Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Allentown, PA

Forum Member

Default Allentown, PA

Any more info on this department/hiring process (esp. residency requirement)? FireRecruit.com has the final filing date as March 27th.

http://www.allentownpa.gov/Governmen...0/Default.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

No residency requirement. All the info you're looking for you should be able to find here -- www.local302iaff.org

Forum Member

Thank you sir, that wasn't on there when I was browsing last night.

MembersZone Subscriber

The website states that they are establishing an eligibility list. Does this mean they are just meeting the standard of having a current list? Or do they actually plan on hiring from the list? I know Reading has at least 30 members that will have to be replaced due to the drop program. Is Allentown in the same boat with the drop program? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mick, what do you mean by a drop program?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mysticff72 View Post
    Mick, what do you mean by a drop program?

I don't know the technical parts of the drop program but basically once you reach a certain age you have to retire.

MembersZone Subscriber

The last list expires May 15th. I know for a fact that they got up to at least number 25. Like you said, it could be that they just need to have a list established because of stipulations from the union, but it's worth a shot anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD1FF View Post
    The last list expires May 15th. I know for a fact that they got up to at least number 25. Like you said, it could be that they just need to have a list established because of stipulations from the union, but it's worth a shot anyway.
    Any idea on how big the list was? Or how many people tested?

MembersZone Subscriber

You can view an actual copy of the list here http://www.local302iaff.org/Members/...ility_list.pdf -- it looks like a passing score is 70 and 155 people passed the test but I'm not sure on how many actually took it. But you can get a feel for where you might end up if you've taken a handful of other tests and know what you typically score on written exams.

Forum Member

I took the test and was number 52 on the list. Never heard anything since. Its a good department and good guys from the few i know on there.

I want to say they work 12d12d12n12n 4 off...but thats from my vague memory.
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

not to familiar with the "list". how often do they hire off it, is there a academy of sorts? I read how there process goes off there websites has anyone gone through it before? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    not to familiar with the "list". how often do they hire off it, is there a academy of sorts? I read how there process goes off there websites has anyone gone through it before? thanks
    I'm not too familiar with the list and I'm not sure how often they hire off of it. The academy is 18 weeks long according to the documents in the application packet. Never gone through their hiring process as this would be the first time.

Forum Member

anyone hear anything yett?

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing yet. However, the application deadline isn't until tomorrow. So my guess is we'll hear something within a week or two.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone hear anything about the test? The deadline past and I thought the test was being givien in April?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mysticff72 View Post
    Anyone hear anything about the test? The deadline past and I thought the test was being givien in April?
    The test was scheduled for April 18th with the location and time to be determined at a later date. Also I didn't sent my packet in for the lack of money so I have no idea about anything else. I'll still be out there anyways, visiting the inlaws for 2 weeks lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yesterday, I received my letter from Allentown giving me the date time and place of the exam. Does anyone have any idea on if or how many FF's the city plans to/might hire??

MembersZone Subscriber

I read in the local paper that the department has 35 openings.

Forum Member

35 is a nice size group. in the letter it says study guide is available at Mccanntesting.com i went there and under public safety there are the practice test you gotta buy for like $12. is that the study guide there talking about or am i missing something?? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

has everyone gotten their letter to test? i havent recieved anything and the test is less 10 days away....does anyone know of a city recruitment number to call

MembersZone Subscriber

To access the study guide, try this link: http://www.mccanntesting.com/public_...candidate.html

Then click on the link for the Firefighter M-100 study guide.

If you haven't received your letter yet, I would try 610-439-5999 and ask for the Human Resources Department and let them know of your situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I called them and they said the letters were mailed last Friday. Here it is a week later and I didn't receive one. I paid the application and when I called yesterday to ask they didn't sound to thrilled that I called.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

i just got my letter yesterday so maybe the mail is just running slow or HR in Allentown is bombarded with applicants.

Forum Member

good luck to everyone who took the test yesterday. what did everyone think of it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Same to you! I think I did well. Seemed like a good turn out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information