Hi,

I'm from Gwinnett County, GA and ready to become a firefighter. I am only 19 years old, but have realized that this is the career for me! I have done a lot of research about the hiring process, but after going to my main department of fire services I learned that the position for "Firefighter" is not currently being offered.

There is however, a listing for a firemedic which does require EITHER being "Certified National Registry AND/OR Georgia Certified Paramedic.

I looked at my local community college and they have a ton of EMT programs.

They have EMT-Basic EMT-1 and EMT-Plus...all of which are certification programs.

Program Description
The emergency medical technician - intermediate certificate covers the U.S. Department of Transportation 1985 Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate. The EMT-I program is designed to provide additional training and increased knowledge and skills in specific aspects of advanced life support above the basic level. Successful completion of the program allows the graduate to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician EMT-I certification examination and receive Georgia Licensure. (Program Length: 2 Quarters Minimum)

This sates that I would be able to take the NREMT test...Would that be enough to apply for the Firemedic position?

What is my best option for getting into the department? Thanks a ton.

Matt Manry