Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue (NJ)

Morning guys. I've been lurking around these parts for a looonnggg time. I've tried to keep my mouth shut and ears open to absorb other's knowledge however, upon reading the news this morning I just had to vent. For anyone not familiar with this department, they have had the same residency requirements regarding hiring since they regionalized some 10 years ago. In other words, these requirements are NOT NEW. Now, because certain people don't want to make the commitment for the job and move to where they need to, they want to take the easy way out and sue for it. I'll let you read the article below. For anyone interested, I found it on Northjersey.com

North Hudson barred from hiring firefighters
    Friday, February 20, 2009
    BY PETER J. SAMPSON
    NorthJersey.com
    STAFF WRITER

NEWARK Ė A federal judge has allowed a discrimination suit against the North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue service to proceed as class action and temporarily barred the agency from hiring firefighters until it expands its residency requirement to include all of Hudson, Essex and Union counties.

In a 33-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Dickinson R. Debevoise certified a class that could potentially be as large as 872 African-Americans from the three counties who passed a state administered exam for firefighters between 1999 and 2006.

The suit alleges the class members were harmed when they took and passed the test but were limited in their opportunities for employment because of NHRF&Rís residency requirement.

The suit, filed in 2007 by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, claims that the regional agencyís preference for hiring only residents of North Bergen, Union City, Weehawken, West New York and Guttenberg discriminates against black candidates.

The five towns, which merged their fire departments in 1998, had a combined population of about 195,000 residents at the time of the 2000 census, less than 4 percent of which are African American, the suit said. Of its 323 employees, two are African-American, the judge noted.

The judge granted the NAACPís request for a preliminary injunction. He blocked the department from hiring firefighters under its current state Department of Personnel list and until it obtains a new list that expands the residency requirement to include Hudson, Essex and Union counties.

E-mail: sampson@northjersey.com

Am I the only one disgusted by this injunction?? NHRFR is not the only department that requires FF's to actually live there before being eligible to be active on a list. In fact, most departments require residency of some kind (whether it be city or county). The only department I can think of off the top of my head that does not is Burlington City...I believe?? If this actually follows through, it will mean A LOT of very messed up things to come regarding hiring in the state of NJ. What's next, are they going to make all career departments expand their residency requirement to their own county as well as 2 surrounding ones?!?

Sorry that my first post is such a negative one however I actually made the move to Union City to be on the next list so it kind of strikes me, and I'm sure a lot of others who made the commitment, a little personally. Anyone else have opinions on this??

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry friend...

Some Guy

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

This is THE REASON THE RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS WERE PUT INTO PLACE. I swear, NJ is the most F'ed up state in the US. Home rules and residency requirements have been the mantra of this state for years. Now it's no good? Then you know what, 14 years ago I lived in Hoboken. I tried to take the Jersey City test. I lived less then 2 miles from city call. When I turn in my application the woman tore it up when it said I lived in Hoboken. I am going to sue.

I have been on the job else where for over 12 years. The last time I looked at the civil service exam I think there was only 2 state wide that list NJ state as residency.
    Last edited by KyleWickman; 02-25-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    This space for rent

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Sorry Bro...............

Not much sympathy here. But, Having said that, I am sorry that people have to put up with the "R" Card being played all the time. Personally, I have always felt that any kind of Residency Requirements are Unconstitutional. We do not have any requirements regarding what I refer to "Your Business". In fact, I know of at least 20 people who work in my Battalion who live in a different STATE. One of the Medics working at my station today lives in Deleware. If I have it right, his relief will roll in at about 06:15 tomorrow, from West Virginia. And this isn't a problem. We do not call crews back for extra alarm Fires or anything, so that's not a factor.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

But playing the "R" card is f-in ridiculous. It happens all the time though and its really sad. I could go on all freaking day about race this and race that, but for the sake of not offending anybody I am going to stay out of this.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

Kyle you are 100% correct. As far as I am concerned the NAACP at this point is a bunch of racist pieces of **** that sue in any direction what so ever to get "their people" what they want. They were the ones that pushed for the residency requirements in the first place to keep all the white folk from the 'burbs out of the running. They were the ones that sued to create the consent decree/affirmative action system that already gives them a huge advantage over caucasians. Another example of why i left New Jersey.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hey Southside..........

It ain't just in Joisey.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default hwoods....

hwoods....well put. I agree with your point. Maybe I wasn't making myself clear in my first post cause of my disbelief that this was happening, however I've had time to cool down. I am with you on residency requirements. Abolish them. Where you work (and you guys get plenty of it in PG County!) is ideal. Live where you live and work where you work. Where you live shouldn't dictate whether you get a job. That's what sucks about all areas, including joisey (see, i can make fun of the way we talk too!), that have them. I can't say I want to be a New Jersey Firefighter. I have to pick an area, invest money in a place to live, which in todays economy is hard enough, then hope that the area I chose is gonna hire. Now all of us in this area have to deal with BS like this where the NAACP is saying that the residency requirement "discriminates" against black candidates?!? LMAO. Oh well, this is the world. Everyone always said it wasn't fair so get used to it right?

MembersZone Subscriber

This just in...

Hudson rescue squad to appeal court order on hiring requirements
    by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk Monday March 02, 2009, 6:28 PM
    The North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue plans to appeal a recent court order they claim creates "reverse discrimination" in their hiring requirements, according to a report in the Record of Hackensack.

The court order blocked the department from hiring new recruits until it changed it's hiring practices -- which was based on residency requirements but as a result excluded areas mainly populated by black residents, the report said.

With support from the mayors of Guttenberg, North Bergen, Union City, Weehawken and West New York -- the towns that formed the regional department in 1998 -- the fire and rescue squad's executive board will appeal a Feb. 18 injunction issued by by a U.S. district judge, the report said.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

When they first formed I told everyone I knew there this was going to happen and they all said it never would. All I can say now is good luck... but the parasites will still find a way to worm their way in without working for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    When they first formed I told everyone I knew there this was going to happen and they all said it never would. All I can say now is good luck... but the parasites will still find a way to worm their way in without working for it.
    Of course it was bound to happen. The NAACP has done it over and over. Clifton FD (with their own problems right now) is a classic example.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information