Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mabas

Forum Member

Default Mabas

I was searching for an old thread today, wanted to see if any NEW faces will be at this yearís conference, and got hung up in some old reading. Itís amazing how far we have come, forming division, box cards, dispatch, dues just a few I read through. Last Friday as we were driving home from Pekin with our new Polaris Ranger and trailer, I got to pondering how much equipment has been entrusted to our division, by a rough guess well in excess of 1 million dollars worth. Will this funding dry up? Many have said it will but I have heard that for 3 year's, and still appears to be strong, I think if it continues for the next 3 years, we will be here to stay, after all the new administration is from Illinois. Now with that said how many got the new Polaris out and played in the snow??

Forum Member

At what point do we say we have enough toys and this becomes govt. waste?

Being in the St. Louis Metro we benefit from MABAS and an organization called STARRS that is primarily funded with ODP UASI money.

We have off the top of my head from both:

-A shiny new Pierce HazMat truck (filled with equipment)
    -One of the MABAS air trucks
    -A portable light tower
    -Big command vehicle that went to Katrina
    -Portable air trailer
    -Dont forget the ITTF MSA Millenium Gas Masks for every firefighter with cartridges that expire in May
    -A cache of pills to take for each firefighter and family member that expires next year
    -Im sure there are a couple vehicles and toys that I missed

Now. Travel 20 mins. north of us and you get to Calhoun County. Drive by some of their departments and you will see open cab pumpers from the 70's as their first out apparatus.

I agree that MABAS is important and we need equipment to function in a disaster. So how about we say we have enough decon trucks and air Trailers for now and start buying some "get the job done" commerical pumpers for these departments that are running 30 year old trucks?

Why? Because they need it and will use it a lot more than a decon truck. Another reason? IF St. Louis or Chicago has a large "event" that requires assets from nearby counties who will backfill the responding departments? Thats right the rural volunteer depts. with their 30 year old trucks.

Forum Member

Interesting;
    MABAS is not here for the run of the mill pumpers. If a department cannot afford to buy a new or good used truck every once and a while, might be time for them to merge with someone else, or raise taxes. Yes I know taxes are a bad word but to many fire district trustees are there for the sole purpose of keeping taxes low, if they havenít been raised in 10 years itís time to do so. If Chicago or St. Louis have an incident you wonít get that dept with 30year old equipment, they wonít make it past credentialing, and if you have them on your cards, might want to rethink that. Funny you mentioned the masks that I do agree with, a total waist of 13mil but I donít think MABAS had full say on this. As for the air truck itís one of only 8 in the state. Now if you donít want any more ďtoysĒ from MABAS, let me know, Iíll have them take you off the list, thereís a lot of others that would love to get some of this stuff.

Forum Member

Larry
    See you on Monday!
    Up front and to the right again this year?
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

10-4...no wait.....yes

Quote Originally Posted by trainer View Post
    Interesting;
    MABAS is not here for the run of the mill pumpers. If a department cannot afford to buy a new or good used truck every once and a while, might be time for them to merge with someone else, or raise taxes. Yes I know taxes are a bad word but to many fire district trustees are there for the sole purpose of keeping taxes low, if they havenít been raised in 10 years itís time to do so. If Chicago or St. Louis have an incident you wonít get that dept with 30year old equipment, they wonít make it past credentialing, and if you have them on your cards, might want to rethink that. Funny you mentioned the masks that I do agree with, a total waist of 13mil but I donít think MABAS had full say on this. As for the air truck itís one of only 8 in the state. Now if you donít want any more ďtoysĒ from MABAS, let me know, Iíll have them take you off the list, thereís a lot of others that would love to get some of this stuff.

Trainer I agree with what you are saying, how ever I see the points GFPD made also, if we dropped off Depts. with old equipment in our division. you would possibly take over have the departments out of M.A.B.A.S. Food for thought when was the last time you seen a sqaud car running around that was over 10 years old? unless it is a small town you probably have not, Granted a sqaud car is alot less than a new engine.

it is especially hard when you are a department like we are who have 7 stations, each station has an engine a brush truck and a tender, that is ALOT of equiment to take care of and we cover over 250 square miles which is ALL rural so it beats the crap out of the trucks

I think the point he was trying to make was YES we have alot of great tools thanks to the DHS & M.A.B.A.S. how ever most of it sits and waits for the "WHAT IF" while equipment that is run everyday is beat up and rundown. which honestly is the equipement you are going to use before you need the shiny new stuff, with the exception of the HAZMAT Trailer which ours is actually out on a call right now.

the answer, I am not sure there is one,
    we were lucky enough to get a low interest loan last year so we have 1 NEW engine, I belive out next newest is a 2000 or 2001

Forum Member

Larry,

Thanks for bringing the air truck over when we have our house burn that will help out big time. Good thing we have one to use.

THANKS MABAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

trainer:
    What's the deal?
    You over here playing to a bigger audience?
    Other site too tame?
    Just because we have been the benefactor of some of the MABAS equipment doesn't mean that you should be stirring the pot of those who haven't.
    And it's all good until someone higher up says it's time to take or move the equipment.
    Don't think it can happen?
    Sit back and watch.
    Art
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

The Illinois only crowd is more active over here.

Whoís stirring the pot????

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Now if you donít want any more ďtoysĒ from MABAS, let me know, Iíll have them take you off the list, thereís a lot of others that would love to get some of this stuff.
    THAT is the big spoon, my friend.
    But, you go on and have some fun.
    I'm fighting the dogs at the Jake site.
    They didn't like my description of today's fire cadets.
    Or my safety talk.
    Hell; I don't feel the love there anymore.
    Art
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    And it's all good until someone higher up says it's time to take or move the equipment.
    Don't think it can happen?
    Sit back and watch.
    Art
    And this is not stirring the pot? or maybe poking the stick a little.

Forum Member

Learned of two more things in our Division.

1. The ILEAS team has a new air truck as well.

2. Drove behind the County Sheriff's office today and there is a huge red trailer there labeled MABAS 35 with all the pretty decals, ITTF, etc. that says SPECIAL OPERATIONS on the side. Can anyone tell me what is inside that? Is that another piece of equipment that MABAS is giving out or did my division put that together?

Forum Member

Iím trying to locate the map of resources I have for mabas equipment, but if you have never seen the air truck before itís probably on loan from another div for you to train on. There are some new trailers coming, mass casualty, but I donít think they have been ordered yet.
    Iím curios why you called it an ILEAS team?

Forum Member

We do have one of the offical MABAS air trucks.

I also found out that the ILEAS team in our area has an air truck as well. www.ileas.org

So in our county we have a MABAS air truck, an ILEAS air truck, a STARRS air trailer, a cascade on our HAZMAT Truck and all of the other cascade systems on the various rescue units owned by departments.

Forum Member

That sure seems like overkill. Do fire and police get along in your neck of the woods? Kind of sounds to me like these 3 originations need to build a vocabulary. Having cascades in all the apparatus is a given, not everyone will have a compressor, but 3 portable fill stationÖ?? Hell Chicago and its burbs only have 2.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I don't know if ILEAS and MABAS talk to each other, but there is a lot of duplication in the state. Lots of $$$$ just sitting around waiting. We could probably get along with less.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen pics of these new MABAS mass casualty units. They are large semi trailers. Not sure when they are supposed to be distributed or if they have been or even how many they are making. Our div. 45, has an air truck. It is housed @ a dept right next to a dept that has a mobile cascade??? They have done a pretty good job of spreading the resources around the div.

Forum Member

I dont know the extent to how well our local ILEAS unit talks to the local MABAS admin. There was one joint exercise a couple years ago called "Prairie Thunder" which turned into "Prairie Blunder". I guess it did show that some things need alot of work.

I am not even sure most fire departments in the county know what ILEAS is and that they have an air truck. I am not a command officer but if I was and I needed an air truck I would call for the ILEAS one 5 minutes from us rather than the MABAS one sitting at a volunteer station 45 mins. away. Would the ILEAS truck show up? I dont know....

ILEAS also has two Bear armored personnel carriers (us fire guys just call them the Tanks) in the county. One is kept by the county sheriff. It is supposed to be able to be used by any department in the area but I have been told by more than one sheriff's deputy that they wont let anyone else drive it because of "insurance" reasons.

Any takers on whats inside the huge "SPECIAL OPERATIONS" MABAS trailer?

I do know that at our next hazmat team meeting I am going to ask for a list of all the stuff we have and where it is. Hopefully I can get a list of what our neighboring division has as well.

Im beginning to think our two divisions might have more resources than the City of St. Louis!

I would love to see a state resource list if anyone has anything like that.

Forum Member

Jack, I donít agree with the exception of the decon trucks, 27 total but the idea was to put one in every collage town; with all of this stuff they want it within 1 hour response of anyplace/incident in the state. I have no idea what ILEAS has except the command truck. Each hazmat and TRT team is supposed to have the same equipment. Make sense?
    Pmed I have not seen any pics if there is one it may be a concept because they have not been built yet, but more then likely you seen one of the portable warehouse trailers, home depot on wheels and there are 7.
    GFPD will ILEAS come?? Good question as we have had problems here also, there is an agreement between them and mabas but I have herd they may not come because they have to pay someone to get it there, but if this occurs let the higher ups know. Your special opps trailer may be stocked with equipment for 1 of 3 teams, hazmat, TRT or dive opps or a combination of all, is it a semi trailer? Might be what Pmed seen. Now for the state wide inventory; I have a PowerPoint that shows most of it except the TRT and hazmat team stuff, well it shows some of the high dollar stuff, itís a 4mb download if you want me to email it. When they showed it at the conference it had locations but the copy I have does not, Iím working on getting that.
    What everyone needs to keep in mind Mabas is NOT about day to day operations but is there for that ďwhat ifĒ and supplying equipment for that. Now Iíll get back to that but your box cards ARE setup for day to day opps and itís all about not depleting more than 20% of you MA partners resources. Ok for the ďwhat ifĒ mabas taped into the feds funding stream through ITTF and they get it from DOD and itís their goal to supply resources for WMD events but this has since grown to cover FEMA and IEMA events also, different source of funding. I could throw out some more acronyms but itís about federal money from different originations and the equipment they think we need, do we need it? Maybe, I hope not, but they think we do. Mabas wants us to take this equipment and come up with different uses; they donít want it to SIT.
    Well I didnít intend to write a book this morning bit I think you need to know how this stuff is decided on. Mabas has committees; anyone can sit on these committees as long as youíre a member, doesnít have to be a chief or from a paid dept. These committees form ideas and equipment needs, draft a plan and a budget and then submit a grant application. Who would you have decide what we need, someone sitting in an office (this was where the masks came from) or a group of fireman.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I would say the trailer is not the typical over the road semi trailer but it is very large. Larger than the IFSI Hazmat class trailer if you are familiar with that.

I would appreciate the powerpoint. erikgfpd@gmail.com

Thanks.

Thread Information