Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Unhappy Help with SCBA bids

I just took a look at 4 bids for 23 new SCBA's and 5 RIT packs. Three of the bids range from $132,206.00 to $135,927.13. The RIT kits range from $2,386.81 to $2,900.00 each. Each of these bids are pretty close. Now my problem is with brand X, their bid came in at $114,879.92 and their RIT kit was $483.44 each. No one in my department wanted brand X. I did include the clause that we have the right to accept all, part or none of the bids. I'm thinking of contacting vendor X and asking if their bid of $483.44 for each RIT kit is correct. If it is not, then maybe reopening the whole bidding process again. I'll have a hard time convincing the township board to go with another vendor and spend $21,000.00 dollars more. I'll take any help that you can give me. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

It almost sounds like they only bid part of the RIT pack, like just the bag and not the internal components. Whether you should rebid, exclude their bid, or whatever I don't know, that's up to how your bidding process works.

I would definitely find out why there's such a discrepancy, though. If they're not who you're wanting the SCBA from and want to stick with the bids you have, at least you have an explanation of why there's such a difference in cost.

Forum Member

That's what I kinda thought. I was wondering if they left a 2 off of the front of the price. You can't even buy a one hour composit cylinder for that price.

Forum Member

Catch22, I just got the phone with the rep from brand X (Scott). He stated that the RIT price is the right price, the mfg is giving us a good deal and he is passing the savings to us. The other thing that I am hearing is that they are low balling to make the sale in the front, but making it up with the maintance agreements and calls in the rear. I'll be checking that out on Monday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rands1 View Post
    Catch22, I just got the phone with the rep from brand X (Scott). He stated that the RIT price is the right price, the mfg is giving us a good deal and he is passing the savings to us. The other thing that I am hearing is that they are low balling to make the sale in the front, but making it up with the maintance agreements and calls in the rear. I'll be checking that out on Monday.
    OK, that makes more sense. The Scott RIT pack may be set up different than the others. Rather than sliding what's basically another pack into it, it's got it's own hose assembly.

Forum Member

Default SCBA Bid

Our Grant was for 18 SCBA, Accountibility package, Fill Station and RIT Pack.
    We received grant $134,000 plus or minus a couple of dollars. Our SCBA with
    all bells and whistles was 4825 apiece (MSA) Bauer fill station 34000, RIT was some thing like 1600. Any way we had 4000 dollars to buy laptop for
    accoutibility package.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DTaa66 View Post
    Our Grant was for 18 SCBA, Accountibility package, Fill Station and RIT Pack.
    We received grant $134,000 plus or minus a couple of dollars. Our SCBA with
    all bells and whistles was 4825 apiece (MSA) Bauer fill station 34000, RIT was some thing like 1600. Any way we had 4000 dollars to buy laptop for
    accoutibility package.
    what type of Bauer fill station did you get?

Forum Member

Bauer UNIII13h-e1

Forum Member

Rands1, be careful with the maintenance agreement, you can't add that in the price if I am not mistaken. No extended warranties or anything along that line.

Forum Member

Limeforever, we just heard that this is what is happing with this Scott vendor. We are not asking for any maintance agreements now. That will come later using our own money. Thanks for the concern.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maintenance agreements are a waste of money. These companies should build quality products and stand behind them. I got MSA with an 07 grant and have no problems with them. Clean them up after fires and check batteries you should be fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    Maintenance agreements are a waste of money. These companies should build quality products and stand behind them. I got MSA with an 07 grant and have no problems with them. Clean them up after fires and check batteries you should be fine.

Heard of annual function tests?

Compare the Scott and MSA standard warranty. How each stands behind no charge out of warranty repairs (never heard of MSA paying for such).

Forum Member

MSA will pay for the warranty repair if you have an annual flow test completed on the packs. We do our flow test and our quant fit test at the same time. The rep comes in and can do both on site. This takes the liability off the department, and keeps the warranty good on the pack. We had a problem with the heads up display and the voice amps cracking, and MSA replaced them all free of charge. These cost must be picked up by the department, and are not eligible for funding through AFG unless the department list and purchases the equipment and sends someone to tech school. But the liability issue comes back in when they do that. My department wears MSA, the training agency I teach for wears Scott and also have a few Draeger, and we had survivair for several years. The packs are pretty much a push, just depends on which one you feel comfortable with.

Forum Member

We currently use MSA, no major complaints about them. We have a function test done on them every year. We are in the process of purchasing a Porta Count face fit test machine with the AFG Grant we won this year.
    It looks like we may be going with Sperian (Surviair)for the SCBA. They received the most votes from our one month of evaluation of 4 differant mfgs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up SCBA bids

Instead of using a bid try looking at purchasing consortiums, the bid process has already been taken care of. One that comes to mind is hgacbuys.com , this is Houston Galveston area...it also has a link to each states laws about buying from a consortium. My department is in Louisiana and we buy ambulances off the contract, this eliminates the lengthy process of bidding.

Thread Information