Forum Member

Default Something to aim for

Local guy just retired, kinda neat story:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ighter20m.html

Seattle firefighter retires today after 50 years on the job

Kenny Hoefner is retiring after 50 years with the Seattle Fire Department, after fighting some big fires, driving big trucks and establishing a big scholarship fund.

GREG GILBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Kenny Hoefner, 72, is retiring after 50 years with the Seattle Fire Department. He's fought some big fires, including four at Todd Shipyards and the Polson building multialarm fire on the Seattle waterfront in 1974. Hoefner will work his last shift as a Seattle firefighter on Monday.

On Monday, Seattle firefighter Kenny Hoefner will follow a routine he knows quite well when he reports to work at Station 33 on Renton Avenue South. Only this day will be special.

After 50 years with the Seattle Fire Department, Hoefner, 72, is calling it a career.

Hoefner started with the department on Jan. 5, 1959, when he was 22. He's had only a few sick days, including once, in 1966, when he came down with the mumps. Since then, he hasn't had a sick day or missed a shift.

Hoefner's only worked at two stations, starting at Station 14 on Fourth Avenue South before moving to Station 33 in 1972.

To give back to the job he's had all these years, he established the M. Kenneth Hoefner Scholarship fund to pay for college tuition for firefighters' sons and daughters. Over the life of the fund, his contributions totaled more than $500,000. This year, the scholarship distributed $47,000.

Copyright 2009 The Seattle Times Company

Permanently Removed

Damn! Good job. Thanks for sharing!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.........

I registered to post on the Newspaper Blog to add my congratulations. Anyone can do it, and I'd ask that you do, to show this Gentleman, and the citizens of Seattle, that an accomplishment like this shouldn't go by unnoticed.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Harve- Good call. I was even thinking about faxing up a letter to the SFD.

Heck- At age 72, I will be lucky if the blue pill works for me. And that guy hasnt taken a sick day in a long time! He rocks!

Bou

Forum Member

Just as an FYI, this brother isn't working in the nice part of town, going on 1.5 runs a day. E-33 is a fairly busy company, located in a low-income, high-crime area, with all the challenges that we know those areas bring.

Just still being on the job at 72 is something, but being on a busy engine at 72 is freaking amazing.

Forum Member

Geez! And some of the young 'uns think that 25 years on the job is too long!

No good deed goes unpunished

MembersZone Subscriber

A big "Congratulations" and "Thank you" to the brother. Worked with him a few times during my time in Seattle riding the buses.
    Along with a great bunch of guys at 33's!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.................

Bou - Thanks Bro. My wife and I were talking about this last night. She raised a good point - How do we get Today's Kids to establish a "Work Ethic" like Kenny's??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    Just as an FYI, this brother isn't working in the nice part of town, going on 1.5 runs a day. E-33 is a fairly busy company, located in a low-income, high-crime area, with all the challenges that we know those areas bring.

Just still being on the job at 72 is something, but being on a busy engine at 72 is freaking amazing.

I didn't know Seattle has a ghetto sh*thole...spent a vacation there a few years back and saw much of the city with a friend who lived there. Never saw any places where I felt like I was going to get jacked. Even downtown near the smut joints seemed clean and welcoming.

Only noticed the firehouse near the Baseball stadium and the one on the water near that fish joint.

Congrats on his retirement.

FTM-PTB

Yous guys still have Dicks Burgers up there?
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-25-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

Yep, still the same!
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

It's all relative, right?
    All cities probably have there good and bad areas; what's a sleazy s-hole in one town may be classy living in another
    And some people's level of "I'm scared to walk here" is vastly different as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by flipper123 View Post
    It's all relative, right?
    All cities probably have there good and bad areas; what's a sleazy s-hole in one town may be classy living in another
    And some people's level of "I'm scared to walk here" is vastly different as well.

I thought all residents of Seattle had stock options with Starbucks and Microsoft?

I guess not!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Yes Dicks Burgers still exists!

I thought all residents of Seattle had stock options with Starbucks and Microsoft?
    See below:

To give back to the job he's had all these years, he established the M. Kenneth Hoefner Scholarship fund to pay for college tuition for firefighters' sons and daughters. Over the life of the fund, his contributions totaled more than $500,000. This year, the scholarship distributed $47,000.
    That's the kind of man he is.

Bou - Thanks Bro. My wife and I were talking about this last night. She raised a good point - How do we get Today's Kids to establish a "Work Ethic" like Kenny's??
    Clip the article and do an informal training session when drilling the new guys. It's a start.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    Curious- Did you mean 15 calls a day instead of 1.5?

Forum Member

E33 made 2376 runs in 2008
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Curious- Did you mean 15 calls a day instead of 1.5?
    No. I meant 1.5, as in he's NOT working in a company that only does 1.5 runs a day, he's working in a fairly busy company.

Permanently Removed

Copy, thanks. He is the man regardless.

Forum Member

Sh-t yes, when I'm 72 I'll be happy if I can make it through a meal without falling asleep in my soup.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post

Heck- At age 72, I will be lucky if the blue pill works for me.

Bou
    Are you sure it works now for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I didn't know Seattle has a ghetto sh*thole...spent a vacation there a few years back and saw much of the city with a friend who lived there. Never saw any places where I felt like I was going to get jacked. Even downtown near the smut joints seemed clean and welcoming.
    No no FFRED....You are just used to the smut houses so it seems normal and welcoming to you!!

Hey, I just hope I see 72, much less be retiring at that age. That is absolutely awesome!! Just think all the lives he has touched in 50 years on the job. He is a true American hero...One of the last of his breed. This guy and Harve are in a league all their own.

Guys like this have forgotten more about firefighting that most of us will ever know. If only the kids coming in today could learn something from guys like this about their work ethic, duty, and honor this world would be a much better place.

A HUGE salute to Kenny!!! Thank you very much for your service and making this world a better place. Huge respect deserved!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information