MembersZone Subscriber

Default psychological exam

Just wondering if there is any way to prep for a psychological exam, i have one latter this week. any input would be great

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dnaleirttocs View Post
    Just wondering if there is any way to prep for a psychological exam, i have one latter this week. any input would be great

Not sure if the test is standard, but i just had one recently. It was 176 questions all true or false.

Many of the questions are simply asked multiple times, just in different ways spready out through the test.

Do you like Scuba Diving?
    Have you ever thought about scuba diving?
    Would you like to try Scuba diving?
    Does scuba diving sound like fun?

The same went for skydiving.

Another common question asked many ways...

Do you like large crowds?
    Large crowds of people are exciting?
    Are you uncomfortable in large groups of people?
    I enjoy crowded places?

I was told, be DULL. They want calm people. No risk takers.

Do you like reading poetry?
    I would rather stay home and read then go to a party

I was super dull and i passed.

Basically, forget about what you really think, instead, think about what an employer would prefer. Calm, quiet and mellow. Not into risk taking or extreme sports. Not into partying.

Forum Member

You have to pass the psych test first time out!

The following is from a previous article from the career articles section of Firehouse.com here: http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...me-Out/8$51941

Whatís included in the psych test? There is a written test that sets up a profile of you. Then, there is an evaluation by a psychologist.

Written Test: The most common written portion of the psychological evaluation is the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory interview test of up to 1000 questions. The aim here is not to pass the test but to go into the job fully prepared. Put your pride and natural defensiveness aside. They ask a few questions in several different ways. You want to answer questions ďstrongly forĒ or ďstrongly againstĒ instead of being in the middle undecided. Answer questions to present yourself as a more social, interactive, team playing type of person, i.e., you would rather be in a conversation with others than reading a book alone.

The Evaluation: This is where the wheels start coming off the wagon for too many candidates.

Before the interview, the psychologist will often have you take a separate personality test, fill out a personal family history, a biography and additional information forms.

The biggest error candidates make during the psychological evaluation is thinking there is a patient/doctor confidentiality even when the doctor has them sign a release that there is not. This is not your family doctor. Guess whoís paying the bill?

What gets candidates in trouble here is they want this job so bad that they will say and do almost anything even when theyíre not even asked. They get chatty and think this doc is their friend.

So what should you do?

Only answer the question youíre being asked. Before you volunteer information, think before you speak. If they want to know more they will ask. Donít appear to be closed but warm and cordial. Present your ideas clearly. Donít ramble or chat. Be articulate. This is how youíre going to be in the field. Believe it or not this is part of the job interview. You are making an impression of who you are going to be as a firefighter.

Make sure you dress up and donít slouch. Be prepared to audition for the part of being a firefighter. Know your strong points. Be prepared to demonstrate you are a team player.

This from a new firefighter:

I want to comment on your psych test information and report. I had to take one for two departments. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, while presenting myself as a very positive social person. Some of the "experts" out there say that you should be brutally honest on the test. Well 3 good guys I know did just that, and they did not pass either test. We lost 10 out of 25 guys on one test! I feel that is a very dangerous test, and some of the advice these people are giving out is costing great candidates a job. Steve.

This from an in service firefighter: During the last hiring process 2 years ago the psychologist passed 10 people. Of those 10, 2 have quit, 2 have been fired, and 1 committed suicide. I wonder if he is worth what the city pays him to evaluate prospects? Have a nice weekend.

More on the psych here: http://eatstress.com/psych.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob,
    As usual, you have completely overexagerated the psych test. Your tact of scaring people about the psych test so they will BUY your materials is getting old.

You make up a post from an "Inservice" firefighter. You don't use his full name or his department. Whanever you post something and do not use his name or his department, people believe you made up the information.

For the record, the candidates DO NOT KNOW THE OTHERS WHO ARE TAKING THE PSYCH TEST. IT's ALL CONFIDENTIAL.

Give me a break
    The number that 40% of candidates fail the psych is a complete crock. I challenge Captain Bob to provide documentation to prove this. I guarantee this is absolutely false. It's a scare tactic to sell more products.

I guarantee he will not be able to produce any legitimate documentation to substantiate his point.

You cited two examples of different departments. Please identify them (and your source) so we can verify this information. If you are able to support your statements, I will edit my post. Until then I am calling BS.

To the candidate:
    Take the test, you will be fine....
    Last edited by BCLepore; 02-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Bob,
    The number that 40% of candidates fail the psych is a complete crock. I challenge Captain Bob to provide documentation to prove this. I guarantee this is absolutely false. It's a scare tactic to sell more products.

I guarantee he will not be able to produce any legitimate documentation to substantiate his point.

To the candidate:
    Take the test, you will be fine....
    Itís irresponsible to approach any phase of the hiring process without preparation.

Chief, please point out above where I quoted, ďThe number that 40% of candidates fail the psych?Ē

If you follow the link to the article above http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...me-Out/8$51941
    it states:

ďMost candidates are more than surprised when I tell them up to 40% fail the psychological test given by many departments.Ē

My information was obtained from Robert Thomas Flint, Ph.D., of Concord, California whoís firm conducts psychological evaluations and re-evaluations of potential peace officers and firefighters who have failed psychological tests. Although he tends to agree 40-50% of the original decisions were valid, he finds that another 30-50% of the rejected candidates are acceptable and can handle the job.

The failure rate depends on the mindset of the psychologists providing the evaluations and the level the FD sets for passing. Some agencies have a higher rate of failure than others.

Psychologists can use different rating scales that range from three to seven. They are similar to school grades of A, B, C, or marginal etc. A retired Fire Chief from a large Northern California department told me at one time he was able to approve candidates who had a grade of B but HR took that away from him and only accepted the Aís. The failure rate after sometimes went over 40%. This was frustrating because these candidates would go on to be hired by other departments.

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    For the record, the candidates DO NOT KNOW THE OTHERS WHO ARE TAKING THE PSYCH TEST. IT's ALL CONFIDENTIAL. ....
    Itís common for candidates going forward in the hiring process for an agency through orientations to know many of the other candidates in the process. Some are testing buddies. Often these candidates will take the written psych test as a group in the same room and come back later for the evaluation with the psychologist. They know when someone else fails. You can even read the postings on these bulletin boards for particular agencies where the candidates are using PMís, IM's to get together, car pool and arrange housing.

I talked to the firefighter from a South Western department who wrote the following. He wants to remain anonymous. Chief, Iím sure you would honor a similar request.

This from a new firefighter: ďI want to comment on your psych test information and report. I had to take one for two departments. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, while presenting myself as a very positive social person. Some of the "experts" out there say that you should be brutally honest on the test. Well 3 good guys I know did just that, and they did not pass either test. We lost 10 out of 25 guys on one test! I feel that is a very dangerous test, and some of the advice these people are giving out is costing great candidates a job. Steve.Ē

Itís devastating to hear form candidates who have invested time and treasure to obtain a firefighter job when the career they wanted evaporates before their eyes. Because they didnít prepare in advance to understand and gain confidence in what to expect in the psych test process.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-27-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Permanently Removed

Dnaleirttocs- Iím not an expert on the psych. exam, but have passed and taken at least two of them.

I canít give you much advice except to reflect on my past. If I were you, I would start reviewing your past life history in the areas of money management, drug use, sex (normal relationships), past relationships (parents, friends, and co-workers), gambling, etc.

Maybe just review all of these subjects in your head, maybe get some time lines down and get the best mental picture of each area. Why? Do when you are asked about these subjects, your donít appear to be fumbling over the details of your answer. i.e.- Did I last smoke weed 5 or 10 years ago?

Have clear, honest and solid answers for the written test and follow up interview. Wear professional business attire (suit), show up early and be very confident in your honest answers.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-27-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Member

Default Prep

I think there is a misconception about preping for a psych test. I'm with BOU on this. You need to review your past history and answer the questions the way YOU would answer it, not how to get around the questions. If you start thinking of how you think you should answer the question instead of how you really feel about the question....your headed down a slippery path. Be honest and whatever the results are live with it because that's why they throw these tests.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Jay I agree with you and Bou about preparation with your own answers before you show up for the psych evaluation. Itís not trying to figure out what theyíre looking for or how you think they want you to answer the questions. Itís using your own answers practiced with a recorder until they come out of your mouth the way you want them to sound like you. Not sounding like someone else that told you to go endless on your answers.

Then only answer the question thatís being asked. Nothing more. Nothing less. If the doc wants to know more they will ask you. If your first answer is all you have repeat that answer.

The written test sets up a profile of you. The docís evaluation is to confirm the evaluation. Itís like a fishing expedition.

What gets too many candidates into trouble is they volunteer information that wasnít asked. Candidates get too comfortable, chatty, ramble, create trails, and toss out information because they have been told by others they would be fine if they would just be brutally honest and leave no rock unturned. Just like Steve wrote above. All this when the doc didnít ask them for this information.

I canít believe what candidates say. When they tell me some of what they have said in their evaluation I asked them did the doc ask you that? Uh, no. Then donít be surprised why you failed.

Once you open the door the doc can come in and explore around to find something to take the wheels off your wagon.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Thread Information