treated her like a princess while I was doing my clinicals, she and her friends signed all my stuff. Trust me all nurses are naughty.
    All you have to do is kick it, watch TV and party.
    Being a paramedic isnt a big deal, remember some drugs stab some people in the neck other than than that your are a band aid boy on the agony wagon.

I'm going to give Plugugly3 the benefit of the doubt and assume he's kidding. If so, HAHA. If not, totally disregard this guy.

Either way, like has been said before, medic school is what you put into it. Either you'll come out ready to roll, or you won't. It's about the attitude.

Permanently Removed

Default State gave me a paramedic card.

All kidding aside, being a paramedic is expirerience and being a GR8 EMT basic with the permission to do what you know is the best thing for the patient.
    Remember one thing its all about "Homeostasis" BVM o2 IV and thats all you need to know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    I'm going to give Plugugly3 the benefit of the doubt and assume he's kidding. If so, HAHA. If not, totally disregard this guy.

Either way, like has been said before, medic school is what you put into it. Either you'll come out ready to roll, or you won't. It's about the attitude.
    Unfortunately, plugugly described to a tee some medics I've worked with in NY. They bragged about the same things. Makes me shudder, but these things actually go on. But you're absolutely right, medic school is 110% what you put into it. Read the Brady book, ITLS/PHTLS/Dr. Dubin's Rapid interpretation of EKG's prior to the start of class, and you'll save a good amount of study time. And don't scheme your way out of clinical hours. They exist for a reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dudebro2009 View Post
    Are there paramedic schools that are not as time consuming as the academy type ones, so I am able to maintain a part time job?

Thank you!
    Have you considered working as an ER tech part time? You can structure your hours around school.

Thread Information